AA Female/US Vet seeking advice Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lcolvin

New

AA Female/US Vet seeking advice

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:29 pm

I am an AA Female, USAF Veteran (12 years active duty and currently in the Air Force Reserves), as well as a Federal Agent (Air Force Office of Special Investigations (what NCIS is for the Navy)). I have a 3.96 GPA and looking to take the LSAT in September. Although I have been studying the LSAT off and on for the past year, I now have time to dedicate these upcoming months to entirely studying until the Exam. I was wondering what would be the ideal (realistic) LSAT score that should be my focus and/or goal for admission into T14? I just recently moved to Texas and although not T14, I have my eyes on UT.
Last edited by lcolvin on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: AA Female/US Vet seeking advice

Post by grades?? » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:30 pm

You shouldn't focus on what your goal should be. Your goal should always be a 180. Just focus on getting better.

Alpal29

New

Post by Alpal29 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Congrats on Harvard.

(But really shoot as high as you can but with your GPA and background anything over 165 will get you whatever you want)

lcolvin

New

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks for the advice and actual realistic number. Everyone should want the 180 right?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:38 pm

lcolvin wrote:Thanks for the advice and actual realistic number. Everyone should want the 180 right?
It's so easy to not study hard if it's like oh I only need a X. Sure a 165+ will do you well, but you are already achieving a lot, why not focus on achieving the best possible score? That's how I see it and it helped me get a 175+

lcolvin

New

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:43 pm

grades?? wrote:
lcolvin wrote:Thanks for the advice and actual realistic number. Everyone should want the 180 right?
It's so easy to not study hard if it's like oh I only need a X. Sure a 165+ will do you well, but you are already achieving a lot, why not focus on achieving the best possible score? That's how I see it and it helped me get a 175+
I understand and appreciate the advice. I would like to think I am an anomaly like many do on here (from stalking the page) but there is a reason that we are Under Represented Students. More or less, I was seeking a reference point in which to focus or steer me into the right direction. Sure a 180 would be awesome, but if or when that doesn’t happen, what were the actual numbers that wouldn’t shatter my aspirations for acceptance in T14.

Alpal29

New

Post by Alpal29 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:59 pm

lcolvin wrote:
grades?? wrote:
I understand and appreciate the advice. I would like to think I am an anomaly like many do on here (from stalking the page) but there is a reason that we are Under Represented Students. More or less, I was seeking a reference point in which to focus or steer me into the right direction. Sure a 180 would be awesome, but if or when that doesn’t happen, what were the actual numbers that wouldn’t shatter my aspirations for acceptance in T14.
Anything over 160 and you should blanket the T14. You'll definetly get bites. I would shoot for 165+ just to be more secure.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Alpal29 wrote:
lcolvin wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Anything over 160 and you should blanket the T14. You'll definetly get bites. I would shoot for 165+ just to be more secure.
agreed. with your credentials, GPA, and a halfway decent personal statement, I'm sure you could probably get into some T14s with less than a 160, but I would definitely aim higher for $$$ purposes.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:21 pm

lcolvin wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Even then, aiming for 180 is still the best possible thing you can do for yourself. I didn't know I would get a URM boost, and almost retook my 170, despite improving from a 142 diag, because I thought I needed a 175+

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Did you use your Post 9/11 GI Bill on undergrad, or will you be using it for law school? If you still have it, you'll be looking at a really good school for close to free as long as you can put up a halfway decent score.

lcolvin

New

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:25 pm

TAD wrote:
lcolvin wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Even then, aiming for 180 is still the best possible thing you can do for yourself. I didn't know I would get a URM boost, and almost retook my 170, despite improving from a 142 diag, because I thought I needed a 175+
Good point. I for sure want to aim for a 180. Just wanted safety numbers.

lcolvin

New

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:25 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Did you use your Post 9/11 GI Bill on undergrad, or will you be using it for law school? If you still have it, you'll be looking at a really good school for close to free as long as you can put up a halfway decent score.
No, I didn't use my GI bill as well as I joined in Texas. Therefore I have the hazelwood act, which adds to choosing UT.
Last edited by lcolvin on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lcolvin

New

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:28 pm

TAD wrote:
lcolvin wrote:
grades?? wrote:
170 from a 142 diag...you rock!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:33 pm

lcolvin wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Did you use your Post 9/11 GI Bill on undergrad, or will you be using it for law school? If you still have it, you'll be looking at a really good school for close to free as long as you can put up a halfway decent score.
No, I didn't use my GI bill as well as I joined in Texas. Therefore I have the hazelwood act as well.
You could very well be looking at Harvard/Yale/Stanford for free. Work hard on the LSAT (I recommend self study/practice tests over those Kaplan classes, but YMMV) and you're in a really, really good position. Good luck.

