URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ThePoetKnowsIt
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby ThePoetKnowsIt » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:00 am

Type of URM: AA

Attending: Northwestern

GPA: 3.6X

LSAT: 150s

Undergrad: Top Public University

Softs: average k-jd softs tbh, but great letters of rec from professors I got to know really well

Advice: Honestly I just prayed before I submitted every app. If you're religious and/or spiritual I'd recommend just putting it all into God's hands. I did not believe in myself that much because my LSAT score was low and my GPA was subpar. But I spent a significant amount of time crafting my personal statement and building relationships with my professors so that I could package myself in a way that demonstrated that I was more than my LSAT score and GPA. Also, Northwestern's Black Student Initiative really made a difference in allowing me to demonstrate my law school potential because the interview with a current Northwestern student helped me to vocalize my passion and desire to not only go to law school, but to also succeed. I highly recommend spending a significant amount of time trying to determine how you want to package yourself for presentation to admission committees.

Approx. Time of Application: Jan-Feb (some March tbh)

Other acceptances: GWU, UC Davis, Fordham, Howard, (and one too many "safety schools" lol)

Rejections: Harvard

Waitlists: Cornell, UCLA, USC, Emory

Still waiting to hear back from Chicago and Notre Dame
Last edited by ThePoetKnowsIt on Tue May 30, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm

ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:Type of URM: AA

Attending: Northwestern

GPA: 3.6X

LSAT: 154

Undergrad: Top Public University

Softs: average k-jd softs tbh, but great letters of rec from professors I got to know really well

Advice: Honestly I just prayed before I submitted every app. If you're religious and/or spiritual I'd recommend just putting it all into God's hands. I did not believe in myself that much because my LSAT score was low and my GPA was subpar. But I spent a significant amount of time crafting my personal statement and building relationships with my professors so that I could package myself in a way that demonstrated that I was more than my LSAT score and GPA. Also, Northwestern's Black Student Initiative really made a difference in allowing me to demonstrate my law school potential because the interview with a current Northwestern student helped me to vocalize my passion and desire to not only go to law school, but to also succeed. I highly recommend spending a significant amount of time trying to determine how you want to package yourself for presentation to admission committees.

Approx. Time of Application: Jan-Feb (some March tbh)

Other acceptances: GWU, UC Davis, Fordham, Howard, (and one too many "safety schools" lol)

Rejections: Harvard

Waitlists: Cornell, UCLA, USC, Emory

Still waiting to hear back from Chicago and Notre Dame

Congratulations on Northwestern! God bless.

ThePoetKnowsIt
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby ThePoetKnowsIt » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:Type of URM: AA

Attending: Northwestern

GPA: 3.6X

LSAT: 150s

Undergrad: Top Public University

Softs: average k-jd softs tbh, but great letters of rec from professors I got to know really well

Advice: Honestly I just prayed before I submitted every app. If you're religious and/or spiritual I'd recommend just putting it all into God's hands. I did not believe in myself that much because my LSAT score was low and my GPA was subpar. But I spent a significant amount of time crafting my personal statement and building relationships with my professors so that I could package myself in a way that demonstrated that I was more than my LSAT score and GPA. Also, Northwestern's Black Student Initiative really made a difference in allowing me to demonstrate my law school potential because the interview with a current Northwestern student helped me to vocalize my passion and desire to not only go to law school, but to also succeed. I highly recommend spending a significant amount of time trying to determine how you want to package yourself for presentation to admission committees.

Approx. Time of Application: Jan-Feb (some March tbh)

Other acceptances: GWU, UC Davis, Fordham, Howard, (and one too many "safety schools" lol)

Rejections: Harvard

Waitlists: Cornell, UCLA, USC, Emory

Still waiting to hear back from Chicago and Notre Dame

Congratulations on Northwestern! God bless.


Thanks! I'm super excited to start this fall.
Last edited by ThePoetKnowsIt on Tue May 30, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hernandp
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby hernandp » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Type of URM: Latina (MA) 1st generation

Attending: Stanford (124K)

GPA: 3.8

LSAT: 163

Undergrad: Community College (1 semester, 4.0) -> USC (Spring Admit)

Softs: 2 gap years. Legal assistant for a non-profit, JusticeCorps Fellowship in family law, worked every semester during college, union organizer for AFSCME, research assistant, student worker at USC immigration clinic, did community service throughout undergrad.

