AA Reverse splitter seeking list advice Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lula43

Bronze

AA Reverse splitter seeking list advice

Post by lula43 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:49 pm

Last edited by lula43 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rav17

New

Re: AA Super splitter seeking list advice

Post by rav17 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Don't waste that fantastic GPA on a low LSAT. Keep studying, you have about 2 months left, more than enough time to pull up that score into at least the mid 160s. If you can score in the 165 range or even higher you're writing your ticket to Harvard and potentially Stanford and Yale. Study up and apply to all schools the t14 schools.
Last edited by rav17 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:18 pm

You can get into CUNY School of Law (though you'll likely have to take a one year remedial course known as Pipeline). If you add another 5 points, then you can get into Brooklyn or Rutgers. You'll a shoe-in for Florida A&M Law School.

If you get a 161 then you can get into every school you listed. You even have an outside shot at an Ivy. Of course, talk is cheap and you actually have to do so. I'm not saying that you're incapable, but I'm not into predictions.

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:28 pm

L_William_W wrote:You can get into CUNY School of Law (though you'll likely have to take a one year remedial course known as Pipeline). If you add another 5 points, then you can get into Brooklyn or Rutgers. You'll a shoe-in for Florida A&M Law School.

If you get a 161 then you can get into every school you listed. You even have an outside shot at an Ivy. Of course, talk is cheap and you actually have to do so. I'm not saying that you're incapable, but I'm not into predictions.

Thanks. Are your predictions for CUNY, Brooklyn, and Rutgers with my current 147?

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:29 pm

rav17 wrote:Don't waste that fantastic GPA on a low LSAT. Keep studying, you have about 2 months left, more than enough time to pull up that score into at least the mid 160s. If you can score in the 165 range or even higher you're writing your ticket to Harvard and potentially Stanford and Yale. Study up and apply to all schools the t14 schools.
I sure hope it is enough time. I am really trying my best but working full-time is killing me. I'm confident I can do it, though. I was told by a few others that Stanford and Yale would never accept me because of that 147. Thoughts on that?

rav17

New

Post by rav17 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:39 pm

lula43 wrote:
rav17 wrote:Don't waste that fantastic GPA on a low LSAT. Keep studying, you have about 2 months left, more than enough time to pull up that score into at least the mid 160s. If you can score in the 165 range or even higher you're writing your ticket to Harvard and potentially Stanford and Yale. Study up and apply to all schools the t14 schools.
I sure hope it is enough time. I am really trying my best but working full-time is killing me. I'm confident I can do it, though. I was told by a few others that Stanford and Yale would never accept me because of that 147. Thoughts on that?
You will certainly not be admitted to Harvard, Stanford, Yale or any top law school with a 147 LSAT, it's just way too low of a score. If you can hit low 160s, you're looking at multiple t14 acceptances with money. With a mid 160s score you have a good shot at Harvard and Stanford, Yale would still be a quite a reach though. You would probably need at least a 170 for a good chance at Yale.

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:42 pm

rav17 wrote:
lula43 wrote:
You will certainly not be admitted to Harvard, Stanford, Yale or any top law school with a 147 LSAT, it's just way too low of a score. If you can hit low 160s, you're looking at multiple T-14 acceptances with money. A mid 160s score you're looking at Harvard and Stanford. For Yale, you would probably need at least a 170.

Oh yes I definitely understand that! haha. Should've been clearer about this: Several people have told me that even if I hit the high 160s Stanford and Yale will not admit me because they will still be able to SEE that 147. What are your thoughts about that?

rav17

New

Post by rav17 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:45 pm

lula43 wrote:
rav17 wrote:
lula43 wrote:
You will certainly not be admitted to Harvard, Stanford, Yale or any top law school with a 147 LSAT, it's just way too low of a score. If you can hit low 160s, you're looking at multiple T-14 acceptances with money. A mid 160s score you're looking at Harvard and Stanford. For Yale, you would probably need at least a 170.

Oh yes I definitely understand that! haha. Should've been clearer about this: Several people have told me that even if I hit the high 160s Stanford and Yale will not admit me because they will still be able to SEE that 147. What are your thoughts about that?
Nah, the only school that MAY care a little bit is Yale, but even then it shouldn't adversely affect your chances of gaining admission because they typically only consider your highest score. Just write an addendum explaining the discrepancy in your scores and you'll be fine. I'm a Yale undergrad, one of my best friends who is a fellow AA is going to start at the law school next month and he wrote twice, scored a 161 then a 173. He wrote an addendum and it didn't seem to have any affect on his cycle (he got into all t14 schools).

