2.9, 177 AA/Hispanic Gay Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
theventriloquist

Bronze

2.9, 177 AA/Hispanic Gay

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 pm

2.9, 177 AA-Hispanic Mixed; Gay

Master's in biology (3.4)

Do I have good chance early decision at Boston University Law? (they have full ride). Or George Washington early decision (also full ride)? Thank you everyone!

luckyirish13

Bronze

Re: 2.9, 177 AA/Hispanic Gay

Post by luckyirish13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:25 pm

The splitter numbers will hurt you, but the fantastic LSAT coupled with your ability to boost a school's diversity figures makes you an attractive choice. I think with a 177, you would have a good chance of getting in ED to GW or Boston, but what are your career goals? Are you committed to working in the Boston/DC area? Are you looking to get into Biglaw or a federal clerkship? If you are, neither of the schools you mentioned will give you a great chance.

I would actually consider applying ED to Northwestern, since their employment outcomes are very strong, and they are splitter friendly, particularly in Early Decision.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:43 pm

theventriloquist wrote:2.9, 177 AA-Hispanic Mixed; Gay

Do I have good chance early decision at Boston University Law? (they have full ride). Or George Washington early decision (also full ride)? Thank you everyone!
Don't apply to those schools ED. Actually don't apply ED at all.

Your LSAT is excellent. You're hispanic and your GPA isn't even that bad. It's low but not extremely low. Apple to BU, GW, Notre Dame, Northwestern, USC, UCLA, Chicago, Duke, Berkeley, basically a large range of schools.
Don't do ED please!

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:

Your LSAT is excellent. You're hispanic and your GPA isn't even that bad. It's low but not extremely low. Apple to BU, GW, Notre Dame, Northwestern, USC, UCLA, Chicago, Duke, Berkeley, basically a large range of schools.
Don't do ED please!
I'd assume OP is debt-averse. He/she is focused on ED to schools that offer full ride scholarships to accepted ED applicants. It's not a bad idea if you get in, since you only have to pay COA, but if OP is definitely wanting to go that route, they should try ED at Northwestern, since it has better employment outcomes and also offers essentially a full ride to ED applicants.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
ED to NU wouldn't be a bad deal for OP's numbers. It's roughly an 80% scholly, and I don't think he is going to beat that at any of the other T13s or come close.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
ED to NU wouldn't be a bad deal for OP's numbers. It's roughly an 80% scholly, and I don't think he is going to beat that at any of the other T13s or come close.
ED is never good. Most people who ED are stuck with the money they get. Especially as a URM who have cycles that are unpredictable. Never ED.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
I'd assume OP is debt-averse. He/she is focused on ED to schools that offer full ride scholarships to accepted ED applicants. It's not a bad idea if you get in, since you only have to pay COA, but if OP is definitely wanting to go that route, they should try ED at Northwestern, since it has better employment outcomes and also offers essentially a full ride to ED applicants.
Yeah, ED cause full ride. I really don't want debt, I currently don't have any debt. I'm 1/2 black 1/2 Hispanic.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:48 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
I'd have to check their ED stats but most schools don't give that much to ED people.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
ED is never good. Most people who ED are stuck with the money they get. Especially as a URM who have cycles that are unpredictable. Never ED.
But BU early decision is 100% tuition. Can't beat that

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:50 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
Yeah, ED cause full ride. I really don't want debt, I currently don't have any debt. I'm 1/2 black 1/2 Hispanic.
You're half black. That's even better. You need to look at the URM cycle results. You're wasting your time trying to go to BU with that LSAT.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
You're half black. That's even better. You need to look at the URM cycle results. You're wasting your time trying to go to BU with that LSAT.
Thanks a lot for your advice. I was thinking of BU for L1, and then transferring over to a higher school. I feel that I can do much better. I also enjoy law and writing.

I had untreated ADHD in college. My parents simply refused to treat me and I lived at home. So after college I finally got treated. So I feel I can do a lot better.

