LGBTQ C/O 2020 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
KateMcKitten

Bronze

Re: LGBTQ C/O 2020

Post by KateMcKitten » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:01 pm

elf852 wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
Monday wrote:
elf852 wrote: :)
UVA. It'll actually take active effort on your part to venture out of the UVA bubble, which is rather large if you include all the other graduate and undergraduate students, and UVA has solid LGBTQ numbers as well as a dedicated LGBTQ Center. I'm actually surprised by your concerns re Charlottesville. Sure, it's not SF or NYC but it's also not Monowi, Nebraska.
+1 or Lynchburg, VA
Thanks guys :) I was leaning that way, just needed a little assurance
we gotchu bby

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:03 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Hey kittens, unicorns, otters, dykes, and baby lawyers from all corners of the LGBTQ zoo. You're taking your first step on an exciting journey and I hope you enjoy every day of it.

Make an effort to find a LGBTQ lawyer mentor in your community. They will help a lot in navigating school and jobs and meeting other people who can keep you in mind for opportunities.

I'm always happy to be a resource here or PM or in person in Chicago if you want a sarcastic midlevel biglaw transactional associate's perspective.
I'm totally interested in your perspective. How is biglaw life as an LGBTQ person? Do you ever get to go clubbing, date etc

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:09 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Hey kittens, unicorns, otters, dykes, and baby lawyers from all corners of the LGBTQ zoo. You're taking your first step on an exciting journey and I hope you enjoy every day of it.

Make an effort to find a LGBTQ lawyer mentor in your community. They will help a lot in navigating school and jobs and meeting other people who can keep you in mind for opportunities.

I'm always happy to be a resource here or PM or in person in Chicago if you want a sarcastic midlevel biglaw transactional associate's perspective.
This is great advice, thanks papa bear!

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Re: LGBT C/O 2020

Post by KateMcKitten » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Monday wrote:
nu pole?

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Po$eidon wrote:

I'm totally interested in your perspective. How is biglaw life as an LGBTQ person? Do you ever get to go clubbing, date etc
Certainly office and city dependent (and I'm old and married) but, if clubbing is important to you then you absolutely can do it occasionally. Same with dating. You're not working a 9-5 by any stretch, but you also are an adult and are treated as one. My Fridays nights are reserved for my husband and most Saturday night we get together with friends. For you young'uns, that's probably your club time.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Monday wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
Monday wrote:
nu pole?
Done! We used to have bracket style "hot celebrities" competitions on TLS and I sort of want to morph this thread into one, but y'all are so classy on this thread that I feel bad for thinking it.
Rigo wrote:
Rigo probably remembers what I'm talking about and should OP one.
You're so sweet thinking I'm classy and not in a SnapBack drinking box wine out of a paper cup. And also thinking I wouldn't pick the last answer. Bring back the bracket! Bring it!!!!

Kimmysradscreenname

New

Post by Kimmysradscreenname » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Checking in wayyyy late to the party... wish I'd seen this a few months ago!

Anyone going to UCI with me? (Or praying to get off the Michigan WL?)

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Kimmysradscreenname wrote:Checking in wayyyy late to the party... wish I'd seen this a few months ago!

Hi friend I am not but I wanted to say welcome and we are glad to see our numbers growing as we post about "films".

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:27 am

Anyone have any insight as to what LGBTQ life is like in atlanta?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:45 am

HennessyVSOP wrote:Anyone have any insight as to what LGBTQ life is like in atlanta?
No personal experience but I've always thought of Atlanta as the gay capital of the south.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:52 am

Rigo wrote:
HennessyVSOP wrote:Anyone have any insight as to what LGBTQ life is like in atlanta?
No personal experience but I've always thought of Atlanta as the gay capital of the south.
this also is not an endorsement of Atlanta's scene, but I had a gay friend in college who called it HOTlanta and loved it there, so I have also always thought of it as the gay capital of the south.

Kimmysradscreenname

New

Post by Kimmysradscreenname » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
Kimmysradscreenname wrote:Checking in wayyyy late to the party... wish I'd seen this a few months ago!

Hi friend I am not but I wanted to say welcome and we are glad to see our numbers growing as we post about "films".
Anything with Ellen Page in it.

Kimmysradscreenname

New

Post by Kimmysradscreenname » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:28 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Rigo wrote:
this also is not an endorsement of Atlanta's scene, but I had a gay friend in college who called it HOTlanta and loved it there, so I have also always thought of it as the gay capital of the south.
I was born and raised in Atlanta, and will endorse the "Gay Capital of the South" appellation. Although I haven't lived there since I started college, I've been back many times and have many friends (including some gays and gay family) there. The old gayborhood, Virginia Highlands, I think has more or less spilled out into the funkier parts of downtown (which is itself pretty spread out), but if you're looking for the gay haven, I'd live there. There are plenty of gay bars and clubs. Also, the cultural scene in Atlanta is well worth living there for a few years- many great theaters and music all the time.

I would caution that as recently as the early 2000s gay bars were still getting raided by the police. I don't think it's happened in the last decade, at least, but I would just be aware that while Atlanta is pretty progressive, it is surrounded by dark waters.

Instrumental

Silver

Post by Instrumental » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Might be visiting Atlanta for the first time this July to attend my cousin's wedding. Glad to hear it's a bit better in that regard. I've spent time in Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee. I didn't have bad experiences, but I definitely would not want to live in any of those places.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Kimmysradscreenname wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

MY GIRL!!! Let's have a movie marathon.

Kimmysradscreenname

New

Post by Kimmysradscreenname » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:04 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

YES! Whip it, followed by something from the Julianne Moore oeuvre, and then close it out with But I'm a Cheerleader.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:07 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

YES! Whip it, followed by something from the Julianne Moore oeuvre, and then close it out with But I'm a Cheerleader.
My people have friggin ARRIVED!!! Also why isn't But I'm A Cheerleader in the pole /complain complain/

Kimmysradscreenname

New

Post by Kimmysradscreenname » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:31 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

My people have friggin ARRIVED!!! Also why isn't But I'm A Cheerleader in the pole /complain complain/
I did think that was quite an oversight. I mean, it wasn't exactly featured at Cannes, but it had a smirky cultural critique subtext that films like Imagine Me and You flub pretty lazily. And that Natasha Lyonne, though.

oopsu812

Silver

Post by oopsu812 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 pm

I'm shallow and was a fan of I Can't Think Straight, because the two leads are goooooooorgeous. <3<3

Sorry, not c/o 2020, I'm gone now.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:44 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

I did think that was quite an oversight. I mean, it wasn't exactly featured at Cannes, but it had a smirky cultural critique subtext that films like Imagine Me and You flub pretty lazily. And that Natasha Lyonne, though.
If this turns into a trash lesbian movie thread I will never leave.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:15 am

Monday wrote:
Hot celebrities competition?

areyn22

New

Post by areyn22 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am

I've got decent knowledge of the bar scene/overall LGBTQ social scene in Atlanta so feel free to PM me!

Regarding movies, I just watched But I'm a Cheerleader like a month ago so I feel like a pretty bad gay. :?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 am

UCI has a great LGBT community. If you end up going there, I think you'll have a good time.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”