SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SEOLawRecruiter

New

Re: SEO Law Recruiter: Answering Questions

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Mjvance2 wrote:Is there an age cutoff? I know the site mentions undergrads and recent grads as the target demo. I'm 30, so I know I'm a bit older, but am I out of the range?
No age cut-off. We've had people well into their 30s complete the program. More mature candidates are usually very successful.

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 pm

PrezRand wrote:How many people get SEO? Additionally, do you get to pick the firm and where you want to work?
Varies year by year, but the past couple of years has been in the high 80s. We are projecting low 90s this year.

You do not get to pick your firm. You do get to state a location preference. You do not accept your offer without knowing your geographic location-- so you can turn it down if you do not want to go to a certain city. Firm placement happens after you accept your offer.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello! Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions. I am wondering roughly what percent of those offered interviews are eventually offered the internship (or if those statistics are available)? Again, thanks so much.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 pm

Is it too late to apply? I just got a letter in the mail urging me to apply. I did not know what SEO was until then.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:04 am

Is there a list of firms you all partner with?

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:47 am

notorious_mig wrote:Hello! Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions. I am wondering roughly what percent of those offered interviews are eventually offered the internship (or if those statistics are available)? Again, thanks so much.
Sorry those statistics are not available. And would vary greatly anyway year to year.

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:48 am

brinicolec wrote:Is there a list of firms you all partner with?
Yes it is on the website.

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:49 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:Is it too late to apply? I just got a letter in the mail urging me to apply. I did not know what SEO was until then.
Not at all! Our deadline is approaching but you still have time to apply. The application is fairly easy if you've applied to law school already-- you should have everything done.

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 am

Some of you likely were invited to interview yesterday.

I would highly recommend you spend time on the seo law website (seolaw.org). You should know details of the program and why you're applying, where you'd like to practice (city/market) and practice areas you're interested in-- our partner firm websites are good places to check that out.

Other than that, be on time, be professional and presentable, relax and you should be fine. It's 20 minutes, and a conversation more than anything.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:06 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:36 am

SEOLawRecruiter wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:Hello! Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions. I am wondering roughly what percent of those offered interviews are eventually offered the internship (or if those statistics are available)? Again, thanks so much.
Sorry those statistics are not available. And would vary greatly anyway year to year.
Thank you very much for your response!

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:30 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:
SEOLawRecruiter wrote:Some of you likely were invited to interview yesterday.

I would highly recommend you spend time on the seo law website (seolaw.org). You should know details of the program and why you're applying, where you'd like to practice (city/market) and practice areas you're interested in-- our partner firm websites are good places to check that out.
Just to clarify, should we be prepared to name some of the firms we're interested in, or just our practice areas of interest? You mentioned yesterday that
You do not get to pick your firm. You do get to state a location preference.
Thank you again for your time and help here answering our questions!
You should fully research the program, including the partner firms and their practice areas.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 am

For those of us preparing to interview, what would you say the attire is? Business casual (blouse, dress pants for a woman) or business formal (suit)

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:12 am

is it possible to submit the general application now and then apply for the scholarship essay at a later time (but before the deadline)?

MoonyUpToNoGood

New

Post by MoonyUpToNoGood » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 am

You indicated earlier on the thread that one of SEO's targets are Hispanic students. I am Brazilian and consider myself Latina, not Hispanic. Am I still included in the target group?

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 pm

brinicolec wrote:For those of us preparing to interview, what would you say the attire is? Business casual (blouse, dress pants for a woman) or business formal (suit)
Be as professional as you can. SEO is business casual dress, so the interviewer will likely not be in a suit jacket. Doesn't matter what you wear on the bottom as it's Skype, but I would recommend a jacket so you look as polished as you can. It's still an interview, and lawyers wear suits to interviews.

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:is it possible to submit the general application now and then apply for the scholarship essay at a later time (but before the deadline)?
Sure.

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:59 pm

MoonyUpToNoGood wrote:You indicated earlier on the thread that one of SEO's targets are Hispanic students. I am Brazilian and consider myself Latina, not Hispanic. Am I still included in the target group?
it is self-identification. The questions we ask are the same as US census questions. It will be-- Are you Hispanic/Latino? and then ask you to pick a race-- black, white, american indian, etc.

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:00 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Apologies if this echoes other questions already posed here or on other TLS threads, but I also have an ethnicity-related question:

One side of my family is Mexican as well as Castilian, so I identify as Hispanic/Latin@, but because of my light complexion I don't consider myself a "person of color." I've already submitted my application to SEO and am really excited about the possibility of participating in such an awesome program, but I'm worried I may not appear "diverse" enough, especially to partner firms seeking to diversify. I can't think of a better way to express my thoughts and ask this question, but is this a legitimate thing to worry about, or is this a groundless concern?

Thank you again for your help and for taking the time to advise us here!
If you identify as Hispanic, then it's a groundless concern.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Are international students considered for the fellowship if they are eligible to work full-time in the U.S (for example, through OPT)?

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:24 am

ThatOneAfrican wrote:Are international students considered for the fellowship if they are eligible to work full-time in the U.S (for example, through OPT)?
No sorry-- only U.S. citizens and permanent residents, as well as DACA students, are eligible.

uhwrestler

Bronze

Post by uhwrestler » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:48 pm

SEOLawRecruiter wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:Are international students considered for the fellowship if they are eligible to work full-time in the U.S (for example, through OPT)?
No sorry-- only U.S. citizens and permanent residents, as well as DACA students, are eligible.

You are receiving this message because you've recently submitted an application to the SEO Law Fellowship Program. This is a reminder that, before your application can be reviewed, you must upload all of the following components:

- an LSAT score;

- GPA

- your law school personal statement;

- the complete list of schools to which you've applied, and your status at each (in order of preference);

- your transcripts; and

- your resume (in the SEO format)

- Photo (optional)

Sorry if I these two questions have already been answered.
1) How do we know our app is ready to review is there a status checker?
2) For LSAT score is the score we entered enough or do we have to send a report from LSAC?

thanks in advance

SEOLawRecruiter

New

Post by SEOLawRecruiter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:59 am

uhwrestler wrote:
SEOLawRecruiter wrote:

You are receiving this message because you've recently submitted an application to the SEO Law Fellowship Program. This is a reminder that, before your application can be reviewed, you must upload all of the following components:

- an LSAT score;

- GPA

- your law school personal statement;

- the complete list of schools to which you've applied, and your status at each (in order of preference);

- your transcripts; and

- your resume (in the SEO format)

- Photo (optional)

Sorry if I these two questions have already been answered.
1) How do we know our app is ready to review is there a status checker?
2) For LSAT score is the score we entered enough or do we have to send a report from LSAC?

thanks in advance
There isn't a status checker. You need to check and see that your application has all the components outlined in that email. If you got that email it's because you were missing something.

Just enter the score that is fine.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Since my interview, I have come across an area that I think may be of interest (litigation) that I wasn't really familiar with at the time of the interview and therefore, I didn't mention it or consider it when looking into the partner firms. Is this something important that I should let you all know (as it may relate to placement) now or if I'm offered a fellowship?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”