The thing is, I really don't want debt. NU would be good also, but I don't think I can get early decision with such a GPA. I think that I ought to do BU L1 tuition free, and then transfer over to another school. That would save a lot of money. Thank you and everyone else, it has been really informative.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
I'd have to check their ED stats but most schools don't give that much to ED people.
Northwestern gives a $150,000 scholarship to applicants accepted ED. It's a fantastic program for a much better school than the other two OP mentioned. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ision.html
Boston University has a full ride ED, but there's also the possibility that they approve you ED for the non-full ride option, where you'll only qualify for need based aid. It's a risky bet.https://www.bu.edu/law/admissions/jd-ad ... n-program/
George Washington also has a full ride available for ED applicants, but much like Boston, they have two programs, one of which doesn't give you the full ride.https://www.law.gwu.edu/jd-application-process

The other school that would give a full ride to OP is Washington University St. Louis. They love splitters, and a 177 LSAT will almost certainly get OP a full ride and probably even a stipend.

OP, if you're debt averse like I think you are, I would look closely at Northwestern ED, and if you don't get in there, try WUSTL, which will give you a full ride and has better employment outcomes than the schools you initially mentioned, especially since those two schools don't guarantee you a full ride when you apply ED.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:58 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
But BU early decision is 100% tuition. Can't beat that
This is some supremely bad logic. The better job outcomes at NU are well worth the $30k extra that you would need to pay.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
Thanks a lot for your advice. I was thinking of BU for L1, and then transferring over to a higher school. I feel that I can do much better. I also enjoy law and writing.

I had untreated ADHD in college. My parents simply refused to treat me and I lived at home. So after college I finally got treated. So I feel I can do a lot better.

The thing is, I really don't want debt. NU would be good also, but I don't think I can get early decision with such a GPA. I think that I ought to do BU L1 tuition free, and then transfer over to another school. That would save a lot of money. Thank you and everyone else, it has been really informative.
I'm sorry but everything you said in that post is wrong.

It's really hard to transfer over. You have to be in the top 10% of your class. Second, you won't save money. When you transfer you have to pay full cost of attending. You do not qualify for aid as a transfer. So you would be paying a lot more. Instead of getting a decent scholarship at another school and going all the way through. Plus you can't be on law review or other things when you transfer.

You can easily explain ADHD in your GPA addendum. Which I believe would help you.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:04 pm

theventriloquist wrote:The thing is, I really don't want debt. NU would be good also, but I don't think I can get early decision with such a GPA.
http://mylsn.info/l767ln/

According to those numbers, the 5 users who had an LSAT between 175 and 180 and applied ED to NU (including two users who had a 2.88 GPA and a 3.09 GPA) were almost all accepted, with 1 who was waitlisted. You absolutely can get in with your numbers. Just kill it in the interview process, show them your LSAT, take a near-full ride to a t-13 school, and be set up for a fantastic future.

Also Mr. Chukes is right. Transferring is really hard, unlikely, and expensive. A MUCH better option would be to start out at a top tier school like NU (hint, hint).

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:05 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Don't do ED please!
Northwestern gives a $150,000 scholarship to applicants accepted ED. It's a fantastic program for a much better school than the other two OP mentioned. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ision.html
Boston University has a full ride ED, but there's also the possibility that they approve you ED for the non-full ride option, where you'll only qualify for need based aid. It's a risky bet.https://www.bu.edu/law/admissions/jd-ad ... n-program/
George Washington also has a full ride available for ED applicants, but much like Boston, they have two programs, one of which doesn't give you the full ride.https://www.law.gwu.edu/jd-application-process

The other school that would give a full ride to OP is Washington University St. Louis. They love splitters, and a 177 LSAT will almost certainly get OP a full ride and probably even a stipend.

OP, if you're debt averse like I think you are, I would look closely at Northwestern ED, and if you don't get in there, try WUSTL, which will give you a full ride and has better employment outcomes than the schools you initially mentioned, especially since those two schools don't guarantee you a full ride when you apply ED.
Ok thanks. For Boston U, you can apply to two ED programs, the scholar and the other one. If you apply to the scholar one, and you get in, you are guranteed the full tuition scholarship. If you apply only to the scholar one, you won't be considered for the other one.

