2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mrocky2

New

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Post by Mrocky2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:04 am

bunney_j wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
bunney_j wrote:Just got an email reiterating that I need to fix my resume and upload as a word - mine was 2 pages. They also said if you haven't chosen a school, feel free to put a placeholder. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm hoping its a good sign since the resume thing is bc firms want 1 page.
I also got the resume thing, which is confusing because I swear I redid it in their format. I don't think that it means anything in particular, because usually they decide pretty close to April. Maybe they are changing things up this year?
I changed mine to one page but it was a pdf. Was yours uploaded in word? And I think things are different because of the interview process not being a stress interview & in the past people had multiple interviews and in person interviews if they were waitlisted... Maybe they are going to try to speed things up and give us rolling decisions? Like why say the placeholder school part
I wouldn't read too much into the resume thing, they've done that for the past couple of years at least. Also the stress interview is also something from years back, I interviewed with 3 interviewers across two cycles (reapplicant) and never had a stress interview and ultimately was a SEO. And I doubt they'll give rolling admissions because the firms are snobby about schools so you must deposit and the placeholder is mostly just so you have a completed resume that you just update once you deposit. Just my thinking.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:12 am

Mrocky2 wrote:
bunney_j wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
bunney_j wrote:Just got an email reiterating that I need to fix my resume and upload as a word - mine was 2 pages. They also said if you haven't chosen a school, feel free to put a placeholder. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm hoping its a good sign since the resume thing is bc firms want 1 page.
I also got the resume thing, which is confusing because I swear I redid it in their format. I don't think that it means anything in particular, because usually they decide pretty close to April. Maybe they are changing things up this year?
I changed mine to one page but it was a pdf. Was yours uploaded in word? And I think things are different because of the interview process not being a stress interview & in the past people had multiple interviews and in person interviews if they were waitlisted... Maybe they are going to try to speed things up and give us rolling decisions? Like why say the placeholder school part
I wouldn't read too much into the resume thing, they've done that for the past couple of years at least. Also the stress interview is also something from years back, I interviewed with 3 interviewers across two cycles (reapplicant) and never had a stress interview and ultimately was a SEO. And I doubt they'll give rolling admissions because the firms are snobby about schools so you must deposit and the placeholder is mostly just so you have a completed resume that you just update once you deposit. Just my thinking.
1) Also got the resume e-mail but 2) my interview was p stressful like all of the questions (besides why law, why this city in particular, what firms, why SEO, etc) were like "what is the biggest mistake you've ever made," "what's a criticism you've recently received," "why do you eat so much peanut butter all the time like that is a disgusting amount of peanut butter," etc and all of the other people I've heard about have had much different experiences than my interview. Idk if it might have something to do with the fact that I'm more PI oriented and they want to make sure I can cut it in the Harsh World of Corporate Law or what maybe I'm just talking out of my ass ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:32 am

hey guys i signed up for my interview 4 days after the email was sent....i had to confirm my schedule and set up a skype account
do you think they will look unfavorably on the delay?

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:32 pm

uhwrestler wrote:hey guys i signed up for my interview 4 days after the email was sent....i had to confirm my schedule and set up a skype account
do you think they will look unfavorably on the delay?
Don't read too much into it, you're fine. The interview process this year seems a lot more laid back than from years past.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 pm

azaleafire wrote:
If I'm not mistaking, the format of the one in the email is a little different than the one we were originally supposed to use.

I could be wrong though lol

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:31 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
If I'm not mistaking, the format of the one in the email is a little different than the one we were originally supposed to use.

You're not. I noticed it too.
You guys are right - I opened the email on my phone and couldn't see the differences.

In any case, when they say placeholder school do they mean on the law schools page? Or to put one on our resume...?

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bunney_j

Bronze

Post by bunney_j » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:15 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

You guys are right - I opened the email on my phone and couldn't see the differences.

