3.3 and 175 Black rejected---WHY? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Deserving Porcupine

New

Re: 3.3 and 175 Black rejected---WHY?

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:09 pm

In your previous thread, you said you were a Dominican immigrant, so which is it? Despite your "farther" looking black, he still likely benefited from institutionalized racism in the DR.

In any case, some schools don't really apply URM bumps to Hispanics who aren't Mexican or Puerto Rican, not sure about other immigrants of African descent... But you probably shouldn't really count on a URM boost.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:11 pm

theventriloquist wrote:Oh thanks everyone.
I didn't realize that a low GPA would make it virtually impossible.
Actually yes you did. In your other thread you thought you didn't have a chance at a top school till some of us told you to set your sights higher (which is correct, you absolutely should aim high) but don't have unrealistic expectations. Your GPA sucks, and GPA/LSAT are far and away the primary stats necessary for law school admissions.
theventriloquist wrote:But thanks everyone. I'll be applying to the T14, and I think I can write a good essay. but yeah, I guess I sort of have my hopes destroyed for Harvard.
Not destroyed, just uncertain. It's still possible, and maybe you can make it happen, but just don't get your hopes up.
theventriloquist wrote:I made a number of wrong decisions. I went into a subject--biology--that was my least favorite. I enjoyed Psychology, physics and math--I should have majored in that instead. I got good grades in those classes. I went into biology b/c my parents forced me and wanted me to become a doctor.

Oh well, I should have been more forceful. I should have been more decisive and majored in something I enjoyed. I took a few upper level math and psychology classes, and got all A's.

But i suppose life is about making decisions, and then living with them. i made those decisions and now i have to live with them
That all should be in your addendum you write explaining the low GPA. Don't make excuses. Tell them you made a mistake, you've learned from it, and your LSAT shows that you have refocused your efforts, and that the 177 is representative of who you currently are. Also don't blame your parents. It was not your parents fault, it was your fault. You need to admit that and then put it on the addendum essay. Take ownership, don't come across like you're blaming someone else, and show the admissions office that you're better than that now.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:20 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:
Actually yes you did. In your other thread you thought you didn't have a chance at a top school till some of us told you to set your sights higher (which is correct, you absolutely should aim high) but don't have unrealistic expectations. Your GPA sucks, and GPA/LSAT are far and away the primary stats necessary for law school admissions.
theventriloquist wrote:But thanks everyone. I'll be applying to the T14, and I think I can write a good essay. but yeah, I guess I sort of have my hopes destroyed for Harvard.
Not destroyed, just uncertain. It's still possible, and maybe you can make it happen, but just don't get your hopes up.
theventriloquist wrote:I made a number of wrong decisions. I went into a subject--biology--that was my least favorite. I enjoyed Psychology, physics and math--I should have majored in that instead. I got good grades in those classes. I went into biology b/c my parents forced me and wanted me to become a doctor.

Oh well, I should have been more forceful. I should have been more decisive and majored in something I enjoyed. I took a few upper level math and psychology classes, and got all A's.

But i suppose life is about making decisions, and then living with them. i made those decisions and now i have to live with them
That all should be in your addendum you write explaining the low GPA. Don't make excuses. Tell them you made a mistake, you've learned from it, and your LSAT shows that you have refocused your efforts, and that the 177 is representative of who you currently are. Also don't blame your parents. It was not your parents fault, it was your fault. You need to admit that and then put it on the addendum essay. Take ownership, don't come across like you're blaming someone else, and show the admissions office that you're better than that now.
thanks for the advice. But here's the thing: I am just completing a biology master's! So I can't make that excuse really. Oh well, I'll be ok with a T14. No use crying over spilt milk!

But you should know my dad! He would break things in the home when I said I wanted to change majors and yell so much! Not easy situation!

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Deserving Porcupine wrote:In your previous thread, you said you were a Dominican immigrant, so which is it? Despite your "farther" looking black, he still likely benefited from institutionalized racism in the DR.

In any case, some schools don't really apply URM bumps to Hispanics who aren't Mexican or Puerto Rican, not sure about other immigrants of African descent... But you probably shouldn't really count on a URM boost.
When did I even say Dominican? I have no clue what u are talking about benefitting from racism in third world country or whatever. I'l put 1/2 black and 1/2 hispanic, and if then ask for specifics, I'll specify.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:

thanks for the advice. But here's the thing: I am just completing a biology master's! So I can't make that excuse really. Oh well, I'll be ok with a T14. No use crying over spilt milk!

But you should know my dad! He would break things in the home when I said I wanted to change majors and yell so much! Not easy situation!

I'll be the first to call flame on this thread. I don't understand why OP is cultivating new threads when OP had plenty of advice from the previous thread. We get it, you did a Biology major because your parents pushed you into it. Tears. I have an unfounded suspicion that OP hasn't sat for that LSAT yet, but envisions a score in this range. OP keeps seeking assurance about his odds and griping at the prospects of being denied admittance into HLS. Who cares? Send your 177(?) and GPA everywhere and see what happens. At this point, no one here can give you "advice" about where the chips might fall. Post your PS if you need further comments.