EDIT: I realize that my friend's experience is not completely analogous to yours namely because his first score was substantially higher than yours. The point is however that you should forget about the 147, get a better score, and apply to all t14 schools, they'll be primarily concerned with your highest score. If you score substantially higher on your re-write, your 147 won't stop you from getting into any school.
Last edited by rav17 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:49 pm

lula43 wrote:
L_William_W wrote:You can get into CUNY School of Law (though you'll likely have to take a one year remedial course known as Pipeline). If you add another 5 points, then you can get into Brooklyn or Rutgers. You'll a shoe-in for Florida A&M Law School.

Thanks. Are your predictions for CUNY, Brooklyn, and Rutgers with my current 147?
With that GPA, the 147 will get you into CUNY (but you'll have to complete Pipeline). You'll probably need at least a 152 to get into Brooklyn or Rutgers.

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:41 am

rav17 wrote:
lula43 wrote:
rav17 wrote:
lula43 wrote:

Nah, the only school that MAY care a little bit is Yale, but even then it shouldn't adversely affect your chances of gaining admission because they typically only consider your highest score. Just write an addendum explaining the discrepancy in your scores and you'll be fine. I'm a Yale undergrad, one of my best friends who is a fellow AA is going to start at the law school next month and he wrote twice, scored a 161 then a 173. He wrote an addendum and it didn't seem to have any affect on his cycle (he got into all t14 schools).

EDIT: I realize that my friend's experience is not completely analogous to yours namely because his first score was substantially higher than yours. The point is however that you should forget about the 147, get a better score, and apply to all t14 schools, they'll be primarily concerned with your highest score. If you score substantially higher on your re-write, your 147 won't stop you from getting into any school.
I understand. Thanks a lot! Do you know which schools in the T14 are more receptive than others of my application type (URM reverse splitter)?

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:44 am

lula43 wrote:
rav17 wrote:
lula43 wrote:
rav17 wrote:
lula43 wrote:

I understand. Thanks a lot! Do you know which schools in the T14 are more receptive than others of my application type (URM reverse splitter)?
All the t14s favour high GPAs over lsats for URM's as far as ive seen. You still need to get into the high 150s at least for admission into to lower t14s. Low 160s gets you some money/t6s. Mid 160s should get you in at Harvard.

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:16 am

jnwa wrote:
lula43 wrote:
rav17 wrote:
lula43 wrote:
rav17 wrote:
lula43 wrote:

All the t14s favour high GPAs over lsats for URM's as far as ive seen. You still need to get into the high 150s at least for admission into to lower t14s. Low 160s gets you some money/t6s. Mid 160s should get you in at Harvard.
Thank you. Would you suggest that I have two separate lists until I get my Sept. score back? Georgetown (applying no matter what) and down if I get a 157-60 and Penn down if I get 160+? Also, how many schools is a reasonable amount to apply to in general?

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:34 am

x
Last edited by jnwa on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:41 am

jnwa wrote:
lula43 wrote:
Thank you. Would you suggest that I have two separate lists until I get my Sept. score back? Georgetown (applying no matter what) and down if I get a 157-60 and Penn down if I get 160+? Also, how many schools is a reasonable amount to apply to in general?
The lists make sense. Id lean more towards applying to more schools than less. If you are strapped for app fees then it makes sense to be a little more conservative. I applied to the whole t14 plus I'd say apply everywhere youd he interested in attending as well as some safeties for scholly negotiation purposes.
Got it. I should be able to get a fee waiver everywhere and will be applying to about 15 schools. What do you think about EDing at Georgetown?

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:16 am

x
Last edited by jnwa on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: AA Reverse splitter seeking list advice

Post by grades?? » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:20 am

You should not even THINK about applications until this next lsat. You need to put all your time and energy into crushing this next exam.

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Fellow reverse splitter, though not quite so extreme.

Not to beat a dead horse, but TS: you need to forget applications--forget everything--until that LSAT comes (way) up. Attack the test until you own it and have the score to prove it. If it means delaying a year, honestly, then so be it. When you're sitting pretty at Y/H or paying $0 tuition at a t15, which you can absolutely expect with your particulars as they are stated here, you will not regret it.

And the rest has been covered, I think. Carpet bomb the t15 using waivers. Sometimes you need to call for a waiver, but IIRC more often than not the waivers are silent until you get to LSAC's payment screen. Even without a waiver, don't skimp. I wouldn't ED anywhere in your position.

HarveySpecterr

New

Post by HarveySpecterr » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:23 pm

lula43 wrote:.
I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet, but with a stellar GPA and lackluster LSAT, you might consider writing an addendum that frames you as someone very smart who simply doesn't perform well on standardized tests. It's a well known fact that, for whatever reason -- and I'm sure some psychologist has given it a name -- in some cases these tests fail miserably at measuring even the type of intelligence they seek to appraise. If I were in your shoes, I'd write a short, persuasive essay that fashions myself as one of those people for whom a standardized tests just doesn't tell the whole story.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:34 pm

What did you end up doing?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”