SEO / Summer Associate Question Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sfn91

Bronze

SEO / Summer Associate Question

Post by sfn91 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:09 pm

So assuming someone gets SEO, then the next year they could potentially summer with that same firm as a 1L. That still leaves another summer - does that mean an additional year of summering or do people typically try something else?

lnsl123

Bronze

Re: SEO / Summer Associate Question

Post by lnsl123 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Yeah kind of. I'm assuming the path would either be: SEO law internship > another firm the next two years, or SEO law internship > same firm > same firm. There wouldn't really be an incentive for a firm to invest one summer in you if you have two summers someplace else. Is that right?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Not quite. Some firms simply don't take 1L SAs. But, some firms do give SEO folks 2L SA positions.

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Ah okay. At the firm I've worked at, they take SEO law interns as summer associates the following year.

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:34 pm

lnsl123 wrote:The SEO interviewer told me that some firms don't take back SEO interns, simply because they want them to try another firm out, which makes sense to me. I can't imagine being at only one firm for that many summers and then starting as an associate. I'd want to try some other things out. Especially 1L summer I think is a good opportunity to do something not firm related.
Okay, that is good to know! Thanks. :) I have my interview coming up.

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:59 pm

sfn91 wrote:Yeah kind of. I'm assuming the path would either be: SEO law internship > another firm the next two years, or SEO law internship > same firm > same firm. There wouldn't really be an incentive for a firm to invest one summer in you if you have two summers someplace else. Is that right?
Former SEO here, most of the firms don't automatically take the person back, some don't have 1L's and some make you interview even if they do have 1Ls. I have friends who were rejected from their SEO firm for a 1L because the firm invites students from many schools to interview and that was that. Also even some people who return to their SEO firm 1L year do so because it might be a path of least resistance and an easy fallback, but ultimately 2L at a different firm, could be prestige, locations etc. Others go into PI altogether, so it really depends. My firm had no 1L's, so I'm going to a different firm this summer and doubt I'll ever return, Amazing experience though!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”