Advice: Believe in yourself. Take your time with the application, do not rush it! It took me about 3 months to write my personal statement. Write down any ideas that you have for your personal statement and start creating drafts. When I found the right topic for me, it all just came out. Be authentic. Reach out to anyone in your network who can give you an honest and helpful evaluation of your materials.

Approx. Time of Application: Submitted a couple in late November, most mid-December, submitted Yale on the due date.

Other acceptances: UChicago ($15k), Michigan ($0), UC Berkeley ($22k), Georgetown ($0), UCLA ($50K), USC (120K), UCI (Full Tuition)

Rejections: None

Waitlists: Yale, Harvard, Columbia-Held (Withdrew)

dyebri
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby dyebri » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:15 am

hammy393 wrote:Type of URM: Latino (MA)

Attending: Stanford (120K in aid)

GPA: 3.7 (upward trend: 3.9 final 2 years)

LSAT: 164

Undergrad: Yale

Softs: helped run a sports media startup; DOJ paralegal; ACLU internship; Congressional office internship; assistant at entertainment law firm; lots of mentoring/tutoring in undergrad

Advice:

Approx. Time of Application: mid November

Other acceptances: Yale (90K), but same COA as SLS), Columbia, NYU (AnBryce finalist), Berkeley (30K), Michigan (0), Duke (90K), Northwestern, UCLA, USC (75K), Vanderbilt (75K), Wash U (full ride)

Rejections: Penn

Waitlists: UVA, Georgetown



Congrats! Are you originally from the east coast

dinan15
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:13 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby dinan15 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:02 am

Type of URM: Latina (MA)

Attending: Yale

GPA: 3.9x

LSAT: 170

Undergrad: HYP

Softs: K-JD, but worked all throughout college doing things relevant to my area of interest. Also, I made it a point to do research with prominent professors in the field

Advice: I think I spent a lot of time being self-conscious about myself and my application, so my first piece of advice is to just believe in your capabilities and go for it! (I didn't apply to Yale until the last week the appa were open and I would've regretted it otherwise) I think something that really helped me was having very strong connections with my professors (letter of recommendations DO matter), so I would advise future applicants to make sure they know professors or TAs that will do a good job advocate on their behalf. I also believe my PS/DS were compelling, well written and most importantly authentic. I had several professors and friends reread mine and tell me what they thought my point was-- I wanted the essays to have direction and speak for themselves. One final piece of advice is to make the application as cohesive as possible. I felt like my coursework, internships and essays let the admission officers know that a) I really do want to go to law school and b)what my interests and goals are.

Also, the URM forum has been a source of inspiration and support for me throughout this process. It's amazing to see what we're all accomplishing, especially given how rare this was even ten years ago. Future applicants, please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions that you feel I could answer!

Approx. Time of Application: Late November

Other acceptances: Stanford, Harvard, UChicago (ruby), Columbia, Penn, NYU, Michigan ($150) UC Berkeley,Duke, Georgetown, Northwestern, UCLA ($100K)

Rejections: None

Waitlists: None

texcellence
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby texcellence » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:45 am

hernandp wrote:.


holy shit congrats!

lnsl123
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby lnsl123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 am

Type of URM: AA Male

Attending: Columbia ($)

GPA: 3.3

LSAT: 162

Undergrad: University of Chicago

Softs: 5.5 years WE

Advice: First of all, take what you read on TLS with a grain of salt. This forum was vital for me to realize what my actual chances were, but also can cause one to become unnecessarily neurotic. Realize that this forum represents a small sample of law school applicants, and thus requires a dose of skepticism.

I think the most important thing to do, if you're starting this journey, is to be introspective and try to realize why you want to go to law school, and how you think that education will get you to wherever you want to go. I have little patience for people who say "I don't know what I want to do." You should have some idea before committing yourself to a JD, especially if you're going straight through from undergrad.

I think for URMs, the PS is likely the most important component of your application, because it gives you the opportunity to explain who you are beyond numbers. While I still don't know how "great" I would call my PS, I did get some subtle indications from schools that accepted me that parts of my PS resonated with them, whether through notes on the acceptance letter or in my interviews. And I did not write a DS. I felt that my PS explained much of what makes me diverse and that a DS was superfluous.

