Any frank advice for POC in law school Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
renc56

Bronze

Any frank advice for POC in law school

Post by renc56 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Background: Not yet a law student - but I have worked as a paralegal for a couple of years at a firm that, in its many offices has 150+ lawyers, I was the only POC at work for about a year. It was isolating for many reasons (all offices have cliques) but not nearly as bad as it was for my friends at our main office where the only POC she saw were mostly support staff.

I realize that law school is mostly a white male profession. Knowing all this, what's some good advice that you have received from non-white lawyers about simultaneously fitting in and standing out? Where did you all look for mentors? Did you join ethnic/racial student groups like BLSA? What was your experience with diversity fellowships?

renc56

Bronze

Re: Any frank advice for POC in law school

Post by renc56 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:22 am

Does anyone here plan on joining ethnic/racial/"identity" law student groups like the Chicano/Hispanic Law Students Association, BLSA, or a Jewish/Muslim legal group? If so, why?

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:31 am

Come join us in the underrepresented minority thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=266507

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:43 am

renc56 wrote:Does anyone here plan on joining ethnic/racial/"identity" law student groups like the Chicano/Hispanic Law Students Association, BLSA, or a Jewish/Muslim legal group? If so, why?
I'm most definitely joining BLSA, and maybe the women's org. (I know some schools have it, idk if all of them do)

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:00 pm

renc56 wrote:Background: Not yet a law student - but I have worked as a paralegal for a couple of years at a firm that, in its many offices has 150+ lawyers, I was the only POC at work for about a year. It was isolating for many reasons (all offices have cliques) but not nearly as bad as it was for my friends at our main office where the only POC she saw were mostly support staff.

I realize that law school is mostly a white male profession. Knowing all this, what's some good advice that you have received from non-white lawyers about simultaneously fitting in and standing out? Where did you all look for mentors? Did you join ethnic/racial student groups like BLSA? What was your experience with diversity fellowships?

I don't have much to add except that affinity groups (BLSA, LLSA, et al) are a good idea. Networking occurs on many scales, and a lot of these groups--particularly the major, longstanding ones--maintain a solid network that can either help you or at least answer your questions while in law school.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:16 pm

renc56 wrote:I realize that law school is mostly a white male profession.
I definitely don't disagree with the spirit of this, but there were more female 1Ls last year than males.

Dondraper88

New

Post by Dondraper88 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:16 pm

I'm not looking forward to spending the next three years being one of the few blacks let only alone black male around.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:53 am

Dondraper88 wrote:I'm not looking forward to spending the next three years being one of the few blacks let only alone black male around.
I take some solace in the fact that it seems like black law students and black legal professionals seem to be pretty close-knit/look out for each other.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:54 am

guybourdin wrote:
I definitely don't disagree with the spirit of this, but there were more female 1Ls last year than males.
I wonder if perhaps they were meaning big law is mostly a white, male profession because based on my reading of demographics at big firms, that seems totally - and irritatingly - true lol

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:43 am

brinicolec wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
I wonder if perhaps they were meaning big law is mostly a white, male profession because based on my reading of demographics at big firms, that seems totally - and irritatingly - true lol
Or just law in general is mostly male still I think

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:39 am

guybourdin wrote:
You need to look at the stats, women comprise 50% of all law graduates and are close to 50% of biglaw associate hires but are below (in many cases well below) 20% representation as partners. It will take at least a century to get the partner numbers near parity at the rate women are being promoted to partner.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:44 am

snowball2 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
You need to look at the stats, women comprise 50% of all law graduates and are close to 50% of biglaw associate hires but are below (in many cases well below) 20% representation as partners. It will take at least a century to get the partner numbers near parity at the rate women are being promoted to partner.
this is probably the most depressing thing i've read all week

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:51 am

guybourdin wrote:
NAGL bro

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Stylnator wrote:
snowball2 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
this is probably the most depressing thing i've read all week
My original post was a typo (the law school should have been law/legal profession). ^ completely true - see: http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

I also work at a medium-big-sized firm in which it's extremely rare to find POC who are attorneys (there's some, just not in any of the offices in the state I live in lol). It's not my firm's problem, but I've noticed that it is isolating and hard to get mentors/let alone make friends with co-workers when co-workers say awkwardly racist things e.g. one attorney made a comment about Chinese people having bad hygiene and their hygiene was the reason he had the flu...

The school I'm choosing seems to have great options and I know POC attorneys around the country - so I have hope but it's still very much, an old boys' club.

Edit: more female 1Ls than male 1ls =/= diversity. White women in positions of power do not make it better for other marginalized groups. (Neither do POC always, but that's a whole other discussion)

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:40 pm

snowball2 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Corporate America in general is a white male-dominated field.

It's very frustrating/upsetting - especially since black women are the most highly educated demographic in the country right now.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Dondraper88 wrote:I'm not looking forward to spending the next three years being one of the few blacks let only alone black male around.
You'll get use to it. I've been in so many situations where I am the only black male or person in general. As time goes on people just realize that there isn't anything different about you other than your skin color. Also what I have heard is BLSA is really close-knit.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:49 pm

brinicolec wrote:
snowball2 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

It's very frustrating/upsetting - especially since black women are the most highly educated demographic in the country right now.
Don't forget Nigerians are most educated ethnic group in America lol.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
You'll get use to it. I've been in so many situations where I am the only black male or person in general. As time goes on people just realize that there isn't anything different about you other than your skin color. Also what I have heard is BLSA is really close-knit.
do you have to be black to join BLSA? I'm colored but my ethnicity is probably less common in the law world.

Don't quote

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Stylnator wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Love Mr_Chukes
I don't think you have to be.
Last edited by Mr_Chukes on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Don't quote
thanks chukes :)

YBF-W

New

Post by YBF-W » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
snowball2 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Lmao you had to. I sometimes wonder if Nigerians (and perhaps other west Africans) don't quite get the same boost, since they may actually be overrepresented in the black urm category... At least it seems that way from stalking blsa pages.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:15 pm

YBF-W wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
snowball2 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Lmao you had to. I sometimes wonder if Nigerians (and perhaps other west Africans) don't quite get the same boost, since they may actually be overrepresented in the black urm category... At least it seems that way from stalking blsa pages.
I wrote my diversity statement about being Nigerian lol.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Stylnator wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Don't quote
thanks chukes :)
I met non-black members of BLSA. As long as you're down for the cause(s), that's all that matters.

Hogwartsexpress

New

Post by Hogwartsexpress » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 pm

looked up stats for the school I wanted to go to and only about 25 AA out of 650 students total. Guessing this is common unless I'm going to a hbcu

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:14 pm

icetea wrote:looked up stats for the school I wanted to go to and only about 25 AA out of 650 students total. Guessing this is common unless I'm going to a hbcu
Where did you find that information?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”