3.3 and 175 Black rejected---WHY? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Kimmysradscreenname

New

Re: 3.3 and 175 Black rejected---WHY?

Post by Kimmysradscreenname » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:05 pm

OP- Just want to throw this possibility out there, in case you are who you say you are: it's marginally possible that profile you found on LSN is fake. It is not common, but it does happen- there are some bored people on the intertubes, hence the several glances cast askance at your many posts. You could be one of them. For someone who wants to be a lawyer, your writing (even by internet standards) is phrenetic at best. Calm down, and definitely hire a consultant.

cgeezyy

New

Post by cgeezyy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:00 pm

You are aware that Hispanic/Latino is not a race and that there are many Dominicans of African descent right? lol :shock:
Deserving Porcupine wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
theventriloquist wrote: I'l put 1/2 black and 1/2 hispanic, and if then ask for specifics, I'll specify.
Well, gee, I must just be a psychic then because 2 minutes before posting I definitely found that in your post history, and now it seems to be gone.

Anyway, you are right, there is never any institutionalized racism in "3rd world" countries, certainly not in places like South Africa, Haiti, or the DR :roll:

Also, putting half black and half Hispanic if you are actually 100% Dominican would be lying. Most schools will ask you to specify what type of Latino you are anyhow.

I'm not 100% Dominican.
If you have one parent who is African American, and another who is Hispanic, then it would not be lying. Your post history, including your now-deleted reference to being a Dominican immigrant, led me to assume this was not the case. Granted, that was an assumption on my part.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Kimmysradscreenname wrote:OP- Just want to throw this possibility out there, in case you are who you say you are: it's marginally possible that profile you found on LSN is fake. It is not common, but it does happen- there are some bored people on the intertubes, hence the several glances cast askance at your many posts. You could be one of them. For someone who wants to be a lawyer, your writing (even by internet standards) is phrenetic at best. Calm down, and definitely hire a consultant.
Yeah maybe. but thank you to everyone. thank you, everyone for the advice, it was all very helpful!

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
Kimmysradscreenname wrote:OP- Just want to throw this possibility out there, in case you are who you say you are: it's marginally possible that profile you found on LSN is fake. It is not common, but it does happen- there are some bored people on the intertubes, hence the several glances cast askance at your many posts. You could be one of them. For someone who wants to be a lawyer, your writing (even by internet standards) is phrenetic at best. Calm down, and definitely hire a consultant.
Yeah maybe. but thank you to everyone. thank you, everyone for the advice, it was all very helpful!
nah fam. Not fake. Also i had a 173.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:56 am

cgeezyy wrote:You are aware that Hispanic/Latino is not a race and that there are many Dominicans of African descent right? lol :shock:
theventriloquist wrote:
theventriloquist wrote: I'l put 1/2 black and 1/2 hispanic, and if then ask for specifics, I'll specify.
Well, gee, I must just be a psychic then because 2 minutes before posting I definitely found that in your post history, and now it seems to be gone.

Anyway, you are right, there is never any institutionalized racism in "3rd world" countries, certainly not in places like South Africa, Haiti, or the DR :roll:

Also, putting half black and half Hispanic if you are actually 100% Dominican would be lying. Most schools will ask you to specify what type of Latino you are anyhow.

I'm not 100% Dominican.
If you have one parent who is African American, and another who is Hispanic, then it would not be lying. Your post history, including your now-deleted reference to being a Dominican immigrant, led me to assume this was not the case. Granted, that was an assumption on my part.
This gets tricky because for the purpose of applications and stuff, you can identify yourself as Hispanic. Additionally, if someone has consistently identified themselves as Hispanic and is now only claiming African American/Black during the application process, that's incredibly problematic, regardless of whether or not they're of African descent.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 am

"Claiming" Dominican heritage is in no way equivalent to claiming not to be black. No idea where people are getting this stuff. Plenty of people are simultaneously black and hispanic. They might primarily ID with their culture instead of their skin color, in the same way any immigrant/first gen might. But they don't have to pick between their skin color and their ethnicity, any more than, eg, Italian-Americans do.

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:53 am

The point I was trying to articulate, as I think brinicolec was also, was that yes, a Dominican immigrant or a Nigerian immigrant may technically be Americans of African descent. They are not, however, the folks affirmative action was designed to help, and admissions committees may very well consider that. As a percent of the population, Nigerian immigrants are NOT under represented in fields like law or medicine. Neither are Argentineans or Chileans though they are, in fact, Hispanic. I mean, that is the reason why not all latinxs receive a URM bump. It is pretty much only those of Mexican and Puerto Rican origin that are considered as under represented for affirmative action purposes. Saying you identify as African American while obfuscating the fact that you are, in fact, a more recent immigrant from Nigeria, Dominica, South Africa, etc. in the hopes of receiving a URM bump may not technically be lying, but it is certainly dishonest. Not saying this is necessarily what the OP purposes to do, though they kind of led us to believe that they might, by identifying a certain way and only giving further details "if asked".
Last edited by Deserving Porcupine on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:59 am

Deserving Porcupine wrote:The point I was trying to articulate, as I think brinicolec was also, was that yes, a Dominican immigrant or a Nigerian immigrant may technically be Americans of African descent. They are not, however, the folks affirmative action was designed to help, and admissions committees may very well consider that. As a percent of the population, Nigerian immigrants are NOT under represents I'm fields like law or medicine. Neither are Argentineans or Chileans though they are, in fact, Hispanic. I mean, that is the reason why not all latinxs receive a URM bump. It is pretty much only those of Mexican and Puerto Rican origin that are considered as under represented for affirmative action purposes. Saying you identify as African American while obfuscating the fact that you are, in fact, a more recent immigrant from Nigeria, Dominica, South Africa, etc. in the hopes of receiving a URM bump may not technically be lying, but it is certainly dishonest. Not saying this is necessarily what the OP purposes to do, though they kind of led us to believe that they might, by identifying a certain way and only giving further details "if asked".
OP was banned for another post so I wouldn't sweat it.

