Getting into a reach school! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Hogwartsexpress

New

Getting into a reach school!

Post by Hogwartsexpress » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Should you feel some type of way when you get into a reach school and you know it's not because of your lsat/gpa but more of your other features? :?

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Re: Getting into a reach school!

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:41 pm

I felt excited about getting into my reach school until I realized how much debt I'd have going at/near sticker. That knocked some sense in to me lol.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 pm

tea03 wrote:Should you feel some type of way when you get into a reach school and you know it's not because of your lsat/gpa but more of your other features? :?
No you should be thrilled! It's a hard world out there and you shouldn't feel bad about any advantage you can use to achieve your goals, especially when all sorts people have built in structural advantages that contribute to their success they probably never think twice about(whether it be ethnicity, class or a little of both). Congratulations!

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:10 pm

tea03 wrote:Should you feel some type of way when you get into a reach school and you know it's not because of your lsat/gpa but more of your other features? :?
The members of the admissions committee are there for their experience and knowledge. They're on the committee because this school, which you seem to respect, trusts their judgement and knowledge. If they picked you, they did so because they believe that the school is better for your presence. Period. There is no other reason they admit you.

Sometimes the school will be better off because the applicant's LSAT score or GPA will bring up the medians. Sometimes it's because Daddy is well connected politically (I'm not going to use any names, but I'm thinking about someone whose initials are Tiffany Trump). Sometimes it's because Daddy (or Mommy) is going to write a big fat check to the school.

Sometimes it's because you've had experiences that, when shared, are going to make your classmates smarter and more effective. You're in this last category. Respect the wisdom of the committee, be proud that they saw something in you that you may not yet understand.

It's not an experience I've had yet, but I'm hoping to. Be happy AF.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 pm

You should be extra happy because they like you for you. You earned it. Don't cry and think you don't belong. Admissions believe in you. You got this!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”