WUSTL is also a really good one, I would perfer that one in fact. NU would be best, but I don't know if I'm competitive for that.

I'm thinking of ED at WUSTL, and applying broadly in case that dosen't work. I would love to transfer to HYS for L2, but IDK if that is even possible. Thank you again!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:05 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:The thing is, I really don't want debt. NU would be good also, but I don't think I can get early decision with such a GPA.

According to those numbers, the 5 users who had an LSAT between 175 and 180 and applied ED to NU (including two users who had a 2.88 GPA and a 3.09 GPA) were almost all accepted, with 1 who was waitlisted. You absolutely can get in with your numbers. Just kill it in the interview process, show them your LSAT, take a near-full ride to a t-13 school, and be set up for a fantastic future.

Also Mr. Chukes is right. Transferring is really hard, unlikely, and expensive. A MUCH better option would be to start out at a top tier school like NU (hint, hint).
Yes I agree with this 100%

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:10 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:

Oh wow thanks a lot. NU is my first choice. Since I have a good chance at that, I guess I will apply ED to NU. Its a great school, thanks a lot!

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:17 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:

Why, elsewhere, people have said that NU ED is extremely competitive, and that you need good GPA and LSAT? Are they wrong then?

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:20 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:

But the ones with the low GPA did not get any scholarship from NU! That means, they applied ED, did not get in, and got rolled over to the regular cycle, and then got accepted.

luckyirish13

Bronze

Post by luckyirish13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:

But the ones with the low GPA did not get any scholarship from NU! That means, they applied ED, did not get in, and got rolled over to the regular cycle, and then got accepted.
Well, not quite. You're right looks like they didn't get full scholarship, which either means the NU process was different back then, or that they were referred to the regular decision program and accepted that way. (Edit: Or maybe they actually got full scholarships like the ED process gives, but they just didn't update their accounts to say those numbers.) The data available is really limited, considering there only were 5 posters who applied ED to NU with LSAT scores that high during this decade. So let's broaden the search. Here are the numbers for applicants who applied regular decision with an LSAT between 175-180 and a GPA between 2.0 and 3.0. http://mylsn.info/gzfm7a/ What you notice is that just about all of them were accepted, and several of them got scholarships, even without applying ED. None of them got full rides, but they also weren't applying ED. The point is, NU loves high LSAT scores, so you have the potential to get in with the LSAT score you have, and if you are accepted ED, you get that 150,000 scholarship. Yes it's a competitive process, but you have a leg up on other applicants because you fill the diversity box for the admissions department. Your LSAT should get you in the door, then it's up to you to make the sale.

If you put forward an addendum talking about the ADHD as an explanation for the low GPA, then show in the interview process that you've put that behind you and the LSAT is more representative of who you are, you'll have a strong chance. Also NU loves when people have a year or 2 of work experience out of undergrad, if you have that you'll be in even better shoes.

Basically my point is simply that you have the ability to get into NU on a full ride, which is so much better than getting into GW or BU on a full ride.

And the thing is, you should be applying ED to schools that are reaches, not to easy schools to get into. So NU can be the dream, and if that doesn't work out, you can then apply to WUSTL, (no need to use the ED on them since it doesn't increase your scholarship opportunities.) http://mylsn.info/gzfm7a/. Every poster who had a GPA under 3.0 and an LSAT between 175 and 180 was accepted with significant scholarship into WUSTL. Look in particular at Nagster5 and Incredisplitter, who had LSAT's of 177 and 178, with GPA's of 2.9 and 2.7. They got scholarships of 200K and 155K, neither one applied ED.

Both NU and WUSTL will give you much better potential employment outcomes than BU or GW would do. You have the potential to get a full ride to either of them. If I were you I'd set your sights on those 2 top 20 schools :).

