3.48, 172, half AA. Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SamuelJ.H

New

3.48, 172, half AA.

Post by SamuelJ.H » Mon May 01, 2017 7:28 am

Hey folks, details in the description - 3.48 LSAC GPA. 172 LSAT (not retaking, ever.)

I'm interested in Columbia and up. My clear downfall is my low gpa...

i'd appreciate second, third, etc. opinions on chances. Brutal honesty is the best medicine for hubris.

Thanks!
Last edited by SamuelJ.H on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

smilingorch

New

Re: 3.48, 172, half AA.

Post by smilingorch » Mon May 01, 2017 9:37 am

SamuelJ.H wrote:Hey folks, details in the description - 3.48 LSAC GPA. 172 LSAT (not retaking, ever.)
Upward trend in GPA. Two excellent letters of recommendation, one is by a professor who mentions, something to the effect of,
'one of the most intellectually minded students i've taught in 10 years as professor', 'top 1% class', 'well versed in U.S. political thought'.
I had one essay published with that same professor on an online journal.

Heritage:
Father is black, mother white. Well-to-do family.

Undergrad:
Top 30 based in california (UCI)

i'd appreciate second, third, etc. opinions on chances. Brutal honesty is the best medicine for hubris.

Thanks!
Honestly, the only answer is no one knows. You seem like a strong applicant overall. I got into Columbia with a 3.5 LSAC GPA and much lower LSAT than you, and I applied mid-Jan, was never waitlisted nor held. So, honestly, broke all of the "rules" of how to be a competitive applicant. Some people say HYS may have GPA floors. I can't attest to that, but I do know that in the admissions packet Stanford sent out, some admitted students had lower GPAs, so I don't think it will automatically kill your apps.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:42 pm

SamuelJ.H wrote:Hey folks, details in the description - 3.48 LSAC GPA. 172 LSAT (not retaking, ever.)
Upward trend in GPA. Two excellent letters of recommendation, one is by a professor who mentions, something to the effect of,
'one of the most intellectually minded students i've taught in 10 years as professor', 'top 1% class', 'well versed in U.S. political thought'.

Heritage:

Undergrad:

Thanks!
Would be surprised if you do not get into a T6. Have a shot at H. Good luck!
Last edited by hammy393 on Mon May 01, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Mon May 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Heritage:

Undergrad:

Thanks!
You're basically a hair below Harvard's unofficial floor for AA candidates. You'll get into Chicago/Columbia, toss-up at H, and I'd guess you'd be out at YS.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon May 01, 2017 1:49 pm

cheaptilts wrote:

Heritage:

Undergrad:

Thanks!
You're basically a hair below Harvard's unofficial floor for AA candidates. You'll get into Chicago/Columbia, toss-up at H, and I'd guess you'd be out at YS.
Agreed. Out at YS for sure. Id give op a 30-40% chance at H, then 80%+ at CC

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Mon May 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Heritage:

Undergrad:

Thanks!
Same exact circumstances (race/ses), one point higher on lsat, and .2 higher gpa. I'm off to H in the fall.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon May 01, 2017 6:42 pm

fips tedora wrote:

Heritage:

Undergrad:

Thanks!
Same exact circumstances (race/ses), one point higher on lsat, and .2 higher gpa. I'm off to H in the fall.
That .2 gpa difference is a big difference here, considering H's gpa floor for URMs is a 3.5. That means you are over that floor, but OP is still below. Best of luck at H.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Very limited sample size but this is data for AA only, 170-175,3.4-3.49: http://mylsn.info/f5hlse/

SamuelJ.H

New

Post by SamuelJ.H » Fri May 05, 2017 12:39 am

Thank you guys, appreciate the feedback :)

Drea

New

Post by Drea » Fri May 05, 2017 7:58 am

grades?? wrote:
fips tedora wrote:

Heritage:

Undergrad:

Thanks!
That .2 gpa difference is a big difference here, considering H's gpa floor for URMs is a 3.5. That means you are over that floor, but OP is still below. Best of luck at H.
There's no floor.

G_willy

New

Post by G_willy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:54 am

I am going to chime in and say that S and Y seem to have GPA floors. I don't want to discourage you from applying, obviously apply! My advice, perhaps attach an addendum explaining why your GPA is <3.5. Hopefully you have a GPA that is trending upwards. If you do, you are in much better shape. An LSAT >170 though is going to turn heads in the t6. I'd say you are a lock at CCN, in at H most likely, Y/S are a stretch but write a strategic addendum and apply.

Just go to LSN and throw the URM filter on and it'll give you a better idea. Remember LSN numbers are self reported and likely bias upwards.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:35 am

I have about a dozen URM acquaintances with 3.9X/16X who were shoe-ins at every law school besides YLS.

I think you're a lock at CCN, if that's all you're looking for. They probably won't give you any money, though...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”