AA Male 3.85 155 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
WannabeLawyer95

New

AA Male 3.85 155

Post by WannabeLawyer95 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:42 am

Been lurking this forum for approximately a year but I finally caved and made an account. I have a quick question for all the posters on this board.

What are my chances of getting a full or close to full scholarship to each of the following schools: Howard, Mercer, & North Carolina Central?

I have my reasons for my shortlist comprised of the aforementioned schools.

latif

New

Re: AA Male 3.85 155

Post by latif » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:29 pm

I would retake to be honest, you have a great GPA. With some work you should be able to score in the 160s and get into a T-14 school.

WannabeLawyer95

New

Post by WannabeLawyer95 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:58 pm

latif wrote:I would retake to be honest, you have a great GPA. With some work you should be able to score in the 160s and get into a T-14 school.
I understand your point. That's definitely an option. My question is more so geared to seeing what kind of scholarship I can get currently. Any info on that?

latif

New

Post by latif » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 pm

i think that depends on many factors, like what was your undergrad in, w.e, extracurriculars,
not purely a numbers game.

DriveLikeNashvillian

New

Post by DriveLikeNashvillian » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:06 pm

WannabeLawyer95 wrote:Been lurking this forum for approximately a year but I finally caved and made an account. I have a quick question for all the posters on this board.

What are my chances of getting a full or close to full scholarship to each of the following schools: Howard, Mercer, & North Carolina Central?

I think your reasons are important to know because, with your GPA, you're really shooting yourself in the foot by not retaking and going to a better school with lots of cash. Even with a 160, you could probably get decent money at a lot of the lower T14 or full tuition at schools lower than that

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:21 am

If I were you I would try and squeeze out an extra 5pts as well. You have a great gpa. Don't sell yourself short at all. You worked hard to get that gpa. I say shoot for the stars.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 am

WannabeLawyer95 wrote:Been lurking this forum for approximately a year but I finally caved and made an account. I have a quick question for all the posters on this board.

Easiest way to find info on this would be to look at LSN and see what other people with your numbers are getting at those schools.

Edit: Also, I echo others' sentiments about wanting to know your reasoning and thinking you should retake because your GPA is really solid.

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:58 pm

155 is actually an above average LSAT score for AA males, and is above or at least within the top ranges for the schools you're applying to. GPA is great, but can be unpredictable depending on your major and type of ugrad you went to. IMO, those scores would almost certainly get you into those schools. Only thing is, they may NOT accept you because they think you wouldn't go because you could get in somewhere better with those scores (yield protect).

If your heart is set on those places, I would write a strong WHY X statement for each one so they know you'd definitely go if accepted; they might throw some money your way but I can in no way give color to whether they'd offer much by way of scholly. I got in to t-10s with the same amount of scholarship as schools ranked in the 50s. And then I got in to some top schools with no aid at all while t-20s gave me a half ride, so it's wildly unpredictable IMO.

But to answer your question, i think you could certainly get in with those scores, assuming your PS and LORs are on point as well. (I even think *ahem* know you could get in to some MUCH higher ranked schools as well). But given your interest in these schools, I see no reason to retake the LSAT. If you were to retake for an additional 5 points or so, I think you'd be a shoo-in to at least 1 top 20, if not a T-14.

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:00 pm

also, I just saw the date you posted. Curious as to whether you decided to apply this cycle, and if so, how did things turn out? Best of luck! :wink:

us3rnam3

Bronze

Post by us3rnam3 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:45 pm

If you applied you're probably deciding by now but im an AA female with pretty much the same numbers as you and last cycle howard gave me a 75% scholarship and then they bumped it up to a full tuition scholarship once I didn't deposit there so i'm sure you can get full there as well.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”