TL;DR: Be skeptical of advice you receive on TLS—don't blindly follow it if it doesn't align with you. Know why you are committing yourself to a JD. Overall, let your unique self come through on your application.

Approx. Time of Application: January 5th, 2017

Other acceptances: NYU ($), Penn, Michigan, Northwestern, USC ($$)

Rejections: Berkeley

Waitlists: Chicago, UVA, Duke, Cornell, GULC, UCLA, WUSTL
Last edited by lnsl123 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:00 pm

lnsl123 wrote:Type of URM: AA Male

Attending: Columbia

GPA: 3.3

LSAT: 162

Undergrad: University of Chicago

Softs: 5.5 years WE

Advice: First of all, take what you read on TLS with a grain of salt. This forum was vital for me to realize what my actual chances were, but also can cause one to become unnecessarily neurotic. Realize that this forum represents a small sample of law school applicants, and thus requires a dose of skepticism.

I think the most important thing to do, if you're starting this journey, is to be introspective and try to realize why you want to go to law school, and how you think that education will get you to wherever you want to go. I have little patience for people who say "I don't know what I want to do." You should have some idea before committing yourself to a JD, especially if you're going straight through from undergrad.

I think for URMs, the PS is likely the most important component of your application, because it gives you the opportunity to explain who you are beyond numbers. While I still don't know how "great" I would call my PS, I did get some subtle indications from schools that accepted me that parts of my PS resonated with them, whether through notes on the acceptance letter or in my interviews. And I did not write a DS. I felt that my PS explained much of what makes me diverse and that a DS was superfluous.

TL;DR: Be skeptical of advice you receive on TLS—don't blindly follow it if it doesn't align with you. Know why you are committing yourself to a JD. Overall, let your unique self come through on your application.

Approx. Time of Application: January 5th, 2017

Other acceptances: NYU, Penn, Michigan, Northwestern, USC

Rejections: Berkeley

Waitlists: Chicago, UVA, Duke, Cornell, GULC, UCLA, WUSTL



I just want to say publicly that lnsl123 has been the MOST HELPFUL PERSON EVER for me applying this cycle. I'm super happy for you man - I definitely hope to meet you in person. To all the URM ( particularly AA Males with low GPAs) please get as much advice from him as you can whiles hes still active on this site.

Congrats man - i know youll do great!

lnsl123
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby lnsl123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:Type of URM: AA Male

Attending: Columbia

GPA: 3.3

LSAT: 162

Undergrad: University of Chicago

Softs: 5.5 years WE

Advice: First of all, take what you read on TLS with a grain of salt. This forum was vital for me to realize what my actual chances were, but also can cause one to become unnecessarily neurotic. Realize that this forum represents a small sample of law school applicants, and thus requires a dose of skepticism.

I think the most important thing to do, if you're starting this journey, is to be introspective and try to realize why you want to go to law school, and how you think that education will get you to wherever you want to go. I have little patience for people who say "I don't know what I want to do." You should have some idea before committing yourself to a JD, especially if you're going straight through from undergrad.

I think for URMs, the PS is likely the most important component of your application, because it gives you the opportunity to explain who you are beyond numbers. While I still don't know how "great" I would call my PS, I did get some subtle indications from schools that accepted me that parts of my PS resonated with them, whether through notes on the acceptance letter or in my interviews. And I did not write a DS. I felt that my PS explained much of what makes me diverse and that a DS was superfluous.

TL;DR: Be skeptical of advice you receive on TLS—don't blindly follow it if it doesn't align with you. Know why you are committing yourself to a JD. Overall, let your unique self come through on your application.

Approx. Time of Application: January 5th, 2017

Other acceptances: NYU, Penn, Michigan, Northwestern, USC

Rejections: Berkeley

Waitlists: Chicago, UVA, Duke, Cornell, GULC, UCLA, WUSTL



I just want to say publicly that lnsl123 has been the MOST HELPFUL PERSON EVER for me applying this cycle. I'm super happy for you man - I definitely hope to meet you in person. To all the URM ( particularly AA Males with low GPAs) please get as much advice from him as you can whiles hes still active on this site.

Congrats man - i know youll do great!


Thanks, man! Glad to hear I was helpful.

