I was fired over law school Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Dondraper88

New

I was fired over law school

Post by Dondraper88 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:05 am

My domineering and I think mental ill former boss found out I got accepted to NU and decided to fire me. She made up a lie about getting called by the law school for a reference, but I wasn't even working there when I applied to school. I believe she googled me and found my social media account. She went to some unranked law school I never heard of, so this is probably based on insecurity to stroke her fragile ego. She told me 'i didn't show interest in the job' and 'this job isnt a stopgap' yeah because coming to work everyday on time and doing my job shows a lack of interest. What makes this most disappointing is she is a black woman 30 years my senior and is punishing a young black man for attempting to better himself. She should have outgrown this level of pettiness decades ago.

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: I was fired over law school

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:09 am

sorry to hear but just view it as going on vacation slightly earlier than you planned!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:10 am

It's good she showed her true colors now, when they basically don't matter.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:04 pm

It's all good, just imagine how much she will hate when she finds out you are doing even bigger things!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Dondraper88 wrote:My domineering and I think mental ill former boss found out I got accepted to NU and decided to fire me. She made up a lie about getting called by the law school for a reference, but I wasn't even working there when I applied to school. I believe she googled me and found my social media account. She went to some unranked law school I never heard of, so this is probably based on insecurity to stroke her fragile ego. She told me 'i didn't show interest in the job' and 'this job isnt a stopgap' yeah because coming to work everyday on time and doing my job shows a lack of interest. What makes this most disappointing is she is a black woman 30 years my senior and is punishing a young black man for attempting to better himself. She should have outgrown this level of pettiness decades ago.
It always upsets me when this happens in our community--we should be supporting each other.

Chin up. You're going to be on top of the world in no time. Congrats on NU!

ThePoetKnowsIt

New

Post by ThePoetKnowsIt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:30 pm

In the slightly misquoted words of Anderson .Paak, "what doesn't kill you is motivation"

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Dondraper88 wrote:My domineering and I think mental ill former boss found out I got accepted to NU and decided to fire me. She made up a lie about getting called by the law school for a reference, but I wasn't even working there when I applied to school. I believe she googled me and found my social media account. She went to some unranked law school I never heard of, so this is probably based on insecurity to stroke her fragile ego. She told me 'i didn't show interest in the job' and 'this job isnt a stopgap' yeah because coming to work everyday on time and doing my job shows a lack of interest. What makes this most disappointing is she is a black woman 30 years my senior and is punishing a young black man for attempting to better himself. She should have outgrown this level of pettiness decades ago.
I'm sorry opp, but this is quite odd. I'm pretty sure such a practice is actually illegal within the United States and Canada.
At my workplace - I'm super transparent with my boss(es) and have told her/them about every step of my application journey. They've been super helpful and two of them wrote my LORs.

edit - I've talked to a lawyer friend and they say that this is definitely illegal if it NOT performance related. So yeah, ball is in your court.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:10 am

This was a legitimate fear of mine (yet I haven't told my boss yet..) but I've realized that telling my employers about law school during the interview process hurt me salary-wise and likely with opportunities since they figured I would be gone in under 3 years.

Your boss sounds terrible and it seems like you got out of a bad work situation. Maybe finding part-time job(s) would help with the bills and keep you from just wasting away all summer.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:15 am

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
I'm sorry opp, but this is quite odd. I'm pretty sure such a practice is actually illegal within the United States and Canada.
At my workplace - I'm super transparent with my boss(es) and have told her/them about every step of my application journey. They've been super helpful and two of them wrote my LORs.

edit - I've talked to a lawyer friend and they say that this is definitely illegal if it NOT performance related. So yeah, ball is in your court.
Yeah don't give out legal advice on this forum: (1) because it's not allowed, (2) you're not a lawyer, and (3) especially when it's wrong.

Alpal29

New

Post by Alpal29 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:36 am

Mullens wrote:

Yeah don't give out legal advice on this forum: (1) because it's not allowed, (2) you're not a lawyer, and (3) especially when it's wrong.
+1

Future reference to literally everyone else. Don't tell your employers you're applying to law school or you're going to law school until you want to end that employment. They can, and will fire you. Legally.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:04 am

Later on you are likely going to need a reference from your boss for C&F purposes.

Also check the language on your application to see if you need to update your school and let them know you've been fired.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:10 am

albanach wrote:Later on you are likely going to need a reference from your boss for C&F purposes.

Also check the language on your application to see if you need to update your school and let them know you've been fired.
Usually those letters just confirm employment, etc. I don't think oP has too much to worry about.

What law school apps require you to update if you leave a job? It's been a long time since I applied but I don't remember that.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:21 am

Npret wrote:
albanach wrote:Later on you are likely going to need a reference from your boss for C&F purposes.

