2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm going to be in class super late this week for finals prep and won't be able to take calls. Would it be strange to email SEO and ask if they could send any correspondence (hopefully in the form of an acceptance lol) through email instead of by phone? How would I make it sound non-presumptuous?

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:57 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:I'm going to be in class super late this week for finals prep and won't be able to take calls. Would it be strange to email SEO and ask if they could send any correspondence (hopefully in the form of an acceptance lol) through email instead of by phone? How would I make it sound non-presumptuous?
This seems strange. Why not just let it go to voicemail if they do indeed call you?

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:I'm going to be in class super late this week for finals prep and won't be able to take calls. Would it be strange to email SEO and ask if they could send any correspondence (hopefully in the form of an acceptance lol) through email instead of by phone? How would I make it sound non-presumptuous?
don't do this--it's weird and presumptuous. I was abroad and very worried about how they would contact me since I can't take calls. they emailed me the next day. So if they can"t reach if you're phone is off due to studying, they will leave a voicemail or just email you.

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:51 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
This seems strange. Why not just let it go to voicemail if they do indeed call you?
I just saw that some people had done this in situations where they wouldn't be able to take calls (I will literally be in class from 8am to 10pm without the ability to use my phone for the next week and a half.)

us3rnam3

Bronze

Post by us3rnam3 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:53 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
I just saw that some people had done this in situations where they wouldn't be able to take calls (I will literally be in class from 8am to 10pm without the ability to use my phone for the next week and a half.)
Is your voicemail broken? I don't think they would turn your acceptance into a rejection because you didn't answer the phone...

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:03 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:Does anyone know how long we have to accept or decline an offer from SEO? I haven't heard back yet, but I think my chances are decent, and I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for the time I'd have to potentially respond to the decision. I think SEO would be an increeeedible opportunity, and I was/am really excited about it, but family stuff has come up, and -- after spending a year abroad -- I feel like I might need to go home instead of taking an internship this summer. I'm really torn, and I'm almost hoping that SEO will make the decision for me at this point because I'm so conflicted.
They gave me a day.i found out Thursday and I had until Friday, April 21. Not sure if everyone else got that same timeline.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:17 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:39 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:Does anyone know how long we have to accept or decline an offer from SEO? I haven't heard back yet, but I think my chances are decent, and I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for the time I'd have to potentially respond to the decision. I think SEO would be an increeeedible opportunity, and I was/am really excited about it, but family stuff has come up, and -- after spending a year abroad -- I feel like I might need to go home instead of taking an internship this summer. I'm really torn, and I'm almost hoping that SEO will make the decision for me at this point because I'm so conflicted.
They gave me a day.i found out Thursday and I had until Friday, April 21. Not sure if everyone else got that same timeline.
One day?! Damn... Do you get asked again later to accept/decline once you've been matched with a firm, or is your first response your final response?
I think that timeline makes sense though, because if you don't want it, they need to be able to pick another person before Friday. Are you trying to get placed in/near your hometown? As a minority going to a top school, I highly doubt you'll have trouble later down the road getting a well paying big law job, but one of my friends did SEO last year and he said it puts you WAY ahead of your class. So, I'd say if the family situation isn't dire, do SEO and then you can always go home for a bit after the program/ during holiday breaks.

Again, I don't know your family situation. If you feel like your presence at home is absolutely necessary and it would give you peace of mind, I'd suggest staying home.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
Idk if we get to accept or decline the firm, since I haven't received that info yet. They said that would come out early May. I doubt it though. From how I've heard SEO described, it's more of a "the firm picks you" and not "you select with firm you'll be at".

One day?! Damn... Do you get asked again later to accept/decline once you've been matched with a firm, or is your first response your final response?

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
Idk if we get to accept or decline the firm, since I haven't received that info yet. They said that would come out early May. I doubt it though. From how I've heard SEO described, it's more of a "the firm picks you" and not "you select with firm you'll be at".

I'm not sure, since I haven't arrived at that point yet. They said firm placement would come in early May.However, I doubt that we will have a say in our firm placement from what I've heard so far. It seems more like a "firm picks you" situation vs a "we pick the firm".

