2.9, 177 AA/Hispanic Gay Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AJordan

Silver

Re: 2.9, 177 AA/Hispanic Gay

Post by AJordan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:17 am

Apply to every school in the top 20 imo and NW ED. Your cycle is likely to be stupid unpredictable. You may see something like reject at Cornell/Berkeley and accept to Harvard or some such nonsense. You may also find someone like Duke really wants you and throws a bunch of money your way. It may not be expected but for a AA/Mex URM with a 177 I doubt anybody would be surprised. Don't limit yourself.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:34 am

AJordan wrote: Your cycle is likely to be stupid unpredictable.
This. Limiting OP to BU, NW (ED), etc. Is crazy. There are only a handful of AAs that have OP's LSAT. It's not crazy that Harvard would bite, or Virginia or Michigan throw a huge amount of $$ OP's direction. It's simply too unpredictable.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 am

Agree with all of the above about your cycle being completely unpredictable, but just wanted to point out the variability gets even worse because the LSAT score is above the point where any school would actually care about how much it is above where they want to see it. This is the exact reason why people with a legit 180 gets denied at Cornell or NU but gets accepted at Harvard (I'd say Harvard is actually pretty unlikely, but for this example it's at least helpful to make the point).

Make sure your application is polished so the only wart on it is your GPA, ideally be able to explain via an addendum why your GPA was trash (if you have a good reason only), and then pray to whichever holy divinity you find persuasive that someone finds your application so strong as to warrant accepting you and giving you a huge discount to convince you to attend.

Not a person here can accurately predict what your cycle is going to look like.

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 am

/
Last edited by MrJD2020 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:20 am

MrJD2020 wrote:APPLY TO THE ENTIRE T20.

DO NOT APPLY ED ANYWHERE.

APPLY EARLY IN THE CYCLE.

ENJOY HARVARD -- YOU ARE BLACK/HISPANIC WITH 177, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. EXCEPT AT YALE WHERE YOU WILL NOT GET IN.
WOW HARVARD? Are you serious?

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:23 am

Last edited by MrJD2020 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 am

theventriloquist wrote:

ENJOY HARVARD -- YOU ARE BLACK/HISPANIC WITH 177, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. EXCEPT AT YALE WHERE YOU WILL NOT GET IN.
It's not impossible, but it's a little rash to say you should expect Harvard. Your GPA sucks, and they might not overlook it. Or they might. There's no actual use in reading tea leaves on this. But if you get fee waivers from everywhere, just apply broadly and see. It could happen, and if you're financially disadvantaged, Harvard with max need-based aid could very well be your best option financially.

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 am

Last edited by MrJD2020 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:27 am

MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

He has a 177 and a master's GPA of 3.4 so they know he's smart as a whip. For reporting purposes, they have to use his undergrad GPA, but it can be offset by a bunch of 4.0's. There are no more than 20-30 AA/hispanic males in the entire country with his score each year. Maybe as few as a dozen, or fewer.

Harvard will take him. Period.

There's a reason they don't post their lowest GPA of accepted students.

He just must make sure that everything else is perfect. Perfectly proofread resumes and essays, no typos anywhere. He's done. He's going to Harvard.
I looked at lawschoolnumbers and a lot of people here seem too optimistic. The outcomes are not that good on lawschoolnumbers, but I'll apply to all, thanks everyone!

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:30 am

Last edited by MrJD2020 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:31 am

MrJD2020 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

It's not impossible, but it's a little rash to say you should expect Harvard. Your GPA sucks, and they might not overlook it. Or they might. There's no actual use in reading tea leaves on this. But if you get fee waivers from everywhere, just apply broadly and see. It could happen, and if you're financially disadvantaged, Harvard with max need-based aid could very well be your best option financially.
I would bet $500 that he will get in.
That's fine you're that confident, I just think you're making this calculation a bit too simplistic. You're right that everything about the numbers would make the OP an easy admit for Harvard because they can hide his GPA in the <25% while simultaneously getting a >75% LSAT and URM at the same time. That's perfectly logical when you just look at the numbers, which is usually where the calculus ends around here and in most cases. But being a URM super splitter makes this literally the most unpredictable outcome anyone can approach in offering admissions advice. The sample size is tiny, and there are actual people making these decisions that will look at the rest of the application in making this decision. Traditionally LSAT/GPA/URM is borderline dispositive of a given result, but I don't think this is one of those cases. It's fine that you do. We just disagree in the outcome while probably agreeing in the substantive choice being made.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am

