AA female 3.68 GPA, 162 LSAT Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
thrivinNstrivin

New

AA female 3.68 GPA, 162 LSAT

Post by thrivinNstrivin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi y'all! Happy grey day for December takers. I was hoping to get some advice and guidance from you all on how I should spend 2017. I am taking a year off, so I am open to various suggestions.

Central Question: Should I take the LSAT again in June (even though I struggled to get this score)? Can I get into a T14 school with these numbers?

Background: I am currently a senior in undergrad and will be graduating in early March. Because of this, I would rather not focus on the Feb LSAT (if needed) and and instead devote my energy to, hopefully, raising my GPA up to a 3.7. I've worked since my freshman year to put myself through school and will continue to work to save money during the gap year. If I needed to take the test again, I would plan for 6 month study (keeping it light until I graduate in March and then take it up a notch or 10 afterward). I am fairly happy with my score as a first time taker, but would it be worth it to try for a higher score?

Softs: School ambassador, law association club president, internship with local judge, currently working at a law firm, won a departmental award

Any advice would be helpful/I constantly look at mylsn, but I know that for my range of numbers the sample size is not so great.

youngwarrior

New

Re: AA female 3.68 GPA, 162 LSAT

Post by youngwarrior » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:10 pm

thrivinNstrivin wrote:Hi y'all! Happy grey day for December takers. I was hoping to get some advice and guidance from you all on how I should spend 2017. I am taking a year off, so I am open to various suggestions.

Central Question: Should I take the LSAT again in June (even though I struggled to get this score)? Can I get into a T14 school with these numbers?

Background: I am currently a senior in undergrad and will be graduating in early March. Because of this, I would rather not focus on the Feb LSAT (if needed) and and instead devote my energy to, hopefully, raising my GPA up to a 3.7. I've worked since my freshman year to put myself through school and will continue to work to save money during the gap year. If I needed to take the test again, I would plan for 6 month study (keeping it light until I graduate in March and then take it up a notch or 10 afterward). I am fairly happy with my score as a first time taker, but would it be worth it to try for a higher score?

Softs: School ambassador, law association club president, internship with local judge, currently working at a law firm, won a departmental award

Any advice would be helpful/I constantly look at mylsn, but I know that for my range of numbers the sample size is not so great.
First off congrats on your lsat score, that's a solid score and with your currents stats you'll invariably you into many good schools within the T14. However, if I were you, I would retake and try for a 165+, because that'll open up many scholarship opportunities for you and bring HYS into play, further since you're taking another year off, it seems like a perfectly logical thing to do. Write again in June, you're capable of scoring better and you have 5 months to prepare yourself. After you write in June, spend the summer writing your essays, get your LORs submit the best applications you can. For your gap year find a job (if you want a W/E upon matriculating to LS), or travel if you have wanderlust.

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:56 pm

youngwarrior wrote:
thrivinNstrivin wrote:Hi y'all! Happy grey day for December takers. I was hoping to get some advice and guidance from you all on how I should spend 2017. I am taking a year off, so I am open to various suggestions.

First off congrats on your lsat score, that's a solid score and with your currents stats you'll invariably you into many good schools within the T14. However, if I were you, I would retake and try for a 165+, because that'll open up many scholarship opportunities for you and bring HYS into play, further since you're taking another year off, it seems like a perfectly logical thing to do. Write again in June, you're capable of scoring better and you have 5 months to prepare yourself. After you write in June, spend the summer writing your essays, get your LORs submit the best applications you can. For your gap year find a job (if you want a W/E upon matriculating to LS), or travel if you have wanderlust.
+1. I also strongly recommend using the spring semester (especially after you graduate) to study hard for the June LSAT. You more than have the time, and with the right amount of dedication a 165+ score is well within your reach. A score like that, combined with a 3.7 GPA, solid LORs, and an extra year's worth of work experience can be the difference between a school like Georgetown and a school like Columbia or HYS. I know it's not fun going through and studying for the LSAT again, but it will be well worth it a year from now!

thrivinNstrivin

New

Post by thrivinNstrivin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:58 pm

armc808 wrote:
youngwarrior wrote:

+1. I also strongly recommend using the spring semester (especially after you graduate) to study hard for the June LSAT. You more than have the time, and with the right amount of dedication a 165+ score is well within your reach. A score like that, combined with a 3.7 GPA, solid LORs, and an extra year's worth of work experience can be the difference between a school like Georgetown and a school like Columbia or HYS. I know it's not fun going through and studying for the LSAT again, but it will be well worth it a year from now!
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will *happily* be prepping for the next 6 months! Sights on Harvard!!

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:27 pm

thrivinNstrivin wrote:Thanks for the advice. I guess I will *happily* be prepping for the next 6 months! Sights on Harvard!!
Good luck!!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”