Any current AA female law students/recently graduated AA female law students on here? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
brinicolec

Gold

Any current AA female law students/recently graduated AA female law students on here?

Post by brinicolec » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:32 am

If so, I was just wondering how natural hair/protective styles (other than wigs/weaves, so think faux locs, twists, braids, etc) are received in the law school setting when it comes to things like moot court or networking events, etc. (as well as the professional setting for anyone who has had any experience at a firm).

texcellence

Bronze

Re: Any current AA female law students/recently graduated AA female law students on here?

Post by texcellence » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:11 pm

Can't speak to LS but i work at a large firm and there are several black women attorneys with natural hair. I personally think they look great and can't imagine anyone would think otherwise but i'm not an old white dude partner so who knows. tbh i think as long as your work wardrobe is on point (i.e., on the conservative side but well-fitted) no one will really care about your hair.

sfn91

Bronze

Re: Any current AA female law students/recently graduated AA female law students on here?

Post by sfn91 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:20 pm

texcellence wrote:Can't speak to LS but i work at a large firm and there are several black women attorneys with natural hair. I personally think they look great and can't imagine anyone would think otherwise but i'm not an old white dude partner so who knows. tbh i think as long as your work wardrobe is on point (i.e., on the conservative side but well-fitted) no one will really care about your hair.
+1 - same at my international firm

YBF-W

New

Post by YBF-W » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:32 pm

I used to work at a law firm and can say that the majority of few Black women wore natural hair and, while I can't say it doesn't make an implicit difference, no one seemed to care either way. TWAs and two strand twists updos were common. I actually did and currently do wear my hair natural (now work in a consulting firm where day-to-day dress code is business casual/professional if there are client meetings). I will note that no one goes out of their way to compliment my hair unless I get a weave, but I've never felt that people cared about when I wore my natural hair.

It honestly doesn't seem to matter so long as its neat and kempt. I think that's generally the case with hair.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:37 am

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I just always find the natural hair discussion interesting to have because of how many women seem to be going natural these days/how it has been a topic of conversation in other fields (the recent thing with the Army + dreadlocks is the first that comes to mind).

Plus, I cut all my hair off into a pixie for like.. the summer... before growing tired of it so I'm working on growing it back out lol

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”