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:39 am

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
Does the fact that you saw that some people had done this mean you think it isn't strange? It seems neurotic at least. But it might be best for you to just do what you have proposed to save yourself from the unneeded stress not doing it is likely to cause.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 am

lnsl123 wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
Does the fact that you saw that some people had done this mean you think it isn't strange? It seems neurotic at least. But it might be best for you to just do what you have proposed to save yourself from the unneeded stress not doing it is likely to cause.
I think coming out of class with a voice mail = the best thing ever
It does seem weird that you'd request they send your acceptance via e-mail because it presumes that you are expecting to get SEO which may come across as being overly confidant/presumptuous/think SEO is non-competitive/whatever the committee thinks.

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:26 am

20171lhopeful wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

They didn't give me a timeline, weirdly. Maybe I sounded too much like I was definitely going to take it? Although now I am worried there was something I didn't fill out to confirm my spot...

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:29 am

azaleafire wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

They didn't give me a timeline, weirdly. Maybe I sounded too much like I was definitely going to take it? Although now I am worried there was something I didn't fill out to confirm my spot...
did you not have to go online to accept or decline the offer? And have to upload several documents? Lol am i the only one who had to do this hahah?

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:35 am

20171lhopeful wrote:

did you not have to go online to accept or decline the offer? And have to upload several documents? Lol am i the only one who had to do this hahah?
No! :shock: :shock: I haven't recieved any correspondance from them other than the call, actually. So nothing with a link, my application hasn't changed, etc.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:54 am

azaleafire wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

No! :shock: :shock: I haven't recieved any correspondance from them other than the call, actually. So nothing with a link, my application hasn't changed, etc.
wow, ok lol. guess that had to be extra sure about me. In other news, we get a free copy of Getting to Maybe!

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:20 am

20171lhopeful wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

wow, ok lol. guess that had to be extra sure about me. In other news, we get a free copy of Getting to Maybe!
Oh yeah no I had to go online and fill out some documents (from a cyber cafe in Mexico because my computer is fried) (I also paid 50 pesos to get a professional headshot) (fun adventures 4 me). Maybe that was just for NYC people?

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:27 am

notorious_mig wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

Oh yeah no I had to go online and fill out some documents (from a cyber cafe in Mexico because my computer is fried) (I also paid 50 pesos to get a professional headshot) (fun adventures 4 me). Maybe that was just for NYC people?
I had to upload documents/send a headshot as well. I had 2 days to do it. I'm also NYC.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:31 am

AJ1010 wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

I had to upload documents/send a headshot as well. I had 2 days to do it. I'm also NYC.
oh ok, pfew lol! I'm NYC

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:32 am

20171lhopeful wrote:
AJ1010 wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

oh ok, pfew lol! I'm NYC
TLS coming in clutch - I emailed asking about final dates and something to confirm in writing and apparently they forgot to send me the paper work -.-' Thanks guys!

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:38 am

It seems like acceptances are rolling in way slower than past years and in such a different order/format.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:16 pm

AJ1010 wrote:It seems like acceptances are rolling in way slower than past years and in such a different order/format.
It's funny, I met someone who did SEO in the summer of 2009 or 2010. Obviously her experience is going to be different from last year's and this year's, but she mentioned that she heard back very late - as in, she had a week to move and start the SEO internship.

I doubt that would happen to our cohort (y'know, if we're accepted), but... it seems like the majority of us will hear back as late as possible (whether it's the 28th or early May)

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:58 pm

renc56 wrote:
AJ1010 wrote:It seems like acceptances are rolling in way slower than past years and in such a different order/format.
It's funny, I met someone who did SEO in the summer of 2009 or 2010. Obviously her experience is going to be different from last year's and this year's, but she mentioned that she heard back very late - as in, she had a week to move and start the SEO internship.

I doubt that would happen to our cohort (y'know, if we're accepted), but... it seems like the majority of us will hear back as late as possible (whether it's the 28th or early May)
I'm trying to find housing in NY, and I would love to have other SEO NY roommate(s). It just seems like a majority of ppl havent heard back yet. I'm trying to decide if i should just go ahead and get a 1 bedroom.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:12 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:

Lmao no I think everyone will have to. I had 2 days to accept/decline.

Firm placement coming in early May for anyone who might be wondering.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”