Sub 3.0 URMs Thread - Where Y'all Ended Up & General Advice Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
greatspirit

Bronze

Sub 3.0 URMs Thread - Where Y'all Ended Up & General Advice

Post by greatspirit » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:35 pm

Didn't see anything else like this on this forum, and it'd be helpful for my Fall 2018 application cycle (and for those similar sub 3.0 URMs).

Graduated from undergrad in 2014 with a 2.92 LSAC GPA & a 2.64 undergrad GPA. Some issues during undergrad that I'm still thinking about, as of now I'll chalk it up to mental health.

The general advice for people in my situation is to kill the LSAT. It goes deeper than that though. Such as, how to address my grades in my application? In my case I started off low, had a slow upward trend, but then cratered in my Senior Spring semester - bringing me to that grade.

Know my above was pretty scatter brained, but just wanted to kick a conversation off.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Re: Sub 3.0 URMs Thread - Where Y'all Ended Up & General Advice

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:38 pm

greatspirit wrote:Didn't see anything else like this on this forum, and it'd be helpful for my Fall 2018 application cycle (and for those similar sub 3.0 URMs).

Graduated from undergrad in 2014 with a 2.92 LSAC GPA & a 2.64 undergrad GPA. Some issues during undergrad that I'm still thinking about, as of now I'll chalk it up to mental health.

The general advice for people in my situation is to kill the LSAT. It goes deeper than that though. Such as, how to address my grades in my application? In my case I started off low, had a slow upward trend, but then cratered in my Senior Spring semester - bringing me to that grade.

Know my above was pretty scatter brained, but just wanted to kick a conversation off.
Hello!

Youre best bet is going to be looking at the Cycle thread, and seeing the spreadsheets.
Off bat the only three schools i know wouldnt take you regardless even if you had a perfect lsat would be Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. Other than that a 175+ should be your goal and would definitely put you in play for T-14.

Dreadhead168

New

Post by Dreadhead168 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
greatspirit wrote:Didn't see anything else like this on this forum, and it'd be helpful for my Fall 2018 application cycle (and for those similar sub 3.0 URMs).

Off bat the only three schools i know wouldnt take you regardless even if you had a perfect lsat would be Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley. Other than that a 175+ should be your goal and would definitely put you in play for T-14.
Do you base that off statistics or info from ad-comms? Is there a general GPA threshold that those three schools tend to stop admitting at regardless of LSAT score?

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Hello!

Youre best bet is going to be looking at the Cycle thread, and seeing the spreadsheets.

Thanks for your contribution! I have checked out that thread & the aforementioned spreadsheet - there was no data on sub 3.0 candidates, which triggered my interest in starting this thread.

Interesting that Harvard is still in play with a sub 3.0? General consensus from TLS seems to be that only Northwestern dips below 3.0...

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:19 pm

Hello!

I'm basing it off my talking with former adcomms that are now consultants and my talks with some admissions related people at law fairs.

I know for a fact for Yale and Stanford dont care about LSAT performance if GPA isn't high to be paired with it. And Berkeley is SUPER stingy with that GPA, law school numbers shows that.

Northwestern isn the only school in play. Virginia is def a possibility. I remeber seeing a non-URM poster get in with a 2.8 but 172 LSAT score there.
Look around the forum for the rest of the T-14. But I personally know of a URM with a sub 3 that is a T6 for what its worth.

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:00 pm

Hello!

I'm basing it off my talking with former adcomms that are now consultants and my talks with some admissions related people at law fairs.

I know for a fact for Yale and Stanford dont care about LSAT performance if GPA isn't high to be paired with it. And Berkeley is SUPER stingy with that GPA, law school numbers shows that.

Northwestern isn the only school in play. Virginia is def a possibility. I remeber seeing a non-URM poster get in with a 2.8 but 172 LSAT score there.
Look around the forum for the rest of the T-14. But I personally know of a URM with a sub 3 that is a T6 for what its worth.
Virginia a possibility? a sub 3.0 URM at a T6? (given your comments on Yale & Stanford, I'll assume that T6 is a CCN, and then after hearing of a friend with a 3.0 & 166 get waitlisted at Columbia, I'll hazard that that T6 is Columbia :D )

There's a well needed boost of hope.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”