User avatar
Dreadhead168
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:22 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby Dreadhead168 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:27 pm

Type of URM: AA/White

Attending: University of Michigan ($$$$+)*

GPA: 3.2X (upward grade trend throughout all four years)

LSAT: 169

Undergrad: Top 5 LAC

Softs: 2-3 WE, Collegiate athlete

Advice: I'll largely echo the advice given here about preparing your applications as early as possible and creating a narrative throughout your application. The data for URMs is too limited to create reliable guesses as to which schools you may get into, and much of the advice given on TLS is not appropriate for URMs. So do everything in your power to give yourself the best chance of getting into the schools that you really want. Research those schools in depth and find out what each of them like to see in their applications. Some things I wish I had known before submitting my apps:

  • Write your "Why" essays for Berkeley and Penn so that you don't regret not writing them later on when it's taken forever to hear back from them. This is more of a CYA suggestion...I can't attest as to how much Why essays actually help.
  • Send your LOR writers your knowledge and tips on what you'd like them to focus on in their LOR. It's not worth it to trust that they will write the perfect law school recommendation without any guidance. You're the one who is deciding what your narrative is, and having a LOR that can corroborate the narrative that you've built for yourself can really help. Again, do your research on what each of the schools you are applying to really want to see in their candidates and LOR.
  • CA and MI (among a few other states, none of which have schools in the T13) have banned Affirmative Action in state schools (*cough* Berk & Mich *cough*). Really use your diversity statement to drive home how your minority-status helps define you because you won't be getting the boost from your basic demographics alone.

Approx. Time of Application: Late November - Early December

Other acceptances: Chicago (<$), NYU ($$), Penn ($$$), Duke ($$$), NU (withdrew before hearing about $), UT ($$$), UCLA ($$), WashU ($$$$+), USC ($$$)

[Each $ = One quarter of tuition] *Note: I did not attempt to negotiate scholarships with any schools.

Rejections: Harvard

Waitlists: Stanford (*riding out), Columbia, Berkeley
Last edited by Dreadhead168 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
azaleafire
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby azaleafire » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 pm

Dreadhead168 wrote:Type of URM: AA/White

Attending: University of Michigan ($$$$+)*



Congrats! Glad to see you are riding the Michigan train with (seemingly) the rest of TLS!

gizmo1024
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:09 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby gizmo1024 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:12 am

Type of URM: Latina (MA)

Attending: Columbia ($)*

GPA: 3.7X

LSAT: 165

Undergrad: UT Austin

Softs: 2 gap years. Worked at several law firms during college. Leadership experience. Paralegal experience.

Advice: Start your apps early. It will likely take you much longer to write your personal statement than you think. Do NOT settle until you've crafted the perfect narrative, as this matters much much more at the top schools. Have several people read your app materials. If you're highly considering a school, you better write that "Why X" essay. I didn't write those extra essays for nearly all the schools I was waitlisted at. Once you've submitted all your apps, have faith in yourself.

Approx. Time of Application: mid January

Other Acceptances: Cornell ($), UT ($$), Vanderbilt ($$), WashU ($$), Boston ($$), University of Houston ($$$)

Rejections: Penn

Waitlists: Harvard (had JS1 & riding out), Stanford (riding out), Chicago, Duke, Northwestern, GULC

Radio Silence: Berkeley

*$= approx. 1/3 tuition
Last edited by gizmo1024 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
armc808
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby armc808 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Type of URM: Mexican/Chinese/Thai

Attending: University of Chicago ($)

GPA: 3.86

LSAT: 165

Undergrad: Georgetown

Softs: K-JD. No formal work experience, but externed for a state circuit court judge during a summer in undergrad, and volunteered as a poll worker since I was in high school. Was the editor-in-chief of a student publication and president of a student organization, among other club memberships. Also first-gen college student.

Advice: As someone else said previously, apply broadly! I applied to 18 schools mainly because I had gotten fee waivers for most of them (they come out around October and Nov; if you don't get an unsolicited fee waiver, email the school and ask them for one by including your GPA and LSAT score. The worst they can say is no, and the best case scenario is you save a lot of $$!). I applied to UChicago because I had gotten a fee waiver from them, but I never thought I'd get in. Looking back on everything now, I'm glad I didn't let that stop me from throwing my hat in the ring and submitting that app.