Because of your URM status, I think you have a shot at all the T14. With the LSAT boost that they give to URMs, especially AA males, your LSAT is tantamount to a 4.0. Your undergraduate GPA is not good of course, but your 3.4 performance in your masters in biology should help. Were your undergraduate and masters from the same school? It is a decent school?

I agree with the suggestion to submit something about your ADHD. Did it effect you for your masters too (3.4 is still not great, especially compared to your unbelievable LSAT)?

I think your application will be huge here--making sure your description of your ADHD strikes the right tone, having strong recommendations, coming across as mature and polished in your application.

I agree with several posters that NU ED is the only one you should consider. I think you should apply to all the T15 schools for sure. And apply early in the cycle. Doing NU ED is a pretty fantastic option, especially when you consider that YSH don't give merit scholarships to anyone.

What about financial aid? Do you think you could expect significant grant aid based on finances?

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:33 am

MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

You have a 177 and a master's GPA of 3.4 so they know you're smart as a whip. For reporting purposes, they have to use your undergrad GPA, but it can be offset by a bunch of 4.0 admits. There are no more than 20-30 AA/hispanic males in the entire country with your score each year. Maybe as few as a dozen, or fewer.

Harvard will take you. Period.

You just must make sure that everything else is perfect. Perfectly proofread resumes and essays, no typos anywhere. You're done. You're going to Harvard.
Didn't really want to chime in and be a negative Nelly, but that 3.4 master's GPA is really pretty low and will probably not do OP any favors. Grad programs tend to hand out As like candy. I think over the course of my graduate studies I only got a single grade less than a 4.0 unless the course was pass fail. Given OPs uGPA, they might want to get out in front of this one. Adcomms who see lots of grad transcripts might see that 3.4 and wonder why someone who was smart enough to get a 177 ended up with that Masters GPA. Maybe OP went to like the one school in the country where grad GPA inflation isn't a thing, but idk...

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 am

Last edited by MrJD2020 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:35 am

MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

He has a 177 and a master's GPA of 3.4 so they know he's smart as a whip. For reporting purposes, they have to use his undergrad GPA, but it can be offset by a bunch of 4.0's. There are no more than 20-30 AA/hispanic males in the entire country with his score each year. Maybe as few as a dozen, or fewer.

He just must make sure that everything else is perfect. Perfectly proofread resumes and essays, no typos anywhere. He's done. He's going to Harvard.
I looked at lawschoolnumbers and a lot of people here seem too optimistic. The outcomes are not that good on lawschoolnumbers, but I'll apply to all, thanks everyone!
You better. IGNORE LSN. It is NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF ANYTHING. You really think a 2.9 177 URM is gonna post on LSN? The low-key stormfront folks will just come out of the woodwork to tell you to not apply. They suck.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF LAW SCHOOL APPLICANTS DO NOT POST ON TLS OR LSN, EVER, NOT EVEN ONCE. We all refer to various spreadsheets and posts on TLS and to LSN to make ourselves feel better throughout the process, but for an URM splitter, don't bother. At all. Like seriously do not go back on LSN ever again -- you will only be wasting your time.
Oh okay thanks a lot for all your help. Wow, I won't even bother to apply early decision then. I'll just apply normal cycle, but submit really early. Thank you again!

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 am

MrJD2020 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

I would bet $500 that he will get in. He's AA/hispanic with a 177. End of story, seriously. Seriously seriously. It's not just "not impossible". It's highly probable.

