Any frank advice for POC in law school Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RCSOB657

Gold

Re: Any frank advice for POC in law school

Post by RCSOB657 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Do NOT self segregate.

Hogwartsexpress

New

Post by Hogwartsexpress » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:49 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
icetea wrote:looked up stats for the school I wanted to go to and only about 25 AA out of 650 students total. Guessing this is common unless I'm going to a hbcu
Where did you find that information?

The school's law page gives a breakdown of race and ethnicity numbers, for all 1L, 2L, and 3L in a chart on their page.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:22 pm

icetea wrote:looked up stats for the school I wanted to go to and only about 25 AA out of 650 students total. Guessing this is common unless I'm going to a hbcu

... Out of ALL the students in ALL three classes? That seems low.

Hogwartsexpress

New

Post by Hogwartsexpress » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:47 pm

brinicolec wrote:

Yeah, they have it on their aba disclosure its actually 31 AA total. Last year 6 AA entered their freshman class, 10 AA men 21 AA women total for all three classes. Total percent of class 5%. That's black or AA so yeah.

Hogwartsexpress

New

Post by Hogwartsexpress » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:48 pm

2012 was 90 AA idk what happen might have to ask around when I go for my visit at the end of the month.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:30 pm

icetea wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Yeah, they have it on their aba disclosure its actually 31 AA total. Last year 6 AA entered their freshman class, 10 AA men 21 AA women total for all three classes. Total percent of class 5%. That's black or AA so yeah.
Idk if ABA disclosure categorizes like the census, but if so, you also have to consider some people might be under "Two or more races." If ABA disclosure is that way, I'd be under two or more races lol

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:16 pm

YBF-W wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
snowball2 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
renc56 wrote:I realize that law school is mostly a white male profession.
I definitely don't disagree with the spirit of this, but there were more female 1Ls last year than males.
You need to look at the stats, women comprise 50% of all law graduates and are close to 50% of biglaw associate hires but are below (in many cases well below) 20% representation as partners. It will take at least a century to get the partner numbers near parity at the rate women are being promoted to partner.
Corporate America in general is a white male-dominated field.

It's very frustrating/upsetting - especially since black women are the most highly educated demographic in the country right now.
Don't forget Nigerians are most educated ethnic group in America lol.
Lmao you had to. I sometimes wonder if Nigerians (and perhaps other west Africans) don't quite get the same boost, since they may actually be overrepresented in the black urm category... At least it seems that way from stalking blsa pages.
\

We dont at certain institutions - in particular one n the T13. But I'm not going to say the name out loud. I do know for a FACT they they dont consider Nigerians the same as AA

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 am

One of my lawyer friends sent me this because I'm guessing one of her former colleagues was represented in the article: https://bol.bna.com/top-black-lawyers-s ... -of-color/

It seems pretty common sense (promote yourself, network) but before TLS I wrongly assumed that affinity groups might be looked down upon.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”