2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
poptart123

Silver

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Post by poptart123 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:21 pm

For our time in NYC what is the day-to-day attire like? Do I need to bring a suit for anything? Also, I've never been to NYC, how cold is it in May/June?

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:22 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
Harry Ass Truman wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:
Mrocky2 wrote:Also in addition to her being a new director and fantastic with keeping alumni involved and provided with opportunities (I did it last year), 3 of the 4 employees aside from the director left after last summer, so she has a lot on her plate
Would you mind sharing your experiences doing SEO last year? Like... what did you guys actually *do* when with your firms? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I know we'll get "work experience," but what that actually means is unclear. Will we be working 12-hour days alongside associates doing actual work, or...? Do you feel it was a worthwhile experience? Did it out you at a significant advantage for 1L? Any complaints or points you feel could have been improved upon? Did you do/are you doing a 1L summer clerkship? I saw that was listed as a perk for SEO alumni. Sorry for all the questions, but there's just not much information out there.
+1 to all these questions.

Also, what was the dress code?
I asked a friend who did it 3 ish years ago. he said he dressed business/business casual. He wore suits without a tie, etc. I hope it's more business casual so I can wear summer dresses w cardigans/nice pants rather than straight suits...
I worked at one of the partner firms. It's more business than business casual. You don't have to wear a suit but Summer dresses wouldn't be appropriate.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByC-7l ... lfWVU/edit
That's the dress code from past years.

I feel like a nice, like "j-crew" summer dress - i.e. conservative, light colored, with a blazer or cardigan would be fine. It seems like SEO events is where they want you in a suit.

I also worked at a v25 firm & the UN (super conservative), and we basically could wear business casual as long as we looked nice and neat. From the drive and from what past students have said, the very prestigious firms like Watchell etc. demand suits whereas others are more casual..

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:24 pm

poptart123 wrote:For our time in NYC what is the day-to-day attire like? Do I need to bring a suit for anything? Also, I've never been to NYC, how cold is it in May/June?
I can answer your last question. It generally is in the mid to upper 70s in late May. Nice weather

slurp

New

Post by slurp » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:25 pm

There still a lot of people waiting? I put secondary market as my preference and I'm starting to get anxious :/

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Here's the 2016-2017 URM cycle results excel -- please add your info to help out future URMs!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:44 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:
Mrocky2 wrote:Also in addition to her being a new director and fantastic with keeping alumni involved and provided with opportunities (I did it last year), 3 of the 4 employees aside from the director left after last summer, so she has a lot on her plate
Would you mind sharing your experiences doing SEO last year? Like... what did you guys actually *do* when with your firms? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I know we'll get "work experience," but what that actually means is unclear. Will we be working 12-hour days alongside associates doing actual work, or...? Do you feel it was a worthwhile experience? Did it out you at a significant advantage for 1L? Any complaints or points you feel could have been improved upon? Did you do/are you doing a 1L summer clerkship? I saw that was listed as a perk for SEO alumni. Sorry for all the questions, but there's just not much information out there.
The what you do part is very firm specific, a few people did a lot of work, some did almost nothing and most were in the middle where you did pretty simple work that got you familiar with different practice groups. A lot of people did pro bono work. Honestly, you do a lot of eating and going to events (I'm talking 3 hour lunches). No one really pressures you, timelines are very fluid and you definitely will not be working 12 hour days. I worked between 8-9 hours a day including the long lunches I mentioned. I think it was worthwhile as a way to network, ask questions, get a feel for the firm culture, get a feel for what attorneys do on a day to day, and at the very least its another summer to figure out if you like that specific firm or firms in general which is very valuable. The networking with other 0L's is also amazing. I have friends at all of the top schools and when trying to narrow down firms its nice to have someone to ask real questions about their experience. In addition, having a network of future attorneys with a common experience is awesome, we share outlines for visiting professors, we still keep in contact, we sublease from each other when we work over the summer the next year, its a great community. I think it is a significant advantage for 1L offers and very worthwhile. Most SEO's don't go back to their firms, but at my T6 i think 75% of us got firm offers and many including myself got multiple offers and SEO helped with being comfortable interviewing and talking to attorneys. As far as spinning your individual experiences at the firm interview, you can just finesse. Hope that helped!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:48 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
Harry Ass Truman wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:

I asked a friend who did it 3 ish years ago. he said he dressed business/business casual. He wore suits without a tie, etc. I hope it's more business casual so I can wear summer dresses w cardigans/nice pants rather than straight suits...
I worked at one of the partner firms. It's more business than business casual. You don't have to wear a suit but Summer dresses wouldn't be appropriate.

I feel like a nice, like "j-crew" summer dress - i.e. conservative, light colored, with a blazer or cardigan would be fine. It seems like SEO events is where they want you in a suit.

I also worked at a v25 firm & the UN (super conservative), and we basically could wear business casual as long as we looked nice and neat. From the drive and from what past students have said, the very prestigious firms like Watchell etc. demand suits whereas others are more casual..
J Crew is pricey. For women - Ann Taylor, Loft, and GAP have sales going on.