In any case, when they say placeholder school do they mean on the law schools page? Or to put one on our resume...?
On the resume there's now a place for law school. So I just put the best one I've gotten into for now.
Their resume format favors KJDs so much. With the law school plus my grad plus undergrad plus clubs I had to delete a solid page of research/work... I wonder how much that matters

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Last edited by Harry Ass Truman on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:25 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
Harry Ass Truman wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

On the resume there's now a place for law school. So I just put the best one I've gotten into for now.
Would putting the best school you've gotten into hurt your chances due to location? For example, if the best school i've gotten into is from CA, and I want to be in DC, should I put the school from CA?
Tough one. My best one is also my top choice at the moment and happens to be in NY, which is where I want to be placed. So it was much easier. Is your top choice in DC?
Idk if I'd put the best school. I'd probably put the school you're most likely to attend.

hernandp

New

Post by hernandp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Does the program still ask for a letter of recommendation? I was looking at past threads and it looked like some people said to have a reference or letter of recommendation ready. If we do need one, does anyone know if this reference should be from a previous employer or professor? Thanks!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:00 pm

hernandp wrote:Does the program still ask for a letter of recommendation? I was looking at past threads and it looked like some people said to have a reference or letter of recommendation ready. If we do need one, does anyone know if this reference should be from a previous employer or professor? Thanks!
No.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:24 pm

when we submit the resume they recently asked for, do we submit it on the application or email it back?

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:26 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:when we submit the resume they recently asked for, do we submit it on the application or email it back?
+1

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:06 pm

hey guys please help.
is our skype id just our skype name????

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:50 pm

uhwrestler wrote:hey guys please help.
It's the username you use to log into your account

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Harry Ass Truman wrote:
i sign in to skype with my microsoft account username which is just my email....so is my skype id still just my email?

for my friend to find me on skype and add me as a contact he had to search my skype name to find me in the skype directory. he coundnt find me with my email?
will my interviewer be able to find me?

Harry Ass Truman

New

Post by Harry Ass Truman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:44 pm

uhwrestler wrote:
Harry Ass Truman wrote:
i sign in to skype with my microsoft account username which is just my email....so is my skype id still just my email?

for my friend to find me on skype and add me as a contact he had to search my skype name to find me in the skype directory. he coundnt find me with my email?
will my interviewer be able to find me?
Hmm... maybe tell him to try to search you from the online site also? And yeah, mine is my email as well.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:14 pm

do y'all know if PI-oriented kids are at a particular disadvantage for this? I think numerically I'm ok and have been getting into good schools and I don't think my interview went horribly awry (but who knows) (actually wait that's another question what would be some indicators of an Interview That Went Horribly Awry)

any insight would be much appreci8ed

thx fam luv u

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:39 pm

notorious_mig wrote:do y'all know if PI-oriented kids are at a particular disadvantage for this? I think numerically I'm ok and have been getting into good schools and I don't think my interview went horribly awry (but who knows) (actually wait that's another question what would be some indicators of an Interview That Went Horribly Awry)

thx fam luv u
Disadvantaged? Idk about that. I think it depends on whether or not you explain a potential interest in BL without sounding too PI-focused.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:48 pm

brinicolec wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:do y'all know if PI-oriented kids are at a particular disadvantage for this? I think numerically I'm ok and have been getting into good schools and I don't think my interview went horribly awry (but who knows) (actually wait that's another question what would be some indicators of an Interview That Went Horribly Awry)

thx fam luv u
Disadvantaged? Idk about that. I think it depends on whether or not you explain a potential interest in BL without sounding too PI-focused.
Hmm. I explained that I wanted to intimately understand corporations' interests, as they tie in closely with the area of PI that I want to go into (and the best way to understand corporate interests is to work for a corporate law firm). Is that too PI-ish? I'm concerned now that it is

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:02 am

notorious_mig wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

thx fam luv u
Hmm. I explained that I wanted to intimately understand corporations' interests, as they tie in closely with the area of PI that I want to go into (and the best way to understand corporate interests is to work for a corporate law firm). Is that too PI-ish? I'm concerned now that it is
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. It could be a little too PI-ish. Either way, you just have to wait and see!

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:05 am

brinicolec wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

thx fam luv u
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. It could be a little too PI-ish. Either way, you just have to wait and see!
Daaaaaaaamn ok. Fingers crossed. Worst case scenario this is a lesson to future TLSers who apply to SEO next year and read this thread!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”