2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
2000andBeyond

Silver

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Post by 2000andBeyond » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:15 pm

brinicolec wrote:This is a strange question, but does anyone know if we'd have Memorial Day off?
I would assume because it's a federal holiday. I work at a corporate firm and we're closed! I couldn't imagine having to work a holiday as a 0L lol

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:35 pm

brinicolec wrote:This is a strange question, but does anyone know if we'd have Memorial Day off?
I think we would

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:45 am

2000andBeyond wrote:How do you go about mentioning a t-14 acceptance?
During an interview or...?

Is it somewhere you might actually go?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:57 am

2000andBeyond wrote:
I would assume because it's a federal holiday. I work at a corporate firm and we're closed! I couldn't imagine having to work a holiday as a 0L lol
Hm, I sure hope so. I know it'd be during the fellowship time and not quite the time at the firm yet.

Asking because my birthday is that Tuesday and some of my friends from college have decided we're gonna go to Miami lol

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Memorial Day and 4th of July you'll be off

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:17 pm

Mrocky2 wrote:Memorial Day and 4th of July you'll be off

Awesomeee lol

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:24 pm

brinicolec wrote:

Awesomeee lol
Oh snap, I take that back! I forgot they changed it this year so if you'll be in the classes and what not I'm not sure. If it was the firm portion then you would absolutely be off.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Mrocky2 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Awesomeee lol
Oh snap, I take that back! I forgot they changed it this year so if you'll be in the classes and what not I'm not sure. If it was the firm portion then you would absolutely be off.
Not as awesome but I mean... hopefully .... lol

AlexanderJordan

New

Post by AlexanderJordan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Hey guys! Submitted today and checking in. Perhaps you all know better than I do, my goal is to end up at a firm in Los Angeles or San Francisco this summer. I have been accepted to U Chicago, Michigan, and Georgetown as far as the T-14 thus far. However, I was also accepted to USC and UCLA. Is the region of the school more important than the prestige in terms of recruitment by the biglaw firms for SEO? In other words, if I post a seat deposit to Chicago would that shut me out of Cali? Thanks!

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:03 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:Hey guys! Submitted today and checking in. Perhaps you all know better than I do, my goal is to end up at a firm in Los Angeles or San Francisco this summer. I have been accepted to U Chicago, Michigan, and Georgetown as far as the T-14 thus far. However, I was also accepted to USC and UCLA. Is the region of the school more important than the prestige in terms of recruitment by the biglaw firms for SEO? In other words, if I post a seat deposit to Chicago would that shut me out of Cali? Thanks!
I Can't speak for certain, but I posted a deposit at UChicago and got placed in my preference of DC, have a friend at NYU and one at Harvard who did their SEO in Cali, yet another at Stanford who summered in NYC, so my answer is it depends. They take preferences into consideration, but frankly most SEO's are in NY followed by DC, there aren't many spots in general that are in Cali so if everyone who is a SEO deposited at Stanford, Berkley and a Harvard guy from Cali wants Cali they'll most likely get it over a UChicago from Cali. The other thing is that USC/UCLA deposit will most likely shut you out of SEO in general. Out of 85 people only about 20 were at schools below T6 with closer to 8 below T10, so keep that in mind. Only 1 person outside of T14 and it was UCLA. TLDR - Assume NYC, and T6 is better for SEO in general.
Last edited by Mrocky2 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Inversion

New

Post by Inversion » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Last edited by Inversion on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AlexanderJordan

New

Post by AlexanderJordan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Thank you both for the response! So I can pretty much consider Chicago and maybe Michigan for SEO or bust?

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:53 pm

AlexanderJordan wrote:Thank you both for the response! So I can pretty much consider Chicago and maybe Michigan for SEO or bust?
If you're really SEO or bust then just Chicago, but SEO should not be a reason or really a huge consideration when choosing schools, especially given the fact that Michigan and Chicago are so different based on school environment, teaching, semesters, and placement power, scholarships or what have you. (Not assuming you haven't thought this through, but thought I should put that into perspective)

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:03 pm

What did you do as an intern at at the firm? was your experience more of a paralegal or a SA? I paralegaled at a BL firm, so I'm jsut wondering what your day to day looks like.

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:17 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
What did you do as an intern at at the firm? was your experience more of a paralegal or a SA? I paralegaled at a BL firm, so I'm jsut wondering what your day to day looks like.
I would say my personal experience was probably a mix of the two. I know some people who did work more akin to a SA. I was a part of the general system and they sent out different projects that could be worked on. I would say yay or nay and then oftentimes the recruitment manager would filter work that she deemed more appropriate for someone with no research experience or true knowledge of the law. I did probono litigation, doc review, non west law research, different pieces of transactional work that really did not involve much writing or true knowledge of the law. If you were a paralegal it is likely that they will give you different types of work because of it. I didn't know jack squat and they knew it so maybe my experience was different than others. I also know people who twiddled their thumbs for most of the summer, i would say I was somewhere in between twiddling my thumbs and working like a maniac. And of course throw in the 2-3 hour lunches, training sessions, etc and the day goes by.

canigraduatealready?