The Google Drive doc is helpful but maybe as a TX thing - no one dresses that conservatively in my (not SEO) office..but I guess it's better to be on the safe side and stop wearing color for a few weeks? Also currently googling what a conservative print is.

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Was i the only woman who was surprised by the pantyhose line? I live in Atlanta, and I have had multiple jobs where attire was business formal. We never had to wear pantyhose.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:55 pm

AJ1010 wrote:Was i the only woman who was surprised by the pantyhose line? I live in Atlanta, and I have had multiple jobs where attire was business formal. We never had to wear pantyhose.
fml I forgot pantyhose existed

69waystodie

New

Post by 69waystodie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:57 pm

lmao not sure I'm too keen on only wearing white dress shirts but I guess it will save time in the morning. I already have a few suits, but I'll probably get one or two sick ones from suit supply and then stock up on white dress shirts at H&M. Trying to only have to dry clean once or twice a month.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:01 pm

renc56 wrote:
AJ1010 wrote:Was i the only woman who was surprised by the pantyhose line? I live in Atlanta, and I have had multiple jobs where attire was business formal. We never had to wear pantyhose.
:shock: i work at a firm that takes SEO interns every year and honestly, it would be weird if someone rolled in wearing pantyhose. also l o l @ "your nails need to be manicured" oh ok is SEO paying for that???? bye

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:06 pm

texcellence wrote:
renc56 wrote:
:shock: i work at a firm that takes SEO interns every year and honestly, it would be weird if someone rolled in wearing pantyhose. also l o l @ "your nails need to be manicured" oh ok is SEO paying for that???? bye
Okay because i would rather wear pants than be forced to wear pantyhose.

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08 pm

The whole women's dress code section seems a little excessive. Not in the tips, but the way its delivered. Also the idea of telling a group of minority aka majority black and hispanic women to get "beige or nude" pantyhose is a little ill thought out lol.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08 pm

texcellence wrote:
renc56 wrote:
People don't wear pantyhose if they're under the age of 60.

also I have never been able to find dress pants that fit (for taller people) so.. if anyone knows where to find pants that aren't ankle pants or essentially leggings, let me know

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Granted that almost all the attorneys I work with wear business casual..none of them would really cut it w/ this maybe still in effect list.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:16 pm

renc56 wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
Harry Ass Truman wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:

J Crew is pricey. For women - Ann Taylor, Loft, and GAP have sales going on.

The Google Drive doc is helpful but maybe as a TX thing - no one dresses that conservatively in my (not SEO) office..but I guess it's better to be on the safe side and stop wearing color for a few weeks? Also currently googling what a conservative print is.
Yess but J crew and J crew "outlet" are 40 percent off currently. I was just looking that's why they're on my mind :)
I think NYC super prestigious v10 firms might be more conservative, but from past year reviews, it seems like only 1 or 2 firms demand suits everyday. I feel like other cities might be more relaxed. Maybe not Chi though?

I also don't wear pantyhose ever. Even with suits..

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 pm

azaleafire wrote:
The whole women's dress code section seems a little excessive. Not in the tips, but the way its delivered. Also the idea of telling a group of minority aka majority black and hispanic women to get "beige or nude" pantyhose is a little ill thought out lol.
The older threads and the SEO main one have a few disgruntled students complaining about that. I guess they brought in a consultant in the earlier years - like 2012 or something - and she mentioned something about straightening hair. I think since then they've changed it...

Motion22Step

New

Post by Motion22Step » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Congrats to all who've gotten into SEO!! Infrequent poster here, but I've learned a lot from the URM section of TLS, peeping y'all's experiences.

I'm wondering if anyone who's heard good news from SEO uploaded a deposit to a T25? Any non-T13 acceptances yet? I'm on several WLs at T13 schools (and b/t T13 - T25 range) and have attractive offers at two T25s. It seems like SEO firms really care about school ranking, from what I've been reading on here. Any feedback is much appreciated.

And again congrats URM fam! Don't forget to take in your successes and the results of your hard work!

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:38 pm

so people who interviewed after me have been accepted....is it safe to say that i have been rejected?

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:43 pm

uhwrestler wrote:so people who interviewed after me have been accepted....is it safe to say that i have been rejected?
No idea. Though someone just said they just got dinged via email (in URM cycle thread)

eli_1812

New

Post by eli_1812 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Is there a Facebook page for accepted interns?

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:55 pm

eli_1812 wrote:Is there a Facebook page for accepted interns?
They had one last summer https://www.facebook.com/groups/267412256939807/

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:01 pm

hammy393 wrote:
eli_1812 wrote:Is there a Facebook page for accepted interns?
They had one last summer https://www.facebook.com/groups/267412256939807/
The admins are students so I'm guessing we'll have to make our own

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:02 pm

hammy393 wrote:
uhwrestler wrote:so people who interviewed after me have been accepted....is it safe to say that i have been rejected?
No idea. Though someone just said they just got dinged via email (in URM cycle thread)
Unsure, but there's a chance people will turn it down or be unable to attend. Also the deposit deadline is tomorrow.

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:16 pm

azaleafire wrote:
This was the first thing I thought too. Like Ummm okay my legs are about to be 10 shades lighter than the rest of my body but I guess....

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”