Edit: Grammar

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:38 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:

I'll be the first to call flame on this thread. I don't understand why OP is cultivating new threads when OP had plenty of advice from the previous thread. We get it, you did a Biology major because your parents pushed you into it. Tears. I have an unfounded suspicion that OP hasn't sat for that LSAT yet, but envisions a score in this range. OP keeps seeking assurance about his odds and griping at the prospects of being denied admittance into HLS. Who cares? Send your 177(?) and GPA everywhere and see what happens. At this point, no one here can give you "advice" about where the chips might fall. Post your PS if you need further comments.

Maybe. All the 0Ls seem addicted to the Harvard prestige.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:39 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:

Ok thank you. Ok thank you for all the advice. I'm working on my PS. I might buy a professional admission consultant to review, but thanks to everyone

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:40 pm

theventriloquist wrote: I'l put 1/2 black and 1/2 hispanic, and if then ask for specifics, I'll specify.
Well, gee, I must just be a psychic then because 2 minutes before posting I definitely found that in your post history, and now it seems to be gone.

Anyway, you are right, there is never any institutionalized racism in "3rd world" countries, certainly not in places like South Africa, Haiti, or the DR :roll:

Also, putting half black and half Hispanic if you are actually 100% Dominican would be lying. Most schools will ask you to specify what type of Latino you are anyhow.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:42 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:also being black is not sufficient for getting into Harvard lol you're acting like it just entitles you to a spot no matter what
Well from my udnerstanding, a black w/ 175 is a real unusual case--like maybe one or two of them each cycle. So I thought that they would get into HYS. That is what a number of people have told me, but i guess not then.
A number of people told you you would have a shot at H. Not that you would be admitted.

It looks like you're asking why others were denied, not saying you were denied. That's why folk thought you were lying - because your recent thread implied that you are applying next cycle.

As you were told previously, apply to the T-20. You will likely have mixed results but have a got shot of acceptance to a good school.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:44 pm

albanach wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:also being black is not sufficient for getting into Harvard lol you're acting like it just entitles you to a spot no matter what
Well from my udnerstanding, a black w/ 175 is a real unusual case--like maybe one or two of them each cycle. So I thought that they would get into HYS. That is what a number of people have told me, but i guess not then.
A number of people told you you would have a shot at H. Not that you would be admitted.

It looks like you're asking why others were denied, not saying you were denied. That's why folk thought you were lying - because your recent thread implied that you are applying next cycle.

As you were told previously, apply to the T-20. You will likely have mixed results but have a got shot of acceptance to a good school.
I'm gonna apply this cycle, first time. Yeah I wanted to know why those other guys were denied, so I know what they did wrong.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Deserving Porcupine wrote:
theventriloquist wrote: I'l put 1/2 black and 1/2 hispanic, and if then ask for specifics, I'll specify.
Well, gee, I must just be a psychic then because 2 minutes before posting I definitely found that in your post history, and now it seems to be gone.

Anyway, you are right, there is never any institutionalized racism in "3rd world" countries, certainly not in places like South Africa, Haiti, or the DR :roll:

Also, putting half black and half Hispanic if you are actually 100% Dominican would be lying. Most schools will ask you to specify what type of Latino you are anyhow.

I'm not 100% Dominican.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:46 pm

theventriloquist wrote:I'm gonna apply this cycle, first time. Yeah I wanted to know why those other guys were denied, so I know what they did wrong.
Not trying to be mean, but for someone who got a 177 LSAT, you sure ask a lot of questions you should already know the answers to.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:50 pm

bwaldorf wrote:what is going on here
+180

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:51 pm

theventriloquist wrote:

I'm not 100% Dominican.
If you have one parent who is African American, and another who is Hispanic, then it would not be lying. Your post history, including your now-deleted reference to being a Dominican immigrant, led me to assume this was not the case. Granted, that was an assumption on my part.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Okay, wtf.

Is it a 2.9, 177 or a 3.3, 175???????????????? Those are two completely different sets of stats. Meanwhile, you're clearly having some sort of racial identity crisis....

Is this a flame?
Gotta be a flame.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Definitely calling flame. OP has like three different posts with three different sets of stats and three different racial identities asking about his chances places.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:01 pm

brinicolec wrote:Okay, wtf.

Is it a 2.9, 177 or a 3.3, 175???????????????? Those are two completely different sets of stats. Meanwhile, you're clearly having some sort of racial identity crisis....

Is this a flame?
Gotta be a flame.
No OP has a 2.9, 177, but in his other thread he somehow got the impression that those numbers make him a guarantee to get into Harvard (which is not what anyone had actually said), so then he was checking MyLSN and saw that there were people with a 3.3/175 and similar numbers who were rejected from Harvard.

