Should I enroll at Columbia or wait for Harvard Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Should I enroll at Columbia or wait for Harvard

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi guys, so I was waitlisted at Harvard yesterday. I always intended to go to Columbia (iv'e been admitted) if I didn't get into Harvard but now that I'm waitlisted, everything is in limbo. So a quick question:

Can I make my seat deposit at Columbia since its due by May 1st and then rescind my acceptance if Harvard lets me in off the waitlist during the summer?

ILoveYou

Silver

Re: Should I enroll at Columbia or wait for Harvard

Post by ILoveYou » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:21 pm

You can absolutely rescind after the first seat deposit; you'll just be out that money. Congrats, sounds like either way you're ending up with an outcome you wanted.

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:26 pm

ILoveYou wrote:You can absolutely rescind after the first seat deposit; you'll just be out that money. Congrats, sounds like either way you're ending up with an outcome you wanted.
Thanks so much! I didn't know I school's allowed it

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:31 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:You can absolutely rescind after the first seat deposit; you'll just be out that money. Congrats, sounds like either way you're ending up with an outcome you wanted.
Thanks so much! I didn't know I school's allowed it
No problem! Schools don't really have a say--you put down the deposit and then tell them you've changed your mind. It's not like they can make you pay them more or attend. The only exception I'm aware of is that if you are accepted to a school ED you have to sit out a cycle if you don't end up wanting to matriculate there, but that's again not really because of any power the schools themselves have to make you do anything.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”