Usually those letters just confirm employment, etc. I don't think oP has too much to worry about.

What law school apps require you to update if you leave a job? It's been a long time since I applied but I don't remember that.
Non of the places I applied to said anything like that on the app. They just said work experience.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:25 am

Npret wrote:

The point I was flagging is that C&F will reach out to the employer. They can make things difficult by ignoring them, refusing to confirm employment or by making a malicious or vindictive statement. The last C&F I did definitely asked reason for leaving and they did reach out to my employers to confirm.

Virginia's Character and Fitness form requires all employment in the past ten years or since age 18 and for each position asks, "Reason for Leaving/Unemployment (please attach explanation on separate sheet of paper if longer than the 3 lines)".

As to applications, mine certainly asked for both employment history and reason for leaving. Here's what the UVA instructions say:

"Failure to disclose an act or event is often more significant, and can lead to more serious consequences, than the act or event itself. Once the application has been submitted, you have a continuing duty to inform the Admissions Office of any changes in the information in the application, or of any new information without which the application as previously submitted would be inaccurate or incomplete."

Reading that, I would believe that being fired would require an update.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am

albanach wrote:
Npret wrote:

The point I was flagging is that C&F will reach out to the employer. They can make things difficult by ignoring them, refusing to confirm employment or by making a malicious or vindictive statement. The last C&F I did definitely asked reason for leaving and they did reach out to my employers to confirm.

Virginia's Character and Fitness form requires all employment in the past ten years or since age 18 and for each position asks, "Reason for Leaving/Unemployment (please attach explanation on separate sheet of paper if longer than the 3 lines)".

As to applications, mine certainly asked for both employment history and reason for leaving. Here's what the UVA instructions say:

"Failure to disclose an act or event is often more significant, and can lead to more serious consequences, than the act or event itself. Once the application has been submitted, you have a continuing duty to inform the Admissions Office of any changes in the information in the application, or of any new information without which the application as previously submitted would be inaccurate or incomplete."

Reading that, I would believe that being fired would require an update.
You think everyone who applied to UVA or even is attending updates them when they leave a job for whatever reason? I think this is blown out of proportion myself.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

Npret wrote: You think everyone who applied to UVA or even is attending updates them when they leave a job for whatever reason? I think this is blown out of proportion myself.
No, and I never said I did.

I do, however, think being fired is a material change to an application. I think reporting it is unlikely to have a material effect on the application, and has the potential to save you from a ton of grief during C&F. I've been through C&F and was asked questions about a very old termination. When answering such questions it's a lot more comfortable if you've been open and consistent throughout.

That said, I speak only for myself. I have no idea what school op is applying to nor which state (s)he intends to practice in. Perhaps the school/state has no such requirements. YMMV.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:51 am

Whoa terrible! Success is the best revenge. She'll keep googling you, so be sure to stay up top!

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:58 am

Definitely try and get some unemployment comp out of this if you can

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:58 am

albanach wrote:
Npret wrote: You think everyone who applied to UVA or even is attending updates them when they leave a job for whatever reason? I think this is blown out of proportion myself.
No, and I never said I did.

I do, however, think being fired is a material change to an application. I think reporting it is unlikely to have a material effect on the application, and has the potential to save you from a ton of grief during C&F. I've been through C&F and was asked questions about a very old termination. When answering such questions it's a lot more comfortable if you've been open and consistent throughout.

That said, I speak only for myself. I have no idea what school op is applying to nor which state (s)he intends to practice in. Perhaps the school/state has no such requirements. YMMV.
Fair enough.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:14 am

Mullens wrote:

Whoops. my bad - ddint know abou that rule. My apologies.
As to OP, that really sucks. It leaked where i worked that I'm applying to law school and its been very well received. I had no idea you could be fired for this. Can he at least get unemployment?

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Sucks, OP. I was a car salesman before law school and when my dealership found out I got in they started interfering in my deals to make sure they didn't go through. The idea was I'd starve out and quit so they wouldn't have to pay me unemployment. Ultimately I did just that cuz it was such a hostile environment and I was making no money.

You should think of this as an incentive to crush law school. Every time you're thinking of chilling on the studying just remember your boss and how much you want to succeed just to stick it to them!

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Mullens wrote:

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Redfactor wrote:
Mullens wrote:

It is perfectly legal for EITHER party (employer or employee) to terminate employment at anytime for any reason, so long as it is not an illegal (discriminatory) reason.
Remember, the same law that allows a company to fire you also allows you to quit. If you have an employment K, it not only prevents your boss from firing you without notice or reason, it prevents you from QUITTING without notice or reason.
This is why most people (including lawyers) don't sign binding employment contracts.

OP, I'm really sorry that happened to you.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”