OP - listen to me. Apply to the whole T20. Do not let anyone psych you out because of your GPA (not that the previous poster was doing that), no matter what.
I think he has a decent change of Harvard, but I think that ad coms hold bad GPAs against URMs more than bad LSATs, so Harvard might prefer to take URMs with closer to a 3.5 and much lower LSATs. But I completely agree with the advice to apply to the whole T(whatever). OP could get in anywhere, including SLS and HLS, and will likely get scholarship offers too.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 am

BobBoblaw wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

You have a 177 and a master's GPA of 3.4 so they know you're smart as a whip. For reporting purposes, they have to use your undergrad GPA, but it can be offset by a bunch of 4.0 admits. There are no more than 20-30 AA/hispanic males in the entire country with your score each year. Maybe as few as a dozen, or fewer.

You just must make sure that everything else is perfect. Perfectly proofread resumes and essays, no typos anywhere. You're done. You're going to Harvard.
Didn't really want to chime in and be a negative Nelly, but that 3.4 master's GPA is really pretty low and will probably not do OP any favors. Grad programs tend to hand out As like candy. I think over the course of my graduate studies I only got a single grade less than a 4.0 unless the course was pass fail. Given OPs uGPA, they might want to get out in front of this one. Adcomms who see lots of grad transcripts might see that 3.4 and wonder why someone who was smart enough to get a 177 ended up with that Masters GPA. Maybe OP went to like the one school in the country where grad GPA inflation isn't a thing, but idk...
Well, its a Special Master's program, where we take Medical School courses. Its to get into medical school. So, the courses are medical school courses, and so a B here is considered good, but of course, Law schools would not know it. Only Medical Schools know about these special master's programs. That is the problem .

My parented want me to become a doctor, but I hate biology. My undergrad GPA is so low b/c I majored in molecular biology--my WORST subject. I got almost all A's in other subjects.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 am

BobBoblaw wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

But in this master's program, we take Medical School courses. 3.4 is still not good. But I talked to the program Dean, and she said she would write me a good letter, explaining the grading.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:43 am

theventriloquist wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

Well, its a Special Master's program, where we take Medical School courses. Its to get into medical school. So, the courses are medical school courses, and so a B here is considered good, but of course, Law schools would not know it. Only Medical Schools know about these special master's programs. That is the problem .

My parented want me to become a doctor, but I hate biology. My undergrad GPA is so low b/c I majored in molecular biology--my WORST subject. I got almost all A's in other subjects.
That sounds legit enough, I'd include mention of that in my GPA addendum though because you are right that med school courses are graded very differently from other STEM grad courses. It's important that adcomms know this was the case with your masters, otherwise they may assume you are super smart but just like to coast/exert minimal effort, given the discrepancy between your LSAT and your GPA (both grad and undergrad).

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 am

BobBoblaw wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

That sounds legit enough, I'd include mention of that in my GPA addendum though because you are right that med school courses are graded very differently from other STEM grad courses. It's important that adcomms know this was the case with your masters, otherwise they may assume you are super smart but just like to coast/exert minimal effort, given the discrepancy between your LSAT and your GPA (both grad and undergrad).
Thank you, I'll do that. I'm also going to get a LOR from the dean of the program, who said she'll write a good one, so that should help.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:51 am

theventriloquist wrote:
Thanks a lot! I am wondering, is Boston University really so bad? NU, even w/ 150K, would be 90K in loans. BU would be 60K--only the living expenses.
Frankly, I think you should be hoping for money from significantly higher ranked schools. As others mention, you might get an acceptance from somewhere like Harvard or significant $$$ from another top school. Schools like these open doors in a way BU cannot.

To achieve that, you need to be working on getting strong LORs, writing a unique why X essay for every school in the top 20 (these need to sound genuine and should incorporate aspects of each school's individual identity as a reason for attending), as well as completing your PS and diversity statement. Make sure these are thoroughly proofed and reviewed.