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:07 am

Npret wrote:
Deserving Porcupine wrote:The point I was trying to articulate, as I think brinicolec was also, was that yes, a Dominican immigrant or a Nigerian immigrant may technically be Americans of African descent. They are not, however, the folks affirmative action was designed to help, and admissions committees may very well consider that. As a percent of the population, Nigerian immigrants are NOT under represents I'm fields like law or medicine. Neither are Argentineans or Chileans though they are, in fact, Hispanic. I mean, that is the reason why not all latinxs receive a URM bump. It is pretty much only those of Mexican and Puerto Rican origin that are considered as under represented for affirmative action purposes. Saying you identify as African American while obfuscating the fact that you are, in fact, a more recent immigrant from Nigeria, Dominica, South Africa, etc. in the hopes of receiving a URM bump may not technically be lying, but it is certainly dishonest. Not saying this is necessarily what the OP purposes to do, though they kind of led us to believe that they might, by identifying a certain way and only giving further details "if asked".
OP was banned for another post so I wouldn't sweat it.
Lol, good, I was pretty much done with this thread anyhow.

cgeezyy

New

Post by cgeezyy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:35 pm

brinicolec wrote:
cgeezyy wrote:You are aware that Hispanic/Latino is not a race and that there are many Dominicans of African descent right? lol :shock:
theventriloquist wrote:

I'm not 100% Dominican.
This gets tricky because for the purpose of applications and stuff, you can identify yourself as Hispanic. Additionally, if someone has consistently identified themselves as Hispanic and is now only claiming African American/Black during the application process, that's incredibly problematic, regardless of whether or not they're of African descent.
I understand what you mean, however, there are many people who identify as afro-latino/a, so some of porcupine's statements could be misinformation for those who do identify in that way. :D

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:17 am

cgeezyy wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

I'm not 100% Dominican.
I understand what you mean, however, there are many people who identify as afro-latino/a, so some of porcupine's statements could be misinformation for those who do identify in that way. :D
True but op doesn't seem to be one of those ppl lol

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue May 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Deserving Porcupine wrote:The point I was trying to articulate, as I think brinicolec was also, was that yes, a Dominican immigrant or a Nigerian immigrant may technically be Americans of African descent. They are not, however, the folks affirmative action was designed to help, and admissions committees may very well consider that. As a percent of the population, Nigerian immigrants are NOT under represented in fields like law or medicine. Neither are Argentineans or Chileans though they are, in fact, Hispanic. I mean, that is the reason why not all latinxs receive a URM bump. It is pretty much only those of Mexican and Puerto Rican origin that are considered as under represented for affirmative action purposes. Saying you identify as African American while obfuscating the fact that you are, in fact, a more recent immigrant from Nigeria, Dominica, South Africa, etc. in the hopes of receiving a URM bump may not technically be lying, but it is certainly dishonest. Not saying this is necessarily what the OP purposes to do, though they kind of led us to believe that they might, by identifying a certain way and only giving further details "if asked".
I'm not concerned about being "dishonest"; I am concerned with getting into law school.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue May 02, 2017 5:54 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
Deserving Porcupine wrote:The point I was trying to articulate, as I think brinicolec was also, was that yes, a Dominican immigrant or a Nigerian immigrant may technically be Americans of African descent. They are not, however, the folks affirmative action was designed to help, and admissions committees may very well consider that. As a percent of the population, Nigerian immigrants are NOT under represented in fields like law or medicine. Neither are Argentineans or Chileans though they are, in fact, Hispanic. I mean, that is the reason why not all latinxs receive a URM bump. It is pretty much only those of Mexican and Puerto Rican origin that are considered as under represented for affirmative action purposes. Saying you identify as African American while obfuscating the fact that you are, in fact, a more recent immigrant from Nigeria, Dominica, South Africa, etc. in the hopes of receiving a URM bump may not technically be lying, but it is certainly dishonest. Not saying this is necessarily what the OP purposes to do, though they kind of led us to believe that they might, by identifying a certain way and only giving further details "if asked".
I'm not concerned about being "dishonest"; I am concerned with getting into law school.
I wasn't concerned with this line of discussion until your comment. You are more worried about getting into law school than you are about being dishonest? So you would then admit being dishonest in your application to get into law school would therefore not be an issue? Shame on you.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue May 02, 2017 6:01 pm

grades?? wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
I wasn't concerned with this line of discussion until your comment. You are more worried about getting into law school than you are about being dishonest? So you would then admit being dishonest in your application to get into law school would therefore not be an issue? Shame on you.
I'm not being dishonest in my application.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue May 02, 2017 8:01 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
grades?? wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
I'm not being dishonest in my application.
It sounds like you're inconsistent in how you identify your race, which is dishonest.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”