New

Post by canigraduatealready? » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:31 pm

Does anyone know if they would allow someone on the quarter system to work during their last quarter? I am worried that since my school ends so late and my law schools starts so early, I won't be an attractive candidate for firms. First, will they hire me despite being on the quarter system, as I will have barely 10 weeks post-graduation? Second, would they be willing to allow me to work during my last quarter (as I only have 1 class to take)?

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:42 pm

canigraduatealready? wrote:Does anyone know if they would allow someone on the quarter system to work during their last quarter? I am worried that since my school ends so late and my law schools starts so early, I won't be an attractive candidate for firms. First, will they hire me despite being on the quarter system, as I will have barely 10 weeks post-graduation? Second, would they be willing to allow me to work during my last quarter (as I only have 1 class to take)?
This might be better answered in the forum for the recruiters. But most firms have set programs and in addition SEO has set dates for their portion so if your timeline is too off it might just be too much of a hassle to accommodate you over someone else I'm not sure. But even last summer people had graduation during the First week of SEO which was before the firm portion and they were only allow to leave and be gone the day of and return to the SEO classes the next day, so if you have to go to class everyday well into the program, it just doesn't seem like a great fit. I think this all depends on just how late you finish school and if your class is during the day/night of what have you.

AlexanderJordan

New

Post by AlexanderJordan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Mrocky2 wrote:
AlexanderJordan wrote:Thank you both for the response! So I can pretty much consider Chicago and maybe Michigan for SEO or bust?
If you're really SEO or bust then just Chicago, but SEO should not be a reason or really a huge consideration when choosing schools, especially given the fact that Michigan and Chicago are so different based on school environment, teaching, semesters, and placement power, scholarships or what have you. (Not assuming you haven't thought this through, but thought I should put that into perspective)
Oh absolutely. I just recently found out about SEO and am trying to learn as much as I can about the process. Finding the right fit for me is definitely a priority over SEO. Thanks again for the response!

canigraduatealready?

New

Post by canigraduatealready? » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:17 pm

Mrocky2 wrote:
canigraduatealready? wrote:Does anyone know if they would allow someone on the quarter system to work during their last quarter? I am worried that since my school ends so late and my law schools starts so early, I won't be an attractive candidate for firms. First, will they hire me despite being on the quarter system, as I will have barely 10 weeks post-graduation? Second, would they be willing to allow me to work during my last quarter (as I only have 1 class to take)?
This might be better answered in the forum for the recruiters. But most firms have set programs and in addition SEO has set dates for their portion so if your timeline is too off it might just be too much of a hassle to accommodate you over someone else I'm not sure. But even last summer people had graduation during the First week of SEO which was before the firm portion and they were only allow to leave and be gone the day of and return to the SEO classes the next day, so if you have to go to class everyday well into the program, it just doesn't seem like a great fit. I think this all depends on just how late you finish school and if your class is during the day/night of what have you.
Thanks for the reply! I realized that I should just ask to take my class remotely lol :D

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:27 pm

sfn91 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:got an interview request today. scheduled it for 2 weeks later, so I could do firm research.
Me too!
When did y'all apply?

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:29 pm

lula43 wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:got an interview request today. scheduled it for 2 weeks later, so I could do firm research.
Me too!
When did y'all apply?
feb 1

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:06 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:
lula43 wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
Me too!
When did y'all apply?
feb 1
+1

bunney_j

Bronze

Post by bunney_j » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:50 am

Just got an email reiterating that I need to fix my resume and upload as a word - mine was 2 pages. They also said if you haven't chosen a school, feel free to put a placeholder. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm hoping its a good sign since the resume thing is bc firms want 1 page.

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:52 am

bunney_j wrote:Just got an email reiterating that I need to fix my resume and upload as a word - mine was 2 pages. They also said if you haven't chosen a school, feel free to put a placeholder. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm hoping its a good sign since the resume thing is bc firms want 1 page.
I also got the resume thing, which is confusing because I swear I redid it in their format. I don't think that it means anything in particular, because usually they decide pretty close to April. Maybe they are changing things up this year?

bunney_j

Bronze

Post by bunney_j » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:56 am

azaleafire wrote:
bunney_j wrote:Just got an email reiterating that I need to fix my resume and upload as a word - mine was 2 pages. They also said if you haven't chosen a school, feel free to put a placeholder. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm hoping its a good sign since the resume thing is bc firms want 1 page.
I also got the resume thing, which is confusing because I swear I redid it in their format. I don't think that it means anything in particular, because usually they decide pretty close to April. Maybe they are changing things up this year?
I changed mine to one page but it was a pdf. Was yours uploaded in word? And I think things are different because of the interview process not being a stress interview & in the past people had multiple interviews and in person interviews if they were waitlisted... Maybe they are going to try to speed things up and give us rolling decisions? Like why say the placeholder school part

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”