lcolvin

New

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:37 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
lcolvin wrote:
No, I didn't use my GI bill as well as I joined in Texas. Therefore I have the hazelwood act as well.
You could very well be looking at Harvard/Yale/Stanford for free. Work hard on the LSAT (I recommend self study/practice tests over those Kaplan classes, but YMMV) and you're in a really, really good position. Good luck.
Again, thanks for the advice and support. From reading other forums on here, one never knows for sure how the cycles pan out.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:39 pm

OP, you are essentially a dream candidate. URM, military service, stellar GPA. Just be sure to not settle on your LSAT score. Take your time if you need to. Retake if you need to. A 165+ will work, but if you aim and attain that 170, the entire t13 will be fighting over you.

lcolvin

New

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:45 pm

magnum_law wrote:OP, you are essentially a dream candidate. URM, military service, stellar GPA. Just be sure to not settle on your LSAT score. Take your time if you need to. Retake if you need to. A 165+ will work, but if you aim and attain that 170, the entire t13 will be fighting over you.
Thanks. My goal is to take two PT test a week until September. I should get a better feel for where I stand come July/Aug. It is getting close to crunch time and anxiety is settling. Which is why I wanted to throw the question out on the forum to see the worst case scenario. I already know the best case (180).

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:09 pm

Make sure you're taking them under test conditions: hold yourself to time limits. And when you review, don't just go, "Oh, okay, got this one wrong." and move on. Look at what you got wrong and really try to figure out why the right answer was the right answer and not the one you picked.

What do you want to do with a law degree, anyway?

lcolvin

New

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:15 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Make sure you're taking them under test conditions: hold yourself to time limits. And when you review, don't just go, "Oh, okay, got this one wrong." and move on. Look at what you got wrong and really try to figure out why the right answer was the right answer and not the one you picked.

Awesome advice. I've spent the last year or so doing the 7Sage ultimate curriculum and now it is time to knock out the test. I initially wanted to be a lawyer while in undergrad at UNC. I was BROKE! Like copying pages out of others books and eating oatmeal broke. My financial aid was not getting approved, therefore I withdrew and joined the military. After spending so much time in the military and knowing I always wanted to be a lawyer, I decided to get out of active duty and fulfill my dream. Since I have so many years completed in the military, I want to go back in active as JAG and complete another 10-12 years as a lawyer and retire. That leaves time to still practice in the civilian sector as well.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:18 pm

lcolvin wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Make sure you're taking them under test conditions: hold yourself to time limits. And when you review, don't just go, "Oh, okay, got this one wrong." and move on. Look at what you got wrong and really try to figure out why the right answer was the right answer and not the one you picked.

Awesome advice. I've spent the last year or so doing the 7Sage ultimate curriculum and now it is time to knock out the test. I initially wanted to be a lawyer while in undergrad at UNC. I was BROKE! Like copying pages out of others books and eating oatmeal broke. My financial aid was not getting approved, therefore I withdrew and joined the military. After spending so much time in the military and knowing I always wanted to be a lawyer, I decided to get out of active duty and fulfill my dream. Since I have so many years completed in the military, I want to go back in active as JAG and complete another 10-12 years as a lawyer and retire. That leaves time to still practice in the civilian sector as well.
Nice. I'm a vet as well and going back as a JAG. Sounds like you're starting from a really solid foundation. Good luck, kill that LSAT. :)

lcolvin

New

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:21 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
lcolvin wrote:

Nice. I'm a vet as well and going back as a JAG. Sounds like you're starting from a really solid foundation. Good luck, kill that LSAT. :)
Nice. So you get it! Have you already been approved to go back in as JAG?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:25 pm

lcolvin wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
lcolvin wrote:

Yup, although I'm changing services.

lcolvin

New

Post by lcolvin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:30 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
lcolvin wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
lcolvin wrote:

Yup, although I'm changing services.
In your shoes is where I want to be in a few years. I am more than likely going to have to go Army JAG. I will be one year over the age limit for the AF. Unless there is some waiver that I am unaware of for prior service members. Did you do the Graduate Law Program or something similar? Sooo many questions. :D

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:40 pm

I'll shoot you a PM with some thoughts.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”