Please help! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Theproblem708

New

Please help!

Post by Theproblem708 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:00 pm

Hello All,

I recently received the results from my first and last LSAT of this period. Currently, I dont know anyone who has or is going through the process so i'd appreciate any and all advice given. To save time, I have place everything in bullet format

-LSAT 149, UGPA 3.49, Graduate GPA, 4.0, URM (AA)
-I am currently active duty air force stationed overseas (Europe) and due to my professional obligations, I was only able to take this test once (in another country at that)
- 7.5 years active duty, numerous awards won, president and vice president of many volunteer organizations, 2 time Marathon Finisher, 2 time Strongman Competition Winner, and many more professional softs
- Getting medically separated from active duty(honorable)
-Took lSAT while being in the process of relocating all property back to the states, heavily medicated from operations and separating from the military (Addendum Created)
- First Generation High School Grad and so fourth

Although it would really be difficult to sit out this cycle, If I dont get into any of the several schools listed, I think I just might have to..

School list
UChicago
NorthWestern
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Emory
Michigan State
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
University of Connecticut
Mizzou

Any suggestions??

AJordan

Silver

Re: Please help!

Post by AJordan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Assuming you have full post 9/11 you are the rare individual who might not be hurt by Feb LSAT results since you don't need a ton of scholarship money. That said, if you're not PTing the LSAT at ~160 there's probably no point in wasting a retake. Study for June, sit out and get right, and apply when you're in the 160s. Also check out the veterans thread. They give good advice. If you're at Ramstein and want some LSAT help irl shoot me a message.

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:42 am

I would sit out and wait to retake as well. Especially if you have your sights on Chicago or Northwestern.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:35 am

You should plan on a retake after you're able to focus on LSAT prep. You shouldn't be looking at going to schools like Florida Atlantic and UCONN at this point. Other schools on your list will also heavily limit where you can get a job. Good luck.

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:56 am

Theproblem708 wrote:Hello All,

I recently received the results from my first and last LSAT of this period. Currently, I dont know anyone who has or is going through the process so i'd appreciate any and all advice given. To save time, I have place everything in bullet format

-LSAT 149, UGPA 3.49, Graduate GPA, 4.0, URM (AA)
-I am currently active duty air force stationed overseas (Europe) and due to my professional obligations, I was only able to take this test once (in another country at that)
- 7.5 years active duty, numerous awards won, president and vice president of many volunteer organizations, 2 time Marathon Finisher, 2 time Strongman Competition Winner, and many more professional softs
- Getting medically separated from active duty(honorable)
-Took lSAT while being in the process of relocating all property back to the states, heavily medicated from operations and separating from the military (Addendum Created)
- First Generation High School Grad and so fourth

Although it would really be difficult to sit out this cycle, If I dont get into any of the several schools listed, I think I just might have to..

School list
UChicago
NorthWestern
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Emory
Michigan State
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
University of Connecticut
Mizzou

Any suggestions??
I would admit you if I am an admin at law school. Screw those KJDs who have no real life experience but just cranked a stupid test, not to mention sacrifice for this country.
Don't listen to them and follow your heart. Apply see where it goes. I believe there are still some true law schools that look beyond numbers.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:46 am

OP, keep in mind that chicagoburger is not, in fact, an adcomm, and has no reason to believe law schools "look beyond numbers" except to fuel his own 0L law school hopes.

That said, I think your softs will help and you will do somewhat better than your numbers would suggest, but retaking would open up amazing possibilities for you, especially if you're looking for money (though as noted, you may not need it). Your list of schools is all over the place, and includes a lot of very regional schools which won't provide any real national portability, so it depends also on where you want to practice and what kind of job you're looking for.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:01 am

Echoing others: I think retaking would do wonders for you.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:12 am

I think everyone's given you good advice, but I just want to point out that Florida Atlantic doesn't have a law school. The only public law school in South Florida is Florida International.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”