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 pm

luckyirish13 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
luckyirish13 wrote:

Well, not quite. You're right looks like they didn't get full scholarship, which either means the NU process was different back then, or that they were referred to the regular decision program and accepted that way. (Edit: Or maybe they actually got full scholarships like the ED process gives, but they just didn't update their accounts to say those numbers.) The data available is really limited, considering there only were 5 posters who applied ED to NU with LSAT scores that high during this decade. So let's broaden the search. Here are the numbers for applicants who applied regular decision with an LSAT between 175-180 and a GPA between 2.0 and 3.0. http://mylsn.info/gzfm7a/ What you notice is that just about all of them were accepted, and several of them got scholarships, even without applying ED. None of them got full rides, but they also weren't applying ED. The point is, NU loves high LSAT scores, so you have the potential to get in with the LSAT score you have, and if you are accepted ED, you get that 150,000 scholarship. Yes it's a competitive process, but you have a leg up on other applicants because you fill the diversity box for the admissions department. Your LSAT should get you in the door, then it's up to you to make the sale.

If you put forward an addendum talking about the ADHD as an explanation for the low GPA, then show in the interview process that you've put that behind you and the LSAT is more representative of who you are, you'll have a strong chance. Also NU loves when people have a year or 2 of work experience out of undergrad, if you have that you'll be in even better shoes.

Basically my point is simply that you have the ability to get into NU on a full ride, which is so much better than getting into GW or BU on a full ride.

And the thing is, you should be applying ED to schools that are reaches, not to easy schools to get into. So NU can be the dream, and if that doesn't work out, you can then apply to WUSTL, (no need to use the ED on them since it doesn't increase your scholarship opportunities.) http://mylsn.info/gzfm7a/. Every poster who had a GPA under 3.0 and an LSAT between 175 and 180 was accepted with significant scholarship into WUSTL. Look in particular at Nagster5 and Incredisplitter, who had LSAT's of 177 and 178, with GPA's of 2.9 and 2.7. They got scholarships of 200K and 155K, neither one applied ED.

Both NU and WUSTL will give you much better potential employment outcomes than BU or GW would do. You have the potential to get a full ride to either of them. If I were you I'd set your sights on those 2 top 20 schools :).
Oh wow thanks a lot for that analysis! I really changed my mind.

Debt is a major factor for me b/c if I apply this comming cycle, I'll start at age 28. So I'l graduate at 30, so IDK about my chances at biglaw and such.

NU is a great school. If I get 150K of course I'll go, but we'll see. Thank you again!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 pm

theventriloquist wrote:Oh wow thanks a lot for that analysis! I really changed my mind.

Debt is a major factor for me b/c if I apply this comming cycle, I'll start at age 28. So I'l graduate at 30, so IDK about my chances at biglaw and such.

NU is a great school. If I get 150K of course I'll go, but we'll see. Thank you again!
Since you're a URM splitter, it's be wise to blanket the top schools on the first day applications open. Ask for fee waivers as necessary, I'm sure they'll be liberally handed out.

You can start working on Why X essays and a diversity statement over the summer.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:08 am

albanach wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:Oh wow thanks a lot for that analysis! I really changed my mind.

Since you're a URM splitter, it's be wise to blanket the top schools on the first day applications open. Ask for fee waivers as necessary, I'm sure they'll be liberally handed out.

You can start working on Why X essays and a diversity statement over the summer.
Thanks a lot! I am wondering, is Boston University really so bad? NU, even w/ 150K, would be 90K in loans. BU would be 60K--only the living expenses.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:19 am

theventriloquist wrote:
albanach wrote:

Thanks a lot! I am wondering, is Boston University really so bad? NU, even w/ 150K, would be 90K in loans. BU would be 60K--only the living expenses.
It's not that BU is bad. It's that you have the potential for better outcomes with better schools. For example, WUSTL loves to throw money at exceptional LSAT scores. It's quite possible that you will get a full, or close to it, particularly if you apply early and write compelling essays. WUSTL for free is a much better outcome than BU at 60k.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”