Edit: But there are a lot of suspicious things about OP's comments so it's possible.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:10 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:I'm gonna apply this cycle, first time. Yeah I wanted to know why those other guys were denied, so I know what they did wrong.
Not trying to be mean, but for someone who got a 177 LSAT, you sure ask a lot of questions you should already know the answers to.
Well, you know, I was looking at the Stats for HLS. What is seems is that, in most years, a 175+ URM will guarantee you admission. But their was that one guy, in the previous cycle, who had a 175 and got dinged. Now he was the only URM I saw with a 175+ who got dinged.

So I was curious what he did wrong. Now I am not sure why everyone here is talking about flamming, race, etc. I never said I was 100% Dominican anywhere. Now you look at my previous posts, and look at edits. You will find that I never once edited my posts, besides for the one on disability (my first one). Aside from that one post, I never edited a post. So I have no idea what is going on here, why everyone is talking like this, or whatever.

Perhaps, I ought to have been more clear. In that, I was checking lawstats, and every 175+ URM aside from that one guy, got in. So I wanted to know what he did wrong, if any of you had any ideas. But apparently not, so that's that.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:11 pm

theventriloquist wrote:

I'm not 100% Dominican.
If you have one parent who is African American, and another who is Hispanic, then it would not be lying. Your post history, including your now-deleted reference to being a Dominican immigrant, led me to assume this was not the case. Granted, that was an assumption on my part.
Not you check my history, and you'll see that I never once edited my posts (aside from a first post about disability). So I don't know why you are going on about my race or whatever.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Okay, wtf.

Is this a flame?
Gotta be a flame.
No OP has a 2.9, 177, but in his other thread he somehow got the impression that those numbers make him a guarantee to get into Harvard (which is not what anyone had actually said), so then he was checking MyLSN and saw that there were people with a 3.3/175 and similar numbers who were rejected from Harvard.

Edit: But there are a lot of suspicious things about OP's comments so it's possible.
Ahhhh, okay.

Well, OP, if this isn't a flame: you have a sub-3.0 GPA. That's probably why you got rejected from Harvard.

Still not understanding your racial identity crisis though.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:27 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:
Well, you know, I was looking at the Stats for HLS. What is seems is that, in most years, a 175+ URM will guarantee you admission. But their was that one guy, in the previous cycle, who had a 175 and got dinged. Now he was the only URM I saw with a 175+ who got dinged.

So I was curious what he did wrong. Now I am not sure why everyone here is talking about flamming, race, etc. I never said I was 100% Dominican anywhere. Now you look at my previous posts, and look at edits. You will find that I never once edited my posts, besides for the one on disability (my first one). Aside from that one post, I never edited a post. So I have no idea what is going on here, why everyone is talking like this, or whatever.

Perhaps, I ought to have been more clear. In that, I was checking lawstats, and every 175+ URM aside from that one guy, got in. So I wanted to know what he did wrong, if any of you had any ideas. But apparently not, so that's that.
Nobody can really know. Maybe HLS didn't want as many splitters during this cycle. Maybe he was edged out by a similar candidate with a 3.5 GPA. He might have applied too late in the cycle. He might have written a bad personal statement. He might have slept with the Dean's daughter. Who knows? All anybody knows is that the numbers more often than not will repeat themselves. Just focus on those, and more often than not the odds will work out.

Also the numbers on MyLSN are good indicators, but there are a ton of people who never post numbers on that site, or comment in these forums, and there are probably trolls on MyLSN posting fake numbers. Take the info for what it is, useful, but not the end of the story. The rest of the story is one you have to write for yourself.

Drea

New

Post by Drea » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:16 pm

OP, I wouldn't spend time speculating what went wrong in the applications of those with numbers similar to yours. There are so many factors at play, so you'll never really know which specific one it was without seeing someone's entire application. Instead, focus your efforts on figuring out how to get the best recommendations, how to write the best PS, etc.

ThePoetKnowsIt

New

Post by ThePoetKnowsIt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:52 pm

I agree with the above sentiment OP. Just focus on your own applications and not the applications of others. There is no way to know for sure why/how admissions offices make their decisions.

Nacho_Verde

New

Post by Nacho_Verde » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 pm

theventriloquist wrote:I fell it was my stupid parents who put me in this situation. my parents forced me to major in a stupid subject i did not like and was not good in, and then they told me that gpa does not matter for medical school and that i should major in a difficult major because it looks good! and they forced me!
Please write a GPA addendum and include this.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Drea wrote:OP, I wouldn't spend time speculating what went wrong in the applications of those with numbers similar to yours. There are so many factors at play, so you'll never really know which specific one it was without seeing someone's entire application. Instead, focus your efforts on figuring out how to get the best recommendations, how to write the best PS, etc.
Make sure your application is perfect. Don't worry about anyone else.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”