3.3 and 175 Black rejected---WHY? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
theventriloquist

Bronze

3.3 and 175 Black rejected---WHY?

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 pm

3.3 and 175 Black male -- rejected at Harvard

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jnwa

Another URM with same numbers, rehected

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/VioletVol

WHY?

Was it the essay, or EC?

I want to know b/c I have very low gpa and 177 and want to see what they did wrong. thank you all!

grades??

Silver

Re: 3.3 and 175 Black rejected---WHY?

Post by grades?? » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:22 pm

This advice has been repeated before- you should not go to law school. Stop asking people to help you. Go be an investment banker.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:23 pm

another disturbing number:

172 and 3.8 GPA!!! Rejected by HARVARD!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bscotch

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:23 pm

grades?? wrote:This advice has been repeated before- you should not go to law school. Stop asking people to help you. Go be an investment banker.

WFT??? I want to be a lawyer

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:24 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
grades?? wrote:This advice has been repeated before- you should not go to law school. Stop asking people to help you. Go be an investment banker.

Sorry, wrong thread. But why are you lying? This is your post history:

2.9, 177 AA-Hispanic Mixed; Gay

Master's in biology (3.4)

Do I have good chance early decision at Boston University Law? (they have full ride). Or George Washington early decision (also full ride)? Thank you everyone!

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:24 pm

H has traditionally had a URM (hard) floor of around 3.5, that's why.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:24 pm

what is going on here

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:25 pm

grades?? wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

Sorry, wrong thread. But why are you lying? This is your post history:

2.9, 177 AA-Hispanic Mixed; Gay

Master's in biology (3.4)

Do I have good chance early decision at Boston University Law? (they have full ride). Or George Washington early decision (also full ride)? Thank you everyone!
no; no. But you have a good chance of admission with $.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:25 pm

bwaldorf wrote:what is going on here
OP is lying, thats what

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:28 pm

grades?? wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:what is going on here
OP is lying, thats what
WTF are u talking about? Lying about what?

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm

also being black is not sufficient for getting into Harvard lol you're acting like it just entitles you to a spot no matter what
Last edited by waldorf on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm

cheaptilts wrote:H has traditionally had a URM (hard) floor of around 3.5, that's why.
Oh yeah it does seem like that

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:31 pm

bwaldorf wrote:also being black is not sufficient for getting into Harvard lol you're acting like it just entitles you to a spot no matter what
Well from my udnerstanding, a black w/ 175 is a real unusual case--like maybe one or two of them each cycle. So I thought that they would get into HYS. That is what a number of people have told me, but i guess not then.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:31 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:also being black is not sufficient for getting into Harvard lol you're acting like it just entitles you to a spot no matter what
Well from my udnerstanding, a black w/ 175 is a real unusual case--like maybe one or two of them each cycle. So I thought that they would get into HYS. That is what a number of people have told me, but i guess not then.
"a black" :shock:

sigree

Bronze

Post by sigree » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:35 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
Your previous post should be said with the expression of Blair's face in your profile pic lol

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:39 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
Yeah, that's not true. A 3.5/166 AA would fare much better than a 2.8/176 AA candidate. You should focus less on where others have been admitted, though, and just focus on your own application/blanketing the T-14/making sure all of your apps are in order. This thread is pretty unnecessary, especially considering you could have just tried messaging the profiles of the people you inquired about.

Good luck with admissions!

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:41 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
"A black" I'M SCREAMING! This entire post is a mess XD

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:43 pm

cheaptilts wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
Yeah, that's not true. A 3.5/166 AA would fare much better than a 2.8/176 AA candidate. You should focus less on where others have been admitted, though, and just focus on your own application/blanketing the T-14/making sure all of your apps are in order. This thread is pretty unnecessary, especially considering you could have just tried messaging the profiles of the people you inquired about.

