2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
renc56

Bronze

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:10 pm

runyc wrote:
69waystodie wrote:
eli_1812 wrote:
69waystodie wrote:I tried calling back last night and again today but no response. Do you guys think it would be too forward to email asking about where/if I am placed? I'm leaving the East Coast on Sunday and would like to scope an apartment or two before I leave but I also don't want to be super annoying to the staff.

Also missed the call yesterday and tried to call back, no response. Called again today, no response. Left a message. Anyone else have any luck after a missed call?
The entire process seems incredibly unorganized, I'm really tempted to email. Any thoughts?
Hi guys - I've been lurking the TLS boards but have never posted. I happen to have recently met the Director in person and know that she/they have been extremely busy trying to get all of the moving pieces in place in time for the summer. Van Ann seems really hard-working; I know that she's given up most of her weekends and evenings the past few months to do interviews and plan for the upcoming program. I don't think she would have done that if she had more time during the week.

Remember that they are (i) a non-profit and leanly-staffed (I got the sense that Van Ann does most of the work on her own), and (ii) she could be on the phone with other candidates when you're calling or, more likely, in other meetings during the day (which is probably why it seems like she's been calling early in the morning or later at night). She also mentioned that she's been meeting with a lot of their partner law firms, instructors, etc., in addition to meeting with students.

Just wanted to put another perspective out there since it seems like she's a really nice person, seems to work a lot and seems to really care about the program.
tbh after my phone call with her, my first thought was: "I really want to meet her because she sounds amazing."

Thanks for putting things into perspective!

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Also in addition to her being a new director and fantastic with keeping alumni involved and provided with opportunities (I did it last year), 3 of the 4 employees aside from the director left after last summer, so she has a lot on her plate

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:57 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:00 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:
Mrocky2 wrote:Also in addition to her being a new director and fantastic with keeping alumni involved and provided with opportunities (I did it last year), 3 of the 4 employees aside from the director left after last summer, so she has a lot on her plate
Would you mind sharing your experiences doing SEO last year? Like... what did you guys actually *do* when with your firms? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I know we'll get "work experience," but what that actually means is unclear. Will we be working 12-hour days alongside associates doing actual work, or...? Do you feel it was a worthwhile experience? Did it out you at a significant advantage for 1L? Any complaints or points you feel could have been improved upon? Did you do/are you doing a 1L summer clerkship? I saw that was listed as a perk for SEO alumni. Sorry for all the questions, but there's just not much information out there.
+1 to all these questions.

Also, what was the dress code?

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:32 pm

runyc wrote:
69waystodie wrote:
eli_1812 wrote:
69waystodie wrote:I tried calling back last night and again today but no response. Do you guys think it would be too forward to email asking about where/if I am placed? I'm leaving the East Coast on Sunday and would like to scope an apartment or two before I leave but I also don't want to be super annoying to the staff.

Also missed the call yesterday and tried to call back, no response. Called again today, no response. Left a message. Anyone else have any luck after a missed call?
The entire process seems incredibly unorganized, I'm really tempted to email. Any thoughts?
Hi guys - I've been lurking the TLS boards but have never posted. I happen to have recently met the Director in person and know that she/they have been extremely busy trying to get all of the moving pieces in place in time for the summer. Van Ann seems really hard-working; I know that she's given up most of her weekends and evenings the past few months to do interviews and plan for the upcoming program. I don't think she would have done that if she had more time during the week.

Remember that they are (i) a non-profit and leanly-staffed (I got the sense that Van Ann does most of the work on her own), and (ii) she could be on the phone with other candidates when you're calling or, more likely, in other meetings during the day (which is probably why it seems like she's been calling early in the morning or later at night). She also mentioned that she's been meeting with a lot of their partner law firms, instructors, etc., in addition to meeting with students.

Just wanted to put another perspective out there since it seems like she's a really nice person, seems to work a lot and seems to really care about the program.
I agree and thanks for writing this out. Ms.Bui is an angel and she's working so hard to both update the program and make this summer a success for all of us. I know it's stressful but she's doing her best

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:10 pm

Just got the call and I'm super excited!!

69waystodie

New

Post by 69waystodie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Just got the call back and way less salty now. See y'all in NYC in a few weeks!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:27 pm

Protip: leave your phone at home all day and you'll come home to a SEO call

accepted to Dallas!*

*help me with housing

us3rnam3

Bronze

Post by us3rnam3 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:38 pm

would it be too desperate to send an email confirming that they received my seat deposit?

us3rnam3

Bronze

Post by us3rnam3 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:38 pm

renc56 wrote:Protip: leave your phone at home all day and you'll come home to a SEO call

accepted to Dallas!*

*help me with housing
Congrats!!!

