AA female, 3.9/3.2 chances? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Everythingimnot

New

AA female, 3.9/3.2 chances?

Post by Everythingimnot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Hey guys, created an account because I have serious questions and would like advice, as my pre law advisor is unhelpful and I have no one else to really go to. I am a junior AA.

I have a community college GPA of 3.9...just transferred to a top institution this semester and received a 3.2 GPA for this fall :( nothing im proud of, but the college is competitive and the transition/rigor was tough. With that said, I am ready to pick up this gpa for next semester. How do these two GPAs hold up for LSAC purposes? I'm positive I could bring up the 3.2, though.

Will take the LSAT in June, not the best test taker so I will spend these 6 months studying and taking practice tests...but i am interested in applying to Duke, UNC and Wake forest for law school....if I am granted a fee waiver, I may apply to all of the t14 schools just for the heck of it in hopes that someone will bite.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks

S.Picquery

Silver

Re: AA female, 3.9/3.2 chances?

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:15 pm

You really need to take the LSAT before you can start figuring out your chances. But, the GPAs are not weighted differently, from what I understand. To figure out what your GPA will look like to the Adcoms, plug in all your classes from both schools into any of the LSDAS GPA calculators online. It won't be a 3.9 and a 3.2 that will be factored in to their admission stats, it'll just be that one GPA, and that is likely the only one you have to worry about. Though, it couldn't hurt to make a note in an addendum about how this one semester after transferring was a rough transition period, and show them that you are capable of better with these next semester's grades.

Best of luck!

Everythingimnot

New

Re: AA female, 3.9/3.2 chances?

Post by Everythingimnot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Thank you! That makes me feel a whole lot better. And I agree it's hard to gauge chances without the LSAT score, but I'm hoping for the best lol

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”