Tell me my chances? (Teach For America) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
T6orFaneto

New

Tell me my chances? (Teach For America)

Post by T6orFaneto » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Hello all,

I am hoping to get some ideas on my chances of admission (and possibly scholarships) and t14 schools if I was to apply to law school in two years.
Also, any advice on things that I can do to make myself an even better candidate (responses to this can be as creative as possible, because I am willing to try anything).
My stats:

3.35 (3.85 last two years)
History major, large private university
Teach For America corps member
165-170 LSAT (my PT range)
URM

Thanks for any help.

curry1

Silver

Re: Tell me my chances? (Teach For America)

Post by curry1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:06 pm

T6orFaneto wrote:Hello all,

I am hoping to get some ideas on my chances of admission (and possibly scholarships) and t14 schools if I was to apply to law school in two years.
Also, any advice on things that I can do to make myself an even better candidate (responses to this can be as creative as possible, because I am willing to try anything).
My stats:

3.35 (3.85 last two years)
History major, large private university
Teach For America corps member
165-170 LSAT (my PT range)
URM

Thanks for any help.
Get an lsat score before asking to be chanced. Your softs are fine. The best thing you can do for your chances is to prepare for the lsat, because your gpa is locked in.

ood

New

Post by ood » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:49 pm

Yup, get your lsat.

And that tfa line on your resume Is losing more weight each year. Especially for the typical 2 year commitment.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:55 pm

TFA is not an impressive soft anymore. In one of my t14 classes as a 2L, 1/5th of a 80+ class was TFA. So that wont help your admission chances.

You need to get an lsat score. This forum is full of people pting at 170 and then coming back saying oh how did I get a 155 on the real thing? Just focus on the exam, don't even think about schools yet.

ood

New

Post by ood » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:03 pm

TFA alumni here who had their JS1.

My interviewer said "I hope you don't mind, but I prefer we skip over your time TFA." Meaning she has heard it all.

Also TFA is getting hate from many academics, mainly those in Education.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm a TFA alumna. I agree with the sentiments above - no one cares about TFA anyway, at least with regards to ADMISSION to law school.

That being said, I have gotten a lot of attention as a TFA alumna now that I'm looking for a summer internship. Firms love it, non-profits love it, the government loves it... and I have a feeling it'll be positively received during OCI, too.

T6orFaneto

New

Post by T6orFaneto » Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I appreciate the feedback, although I'd like to point out that their being a lot of TFA people at law schools doesn't mean it's not a good soft, it just means it's not a rare one.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon May 15, 2017 12:54 pm

T6orFaneto wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone. I appreciate the feedback, although I'd like to point out that their being a lot of TFA people at law schools doesn't mean it's not a good soft, it just means it's not a rare one.
Strong softs ARE the rare ones- Rhodes, olympian, etc. In one of my 2l classes at a t13, 1/3rd of the whole 50+ class was TFA. It wont move the needle for you in your application. Get your lsat score and then come back.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Mon May 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Echoing the sentiments here with one additional point:

Your LSAT needs to be higher. A 165/3.35 is fine, but really you should push for 170+ as it will make you a really strong applicant. If you're looking for weird things to do to improve your application, there is nothing glamorous, only a hard LSAT grind until test day in your cards right now.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Mon May 15, 2017 3:22 pm

I have no idea whether law schools actually care about TFA. I just wanted to point out a possible logical flaw in some of the feedback you've gotten so far.

If 1/5th of a 2L class is TFA, that might suggest that TFA is not a unique credential, as those who posted above implied. Or it could suggest that the admissions department really loves TFA and lets in everyone who has it.

Edit: Just saw that the OP scooped me in making this same observation above. In a last-ditch effort to save this post by adding something original, I will boldly suggest that the OP become an Eagle Scout, win an amateur boxing championship, or invent a robot that cures a disease in Africa. Each of these softs tend to be very helpful.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”