Good luck with admissions!
This is the right answer. A below 3.0 GPA does not scream academic success for any reason. We have also told you that your 3.4 grad gpa will hurt that narrative as well. Stop worrying, you wont get into YHS, but you will get into a lot of t13 places with money. Its how it is.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:43 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
Dude I remember your other thread. As we told you, it is possible, but uncertain. Your GPA is not doing you any favors, but your LSAT and minority status makes you a wildcard who could possibly get in. Nobody told you "you will get into Harvard". We don't know. We can't know.

Also please don't use your skin color as if that gives you an entitlement to get into a school. It shouldn't matter if someone is white, black, purple, green, or anything. Being a URM will most likely give you a leg up on someone with equivalent numbers, but it doesn't get you there on it's own. Just because someone is black does not make it surprising that they didn't make it into Harvard. If the numbers aren't there, then they're a wildcard, just like you will be. Hence why people told you to try all of the t-14, and potentially go ED at Northwestern since they're splitter friendly.

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:53 pm

I imagine Harvard would rather take "a black" with a track record of busting their ass over several years and a slightly lower score on a 3.5 hour test, as opposed to "a black" who is super smart but has a track record of phoning it in.

Also aren't you Dominican? You know you're basically the equivalent of "a white" in your country of origin. It would be somewhat ironic if you benefited from affirmative action here in the US while also benefiting from institutionalized and structural racism against darker-skinned folks (I.e. Haitians) in the DR.

But hey, hopefully adcomms just see you as "a black".

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Oh thanks everyone.

I didn't realize that a low GPA would make it virtually impossible. But thanks everyone. I'll be applying to the T14, and I think I can write a good essay. but yeah, I guess I sort of have my hopes destroyed for Harvard.

I made a number of wrong decisions. I went into a subject--biology--that was my least favorite. I enjoyed Psychology, physics and math--I should have majored in that instead. I got good grades in those classes. I went into biology b/c my parents forced me and wanted me to become a doctor.

Oh well, I should have been more forceful. I should have been more decisive and majored in something I enjoyed. I took a few upper level math and psychology classes, and got all A's.

But i suppose life is about making decisions, and then living with them. i made those decisions and now i have to live with them

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Deserving Porcupine wrote:I imagine Harvard would rather take "a black" with a track record of busting their ass over several years and a slightly lower score on a 3.5 hour test, as opposed to "a black" who is super smart but has a track record of phoning it in.

Also aren't you Dominican? You know you're basically the equivalent of "a white" in your country of origin. It would be somewhat ironic if you benefited from affirmative action here in the US while also benefiting from institutionalized and structural racism against darker-skinned folks (I.e. Haitians) in the DR.

But hey, hopefully adcomms just see you as "a black".
I never lived outside of the US in my life; I don't know what you are talking about benefitting from racism in DR. I look like a black, my farther is black, and have lived in the US my whole life.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:05 pm

I fell it was my stupid parents who put me in this situation. my parents forced me to major in a stupid subject i did not like and was not good in, and then they told me that gpa does not matter for medical school and that i should major in a difficult major because it looks good! and they forced me!

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:06 pm

theventriloquist wrote:I fell it was my stupid parents who put me in this situation. my parents forced me to major in a stupid subject i did not like and was not good in, and then they told me that gpa does not matter for medical school and that i should major in a difficult major because it looks good! and they forced me!
Why are you telling this to the internet? Anyway, you should probably take a break and gain some work experience before applying to schools. It will be a good way to distance yourself from your GPA. Law school admissions committees won't care about why your grades are what they are, absent a compelling reason. Your reason isn't really compelling.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:08 pm

theventriloquist wrote:I fell it was my stupid parents who put me in this situation. my parents forced me to major in a stupid subject i did not like and was not good in, and then they told me that gpa does not matter for medical school and that i should major in a difficult major because it looks good! and they forced me!
You aren't in a bad situation because you can't go to HYS. Most T14 applicants can't.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”