The only component of your application that will be baked in will be your GPA--everything else is fair game. Regardless of whether your numbers are high or low or in-between for a given school, use every opportunity to strengthen your application via your PS, additional essays (i.e. diversity statement, Why X), and your selection of recommenders. Just because your GPA or LSAT may be below a school's median, it is not an indication of whether or not you have a shot at getting in. Schools want to admit a diverse group of people from all walks of life; use each component of your application as a way to paint a complete picture of who you are as a person. Don't lie about why you're going to law school or try to stretch anything about you that is not completely true--they can see right through it, and it will hurt you. It's okay not to know what you want to do yet, but show them why they should pick you as a person and why they should be proud to have you represent their institution. This was advice I was given early on and what I really focused on in fleshing out my essays/communicating with my recommenders, and I truly believe that my focus on showing the adcomms who I was as a person made the difference for UChicago (and Y and S waitlists).

Lastly, the difference between a good/great recommendation and an excellent recommendation is your professor's familiarity with you as a student in the classroom. Take every opportunity to speak up in class, show that you're an active participant, and go to office hours early. Use your sophomore and junior years of UG to form those close bonds with your professors so that, when the time comes for you to ask for a [strong] recommendation, they don't hesitate to say YES.

Approx. Time of Application: I applied at the end of November, but if you can get it in before Thanksgiving that'd be even better.

Other acceptances: NYU ($$), Berkeley (<$), Georgetown ($$$), UT ($$), UCLA ($$), WashU ($$$$$), USC ($$$$), BU ($$$), Hawaii (<$)

Rejections: Harvard

Waitlists: Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Penn, Michigan, UVA, Duke


$ = roughly 30k
Last edited by armc808 on Wed May 03, 2017 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Instrumental
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:08 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby Instrumental » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Type of URM: Black/LGBT

Attending: TBD

GPA: 3.02

LSAT: 169 (That was my second take, first was a 162).

Undergrad: University of Arizona

Softs: Been out of school since '08. Worked as an officer in military intel for four years, I am a polyglot, and I do some freelance photography.

Advice: My cycle has been a bit underwhelming. Low GPA and spotty work history probably didn't help, so keep up with those. Other than that, not sure. My PS was more about giving a picture of how I've grown to be the person I am today and how my interests influenced my development. GULC's Dean wrote a note with my acceptance saying he liked it. Not sure if he was just laying on the charm though. I didn't write any diversity statements and nothing in my PS said anything about facing adversity due to my URM status just because I've never felt that it was something that held me back. I hear that a lot of apps have statements with that kind of theme so maybe it is more endearing and especially notable for those who have faced such problems.

Approx. Time of Application: Jan 3rd

Acceptances: GULC, UCLA, University of Washington

Rejections: HYS, Berkeley

Waitlists: Chicago, CLS, NYU, Penn, UofM, UVA, Duke

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby brinicolec » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:20 am

LOOK AT ALL THIS MINORITY EXCELLENCE!!!

User avatar
presidentspivey
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby presidentspivey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:34 am

brinicolec wrote:LOOK AT ALL THIS MINORITY EXCELLENCE!!!

+1. There are some outstanding outcomes in this thread. The advice you've all given to someone like me who is going to apply this fall as a URM has been extremely helpful. Congratulations.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby brinicolec » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:36 am

presidentspivey wrote:
brinicolec wrote:LOOK AT ALL THIS MINORITY EXCELLENCE!!!

+1. There are some outstanding outcomes in this thread. The advice you've all given to someone like me who is going to apply this fall as a URM has been extremely helpful. Congratulations.


Good luck next cycle!

User avatar
hammy393
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby hammy393 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Here's the 2016-2017 URM cycle results excel -- please add your info to help out future URMs!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

User avatar
armc808
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby armc808 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:21 pm

brinicolec wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:
brinicolec wrote:LOOK AT ALL THIS MINORITY EXCELLENCE!!!

+1. There are some outstanding outcomes in this thread. The advice you've all given to someone like me who is going to apply this fall as a URM has been extremely helpful. Congratulations.


Good luck next cycle!

We're cheering you on!!

User avatar
principalagent
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby principalagent » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 pm

As another URM applying this fall this thread and the ones from the past have all been very helpful and inspiring! I've been lurking (read: creeping on all of your cycles) and got really excited as you all made your final decisions or got your top choices!

illini2016
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby illini2016 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Hey there.
Last edited by illini2016 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
presidentspivey
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby presidentspivey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 pm

illini2016 wrote:Type of URM: Latino (PR)

Attending: Harvard

GPA: 3.79

LSAT: 170

Undergrad: Laaaarge public (guess which one)

Softs: Interned on two presidential campaigns and a congressional; PA at V20 law firm; strong research/TA experience and academic LORs; 3.98 after third semester; attended a university poorly represented in the T6.