You want all this ready to go at the start of the application season - each day that passes means the schools have handed out dollars and there's less available for you. Preparation now may be worth many tens of thousands of dollars later.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:01 am

If you can afford it (get fee waivers) I would apply to the top 18 or so schools. I'm sure you'll get in to many schools at the T10 level but in addition to your cycle results being unpredictable, your scholarships will be too. Apply to the top 18 to ensure you have some scholarships to work with in the negotiation process and try and hold out as close to seat deposits as you can. I'll bet that 177 will look more attractive as schools start worrying about securing their medians.

Also don't expect Harvard or any certain school. Admissions will be unpredictable. Send out the best app you can though and you will have success. Good luck.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:05 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

You better. IGNORE LSN. It is NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF ANYTHING. You really think a 2.9 177 URM is gonna post on LSN? The low-key stormfront folks will just come out of the woodwork to tell you to not apply. They suck.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF LAW SCHOOL APPLICANTS DO NOT POST ON TLS OR LSN, EVER, NOT EVEN ONCE. We all refer to various spreadsheets and posts on TLS and to LSN to make ourselves feel better throughout the process, but for an URM splitter, don't bother. At all. Like seriously do not go back on LSN ever again -- you will only be wasting your time.
Oh okay thanks a lot for all your help. Wow, I won't even bother to apply early decision then. I'll just apply normal cycle, but submit really early. Thank you again!
The commenters saying to apply to the entire t-20 are correct, but at the same time, your odds of getting scholarship money are not high at most of the t-6, and you'd probably get only partial scholarships at the lower t-14. It's upredictable because you're a super splitter, but it's likely that you'd be accepted at a few t-14's, but not with as much scholarship money. I would still suggest trying ED at Northwestern, unless you would prefer paying sticker at Harvard to 80% scholarship at Northwestern. If you apply Regular decision, your risk is higher since it's possible nobody gives you a great scholarship offer, but it's also possible you get a good sized scholarship offer (non-full ride) to a t-14.

It's a question of what is important to you. If you would be ok with spending 200K-300K on a t-6 school, you actually do have a chance of getting into one of them based on your LSAT and minority status. But if that debt scares you, your best case scenario is probably the ED scholarship at Northwestern, and if you don't get that scholarship, you have sticker price or partial scholarship (most likely) at a t-14 school, or a huge scholarship (very likely) at WUSTL.

Regardless, apply to the entire t-14/t-20, and I'd still suggest going ED at Northwestern just because of the potential scholarship that can give you.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:

The commenters saying to apply to the entire t-20 are correct, but at the same time, your odds of getting scholarship money are not high at most of the t-6, and you'd probably get only partial scholarships at the lower t-14. It's upredictable because you're a super splitter, but it's likely that you'd be accepted at a few t-14's, but not with as much scholarship money. I would still suggest trying ED at Northwestern, unless you would prefer paying sticker at Harvard to 80% scholarship at Northwestern. If you apply Regular decision, your risk is higher since it's possible nobody gives you a great scholarship offer, but it's also possible you get a good sized scholarship offer (non-full ride) to a t-14.

It's a question of what is important to you. If you would be ok with spending 200K-300K on a t-6 school, you actually do have a chance of getting into one of them based on your LSAT and minority status. But if that debt scares you, your best case scenario is probably the ED scholarship at Northwestern, and if you don't get that scholarship, you have sticker price or partial scholarship (most likely) at a t-14 school, or a huge scholarship (very likely) at WUSTL.

Regardless, apply to the entire t-14/t-20, and I'd still suggest going ED at Northwestern just because of the potential scholarship that can give you.
Thanks a lot for that info! Thank you to you and everyone for all the help! I'll think about it. Honestly Harvard at sticker price is well worth it.

I took the LSAT a while ago, so I think it might expire, I'm going to check. Thank you all again!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:34 pm

theventriloquist wrote: Thanks a lot for that info! Thank you to you and everyone for all the help! I'll think about it. Honestly Harvard at sticker price is well worth it.

I took the LSAT a while ago, so I think it might expire, I'm going to check. Thank you all again!
God bless your soul. Thank you for taking the advice! Good Luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”