AA Male 2.60 160~ Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
blacmomba

New

AA Male 2.60 160~

Post by blacmomba » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Hey guys, long time lurker, first post. I just have a couple questions. I'm a first gen immigrant from Canada and my parents are first gen immigrants from Ghana. I finally decided in November that I wanted to go to Law School after working at a law firm for about a year or so. I graduated this past spring and my gpa kind of sucked. (2.6 :cry: ) Luckily, my Academic Add and Work experience are (in my opinion) good enough to at least explain for it (Grandma was sick and passed away resulting in a really bad couple semesters, switched majors, played sports on scholarship, held multiple leadership positions, did international work with NGOs, and have work in Immigration/Legal field for almost 2 years). I am taking the LSAT in February and have been studying my butt off to try and get a 160+.

I have two questions; should I just wait for the next cycle and get more experience (I just accepted a spring/summer fellowship with a Government lobbying firm in DC) or try now?

If my Ps/Ds/course work seems great and my letter of recs are awesome do I have a chance at any one of these schools? American, Boston, Denver, FSU (Alma Mater), George Mason, Northeastern, Penn State, Pitt, Seton Hall, UDC? I want to get a joint degree in International Law or Global Conflict resolution. Thanks in advance

brinicolec

Gold

Re: AA Male 2.60 160~

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:48 pm

I think a bigger thing to consider before applying is WHAT you score on the LSAT.

I don't really know the answer to your second question. The 2.6 will hurt you regardless but I'm not familiar enough with those schools to know the numbers that can get in. Have you checked myLSN? It's a small sample size but it may be helpful.

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:21 am

I would say just focus on killing the LSAT. You never know what might happen. But that should be your priority. Unfortunately we can't change our UGPAs but hey you get a second chance to rock the LSAT. Focus on that and see where your stars align for you.

blacmomba

New

Post by blacmomba » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Incrementalist wrote:I would say just focus on killing the LSAT. You never know what might happen. But that should be your priority. Unfortunately we can't change our UGPAs but hey you get a second chance to rock the LSAT. Focus on that and see where your stars align for you.
Thanks I'm feeling a bit confident. Been scoring in the 155-163 range. 2 days can't come soon enough

gbullock19

New

Post by gbullock19 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:13 pm

blacmomba wrote:
Incrementalist wrote:
Thanks I'm feeling a bit confident. Been scoring in the 155-163 range. 2 days can't come soon enough
How did you do?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”