Mjvance2

New

Post by Mjvance2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Got the call! Accepted to Houston.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Do we arrange travel to and from NYC ourselves?

eli_1812

New

Post by eli_1812 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:12 pm

Finally got the call at 8:04, placed in NY!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:31 pm

If you are placed at a firm outside of New York City, your firm will be responsible for transportation to New York City for the Law Institue and to the firm after the Law Institute. Housing will be provided for the duration of the Law Institute for non-New York City interns only.
Direct quote from e-mail. There was a follow-up message about sending a sheet for short-term housing, maybe so SEO people will know who will be in the same city and can live together?

..otherwise yeah. I guess it doesn't matter when you book your flight if the firm is "responsible."

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 pm

renc56 wrote:
If you are placed at a firm outside of New York City, your firm will be responsible for transportation to New York City for the Law Institue and to the firm after the Law Institute. Housing will be provided for the duration of the Law Institute for non-New York City interns only.
Direct quote from e-mail. There was a follow-up message about sending a sheet for short-term housing, maybe so SEO people will know who will be in the same city and can live together?

..otherwise yeah. I guess it doesn't matter when you book your flight if the firm is "responsible."

Wait I interpreted that as the firm was in charge of our transportation, not we booked and got reimbursed.

I suppose all my questions will be answered with time - I just am really pumped to get started.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:30 pm

azaleafire wrote:
renc56 wrote:

Wait I interpreted that as the firm was in charge of our transportation, not we booked and got reimbursed.

I suppose all my questions will be answered with time - I just am really pumped to get started.
I could be wrong, but it seems like a reimbursement. Even with ASDs those were also reimbursements or a here's $300 after the fact.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:28 am

Harry Ass Truman wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
Mrocky2 wrote:Also in addition to her being a new director and fantastic with keeping alumni involved and provided with opportunities (I did it last year), 3 of the 4 employees aside from the director left after last summer, so she has a lot on her plate
Would you mind sharing your experiences doing SEO last year? Like... what did you guys actually *do* when with your firms? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I know we'll get "work experience," but what that actually means is unclear. Will we be working 12-hour days alongside associates doing actual work, or...? Do you feel it was a worthwhile experience? Did it out you at a significant advantage for 1L? Any complaints or points you feel could have been improved upon? Did you do/are you doing a 1L summer clerkship? I saw that was listed as a perk for SEO alumni. Sorry for all the questions, but there's just not much information out there.

I asked a friend who did it 3 ish years ago. he said he dressed business/business casual. He wore suits without a tie, etc. I hope it's more business casual so I can wear summer dresses w cardigans/nice pants rather than straight suits...

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:32 am

Last edited by lilitiger99 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:44 am

Hi Y'all, I'm an SEO alumn. Congrats to everyone who has been admitted! Highly recommend accepting your offer. Seems like a lot of you have questions, I'd encourage you to read over the last part of the thread below because it'll likely answer some of your questions. I realize the program is going through a revamp, but I'm sure a lot of the info is still applicable.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 23&t=50541

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:06 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:23 am

lilitiger99 wrote:
Harry Ass Truman wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:

I asked a friend who did it 3 ish years ago. he said he dressed business/business casual. He wore suits without a tie, etc. I hope it's more business casual so I can wear summer dresses w cardigans/nice pants rather than straight suits...
I worked at one of the partner firms. It's more business than business casual. You don't have to wear a suit but Summer dresses wouldn't be appropriate.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:58 am

Anyone know if it's 1 SEOer per firm or dept? I think I read somewhere that SEOers partake in a lot of SA activities but everyone clearly knows their SEO. Would be nice not be the only one.

ColombiaConfused

New

Post by ColombiaConfused » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:19 am

Excited to be accepted in NY!!! I got the call yesterday, but had to play some phone tag since I'm abroad at the moment. SO stoked!!! :)

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 am

20171lhopeful wrote:Anyone know if it's 1 SEOer per firm or dept? I think I read somewhere that SEOers partake in a lot of SA activities but everyone clearly knows their SEO. Would be nice not be the only one.
I think the general answer is it depends. If you are in NYC there is a solid chance that you might not be the only person at your firm - can't speak for department. Chicago has two firms and two slots - so you will probably be alone. New York has at least 30 firms, if none added or dropped this year, and unless things have changed far more than thirty people end up in New York. So that would be my guess (based on the math.)

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:29 am

azaleafire wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:Anyone know if it's 1 SEOer per firm or dept? I think I read somewhere that SEOers partake in a lot of SA activities but everyone clearly knows their SEO. Would be nice not be the only one.
I think the general answer is it depends. If you are in NYC there is a solid chance that you might not be the only person at your firm - can't speak for department. Chicago has two firms and two slots - so you will probably be alone. New York has at least 30 firms, if none added or dropped this year, and unless things have changed far more than thirty people end up in New York. So that would be my guess (based on the math.)
If it's a small market, I doubt it. However for whatever firm you're in, there's going to be SAs there who will also feel awkward, uncomfortable, and not know anyone either.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”