My Chances of Getting In? Should I write an addendum? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
NotGoodWithUsernames

New

My Chances of Getting In? Should I write an addendum?

Post by NotGoodWithUsernames » Tue May 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Have never written a forum post before but was wondering if some experienced people might provide some advice on what law schools I should be looking at and whether or not I should write an addendum.

I have a 3.28 GPA from an ivy league university with a 172 LSAT score (might retake, unclear). I am Latina (Puerto Rican) and have a lot have had a non-profit internship every summer since the 11th grade. I graduated with honors in my major. Right now I'm a paralegal at a V10 law firm.

I'm not sure what law schools I should be aiming for. My dream is Duke but that might be down the toilet. My worry is my very low GPA. As an undergrad I had to work around 30hr/wk to help finance my education. Should I write an addendum to help explain my situation or is work study not considered a valid pretext warranting one?

us3rnam3

Bronze

Re: My Chances of Getting In? Should I write an addendum?

Post by us3rnam3 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:31 pm

NotGoodWithUsernames wrote:Have never written a forum post before but was wondering if some experienced people might provide some advice on what law schools I should be looking at and whether or not I should write an addendum.

I have a 3.28 GPA from an ivy league university with a 172 LSAT score (might retake, unclear). I am Latina (Puerto Rican) and have a lot have had a non-profit internship every summer since the 11th grade. I graduated with honors in my major. Right now I'm a paralegal at a V10 law firm.

I'm not sure what law schools I should be aiming for. My dream is Duke but that might be down the toilet. My worry is my very low GPA. As an undergrad I had to work around 30hr/wk to help finance my education. Should I write an addendum to help explain my situation or is work study not considered a valid pretext warranting one?
Were you a STEM major?

NotGoodWithUsernames

New

Post by NotGoodWithUsernames » Tue May 02, 2017 9:30 pm

us3rnam3 wrote:
NotGoodWithUsernames wrote:Have never written a forum post before but was wondering if some experienced people might provide some advice on what law schools I should be looking at and whether or not I should write an addendum.

Were you a STEM major?
no :( polisci and chinese double major

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Wed May 03, 2017 12:06 am

Last edited by texcellence on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drea

New

Post by Drea » Wed May 03, 2017 10:47 am

IMO, the key to writing an effective addendum is to be brief, sincere, and to not come across as whining. But sincerity is really the most important. So if that is truly the primary factor that held your grades back, definitely write one. If anything, I think it's sometimes worse to not write one and have ad coms make their own assumptions.

Also, if you make sure the rest of your application is strong, I think you'd have a shot at Duke plus other similar caliber schools. Write a dope personal statement (seriously..)and get recommendations from professors that ACTUALLY know you and can attest to your work as a student. Do that and I wouldn't be surprised if you had several good options down the road.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”