Advice: Don't be afraid, as I was, to retake the LSAT. I was PTing at ~176-177 before a legit 170, and had I retested to even a 172 or 173, I think Y or S may have come into play. And do go all in for your dream school: Harvard had been my numero uno since day uno, and after I somehow made it to JS1, I made damn sure that my interview was top-frickin'-notch.

Approx. Time of Application: End of October for all but Yale, whose application I submitted, regretfully, on deadline day.

Other acceptances: Chicago, NYU ($$), Berkeley, UVA ($$), Duke ($$$), Michigan ($$$), NU (didn't apply for scholly), Georgetown, ND ($$$$), WUSTL ($$$$)

Rejections: Yale, Stanford, Cornell (don't forget to do your video interview), Texas

Waitlists: Penn (withdrew immediately), Columbia (samesies)

Oh shit! I believe you went to the same UG I am currently attending, friend. I've been really worried about this. You're giving me a lot of hope.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:29 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
illini2016 wrote:Type of URM: Latino (PR)

Attending: Harvard

GPA: 3.79

LSAT: 170

Undergrad: Laaaarge public (guess which one)

Softs: Interned on two presidential campaigns and a congressional; PA at V20 law firm; strong research/TA experience and academic LORs; 3.98 after third semester; attended a university poorly represented in the T6.

Advice: Don't be afraid, as I was, to retake the LSAT. I was PTing at ~176-177 before a legit 170, and had I retested to even a 172 or 173, I think Y or S may have come into play. And do go all in for your dream school: Harvard had been my numero uno since day uno, and after I somehow made it to JS1, I made damn sure that my interview was top-frickin'-notch.

Approx. Time of Application: End of October for all but Yale, whose application I submitted, regretfully, on deadline day.

Other acceptances: Chicago, NYU ($$), Berkeley, UVA ($$), Duke ($$$), Michigan ($$$), NU (didn't apply for scholly), Georgetown, ND ($$$$), WUSTL ($$$$)

Rejections: Yale, Stanford, Cornell (don't forget to do your video interview), Texas

Waitlists: Penn (withdrew immediately), Columbia (samesies)

Oh shit! I believe you went to the same UG I am currently attending, friend. I've been really worried about this. You're giving me a lot of hope.

He definitely didn't attend Arizona State.
In earlier posts he states that he attended a T50 state school, and in his username he hints that he/she likely attended University of Illinois

User avatar
presidentspivey
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 am

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Results

Postby presidentspivey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:
illini2016 wrote:Type of URM: Latino (PR)

Attending: Harvard

GPA: 3.79

LSAT: 170

Undergrad: Laaaarge public (guess which one)

Softs: Interned on two presidential campaigns and a congressional; PA at V20 law firm; strong research/TA experience and academic LORs; 3.98 after third semester; attended a university poorly represented in the T6.

Advice: Don't be afraid, as I was, to retake the LSAT. I was PTing at ~176-177 before a legit 170, and had I retested to even a 172 or 173, I think Y or S may have come into play. And do go all in for your dream school: Harvard had been my numero uno since day uno, and after I somehow made it to JS1, I made damn sure that my interview was top-frickin'-notch.

Approx. Time of Application: End of October for all but Yale, whose application I submitted, regretfully, on deadline day.

Other acceptances: Chicago, NYU ($$), Berkeley, UVA ($$), Duke ($$$), Michigan ($$$), NU (didn't apply for scholly), Georgetown, ND ($$$$), WUSTL ($$$$)

Rejections: Yale, Stanford, Cornell (don't forget to do your video interview), Texas

Waitlists: Penn (withdrew immediately), Columbia (samesies)

Oh shit! I believe you went to the same UG I am currently attending, friend. I've been really worried about this. You're giving me a lot of hope.

He definitely didn't attend Arizona State.
In earlier posts he states that he attended a T50 state school, and in his username he hints that he/she likely attended University of Illinois

Boy, that went right over my head, didn't it?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: randomtlsaccount and 7 guests