180 as a guarantee to any school? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
theventriloquist

Bronze

180 as a guarantee to any school?

Post by theventriloquist » Tue May 02, 2017 6:57 pm

180 as a virtual gurantee into any school, if u are URM? Aside from Yale?

I was looking at law school stats, and i could not find a 180 (or 178, 179) URM who was rejected by any school.

Does anyone know of a 180 or 179 who was rejected by Harvard down? I can not. Thank you!

grades??

Silver

Re: 180 as a guarantee to any school?

Post by grades?? » Tue May 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Please stop this. You don't have either and you have been trolling enough. I hope you get banned.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:14 pm

How about you apply to schools, and find out? /endthread

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Tue May 02, 2017 7:16 pm

No, it is not. Most applications don't stand out. At some schools, you'd need to come across as a huge asshole to get rejected with those variables. Yale is in a position where they can reject you just because. A 175 vs 180 doesn't really matter, and will probably be less relevant than your personal statement or resume.

If you really want to test this theory you could submit a ridiculous personal statement - something with pictures of rabbits you tie to a JFK conspiracy theory and see who bites and who doesn't. This would actually be useful in ascertaining whether schools bother reading the content when your numbers are above or below a certain threshsold. You may get in applying mid-cycle but rejected early cycle. I don't know exactly what the reviewers do but some periods are more competitive than others.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue May 02, 2017 7:24 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:No, it is not. Most applications don't stand out. At some schools, you'd need to come across as a huge asshole to get rejected with those variables. Yale is in a position where they can reject you just because. A 175 vs 180 doesn't really matter, and will probably be less relevant than your personal statement or resume.
A lot of people have said this. But as I was looking through law school stats, I have found that a 175 is indeed a big difference from a 178, admissions-wise. I noticed at top schools at least, a 178 is a virtual gurantee. A 175 and a low GPA has low chances, but a 178 and a low GPA is a virtual gurantee at all the T15 schools i have looked at--aside from yale or stanford.

So I am not sure why people say that it dosen't matter, as long as its 175+. When i look at the stats, it matters.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue May 02, 2017 7:34 pm

grades?? wrote:Please stop this. You don't have either and you have been trolling enough. I hope you get banned.

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Tue May 02, 2017 7:37 pm

What do you get out of making posts like these?

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Tue May 02, 2017 7:56 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:No, it is not. Most applications don't stand out. At some schools, you'd need to come across as a huge asshole to get rejected with those variables. Yale is in a position where they can reject you just because. A 175 vs 180 doesn't really matter, and will probably be less relevant than your personal statement or resume.
A lot of people have said this. But as I was looking through law school stats, I have found that a 175 is indeed a big difference from a 178, admissions-wise. I noticed at top schools at least, a 178 is a virtual gurantee. A 175 and a low GPA has low chances, but a 178 and a low GPA is a virtual gurantee at all the T15 schools i have looked at--aside from yale or stanford.

So I am not sure why people say that it dosen't matter, as long as its 175+. When i look at the stats, it matters.
It could be related to the fact that most people come across pretty similarly on paper, and there's no other objective way to rank them. It could also just be a small sample size.

There may also be a pattern between who is getting a 180 and who's getting a 175. The difference really comes down to nervousness. The 180 person is not making any anxiety induced-errors. There are a lot of studies that show black students under perform on test day, and that a major part of the racial discrepancies in standardized testing is that the demographic is as a whole underperforming relative to its actual ability. No one knows exactly why, but one factor that is relevant to every theory is that they're aware that their demographic struggles with standardized testing.

If we apply the same logic to other side of the coin - that is, a complete absence of test anxiety, you'd assume it would be the richest and preppiest kids who come from a long line of academic achievement. It could be that the 180s tend to be coming from Harvard and the 175s are a more diverse pool, and that the tie breaking factor is the degree from Harvard, not the 180.
Last edited by HonestAdvice on Tue May 02, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:01 pm

asking this question is a guarantee to not get a 180

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

It could be related to the fact that most people come across pretty similarly on paper, and there's no other objective way to rank them. It could also just be a small sample size.

There may also be a pattern between who is getting a 180 and who's getting a 175. The difference really comes down to nervousness. The 180 person is not making any anxiety induced-errors. There are a lot of studies that show black students under perform on test day, and that a major part of the racial discrepancies in standardized testing is that the demographic is as a whole underperforming relative to its actual ability. No one knows exactly why, but one factor that is relevant to every theory is that they're aware that their demographic struggles with standardized testing.

If we apply the same logic to other side of the coin - that is, a complete absence of test anxiety, you'd assume it would be the richest and preppiest kids who come from a long line of academic achievement. It could be that the 180s tend to be coming from Harvard and the 175s are a more diverse pool, and that the tie breaking factor is the degree from Harvard, not the 180.
Oh thanks, that makes sense as well.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue May 02, 2017 8:24 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:How about you apply to schools, and find out? /endthread
What is wrong with having this discussion? It can be useful to those thinking about this test.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed May 03, 2017 2:56 am

UVA2B wrote:
grades?? wrote:Please stop this. You don't have either and you have been trolling enough. I hope you get banned.
I really thought OP already got banned. So strange.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed May 03, 2017 9:40 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed May 03, 2017 9:42 am

Monday wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Not all bans are permanent.
Probably better off keeping them here in case they decide to start playing predator around BC.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed May 03, 2017 3:22 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Monday wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Probably better off keeping them here in case they decide to start playing predator around BC.
Yeah, that comment was really out there and misogynistic and gross lol

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed May 03, 2017 4:10 pm

I thought getting a 180 was a myth?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed May 03, 2017 11:56 pm

brinicolec wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Monday wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Yeah, that comment was really out there and misogynistic and gross lol
I was so shocked when I read that.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 04, 2017 6:02 am

Mikey wrote:I thought getting a 180 was a myth?
No. It's not like it's common but it's a real score. People here have got 180s and some of the test prep people boast about getting them.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu May 04, 2017 8:07 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
No. It's not like it's common but it's a real score. People here have got 180s and some of the test prep people boast about getting them.
Oh yeah I know it's possible :p I was just trying to make a funny but I guess I'm not that good at it :cry:

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 am

Mikey wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Oh yeah I know it's possible :p I was just trying to make a funny but I guess I'm not that good at it :cry:
:lol: no no! I am notoriously bad at getting funnies. (Also I am not a morning person so I should never post first thing when I wake up.)

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu May 04, 2017 9:08 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Mikey wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
:lol: no no! I am notoriously bad at getting funnies. (Also I am not a morning person so I should never post first thing when I wake up.)
:lol: get some coffee a nony! I'm not a morning person either, but once I'm awake for like an hour I start to feel fine.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”