URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
chewinggum

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by chewinggum » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Last edited by chewinggum on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:45 pm

chewinggum wrote:.
Inspiring. Also, I hope your name is a reference to the television show. If it isn't, you should just floss like it is.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Just got dinged at Penn :|

Welp! But in all seriousness - I'm not sad at all.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Does anyone know of people who took a Barbri pre-1L course during the summer? It's pricey af but I'm debating on doing that instead of going on vacation anywhere.....

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:18 pm

renc56 wrote:Does anyone know of people who took a Barbri pre-1L course during the summer? It's pricey af but I'm debating on doing that instead of going on vacation anywhere.....
I think the consensus is it's not necessary/won't give you a leg up

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:29 pm

brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:Does anyone know of people who took a Barbri pre-1L course during the summer? It's pricey af but I'm debating on doing that instead of going on vacation anywhere.....
All their e-mails are making me paranoid and thinking I'm missing out on something. I'm not too surprised to hear that :/

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:Just got dinged at Penn :|

Welp! But in all seriousness - I'm not sad at all.
Sorry to hear. I wonder what they are doing. I just got an update on the Waitlist.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:42 pm

I agree with brinicolec. Had a friend who did a similar course- albeit not Barbri - and regretted it. Said she learned some study habits that didn't actually translate to law school and they were hard to break.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:37 pm

renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
All their e-mails are making me paranoid and thinking I'm missing out on something. I'm not too surprised to hear that :/
Omg it's spam af I wish they would stop. lol

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
I agree with brinicolec. Had a friend who did a similar course- albeit not Barbri - and regretted it. Said she learned some study habits that didn't actually translate to law school and they were hard to break.
Look up pipeline diversity program . If you're doing seo we have the little law school prep portion (and congrats btw!) but some firms also work w law schools to sponsor urms for the summer courses or prelaw programs that are like a week long. You can pm if you want I applied

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:51 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Look up pipeline diversity program . If you're doing seo we have the little law school prep portion (and congrats btw!) but some firms also work w law schools to sponsor urms for the summer courses or prelaw programs that are like a week long. You can pm if you want I applied
Thanks! Congrats to you too!
I applied to the pipeline diversity program and hoping it works out! Otherwise everyone's told me that there's nothing I can really do to prepare. I hear that and still think I can in some way.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:09 am

renc56 wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
I applied to the pipeline diversity program and hoping it works out! Otherwise everyone's told me that there's nothing I can really do to prepare. I hear that and still think I can in some way.
Current students seem to think the best way to prep is to just relax and enjoy your life before 1L lol

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 am

brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Current students seem to think the best way to prep is to just relax and enjoy your life before 1L lol
Everyone I have talked to: "Oh, you should go travel!"/"Have fun!"/"Relax!"
Me: Putting together a list of where to apply for jobs, who I should talk to, making a 8-5 schedule for law school

..slight exaggeration but I'm unable to relax for more than 2 days :lol:

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 am

Yup everyone says to chill lol.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am

This might not be the thread for this, but I'm looking for some LSAT advice. I'm currently registered for the June test and started studying in early March. I'm wondering if I should take the June test (as planned) with a retake, if necessary, in September, or switch my date to the September test altogether.

I'm using PowerScore's 3-month study plan and take my first PT this weekend. It hit me a few days ago that I might have wanted to start taking PT's sooner but I was trying to follow the study plan.

I've heard that multiple retest don't necessarily hurt your chances and schools only consider your highest score. But I don't have the best GPA and I don't want to leave anything up to chance.

Any advice helps. Thanks!

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:58 am

chewinggum wrote:This might not be the thread for this, but I'm looking for some LSAT advice. I'm currently registered for the June test and started studying in early March. I'm wondering if I should take the June test (as planned) with a retake, if necessary, in September, or switch my date to the September test altogether.

I'm using PowerScore's 3-month study plan and take my first PT this weekend. It hit me a few days ago that I might have wanted to start taking PT's sooner but I was trying to follow the study plan.

I've heard that multiple retest don't necessarily hurt your chances and schools only consider your highest score. But I don't have the best GPA and I don't want to leave anything up to chance.

The LSAT prep thread is probably a better place to get advice, but for what its worth I did a modified powerscore 2 month study plan (basically replaced reading comp study with future logical reasoning stuff and then added more practice tests at the end) and it went fine.

If you are still in the cancellation window, and don't feel comfortable/that first Ptest shows no improvement it might be worth moving the test to September though.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:21 am

chewinggum wrote:This might not be the thread for this, but I'm looking for some LSAT advice. I'm currently registered for the June test and started studying in early March. I'm wondering if I should take the June test (as planned) with a retake, if necessary, in September, or switch my date to the September test altogether.

I definitely recommend the LSAT prep thread - it was something I could have used. 7Sage has free videos of the Logic Games from the exams which essentially taught me how to do them/what they looked like.

Snell & Wilmer has a scholarship for a LSAT prep course and there's likely more firms that provide financial aid for prep courses. depending on if you're in school - Sidley Austin has a LSAT prep course for juniors and seniors.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:02 am

Thank you both!

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Do you guys think there is any benefit in starting to read the course books beforehand to get familiar with the material. I am really with my low Lsat score that I'm not as prepared as everyone else, and want to do whatever is necessary to get those grades! Any help is appreciated! :))

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 pm

rwajo12 wrote:Do you guys think
no I would not do this. Be confident, you got in for a reason! Try to relax as much as possible before the fall

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:17 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
no I would not do this. Be confident, you got in for a reason! Try to relax as much as possible before the fall
How about reading those outlining guide books on how to properly write law school exams and to study for them.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:21 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
How about reading those outlining guide books on how to properly write law school exams and to study for them.
from my understanding, law school exams are not about how much law you know. It's about saying what each individual professor wants you to say and catering your knowledge to each professor. You will not be able to get that until your in class. Maybe you could read some work or find an outline your professor wrote but most people won't know who their professors are until orientation. Then again, I haven't been to law school so perhaps I am wrong but I would be fully rested and ready to dive into it when its time to begin.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Here's the 2016-2017 URM cycle results excel -- please add your info to help out future URMs!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:25 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
from my understanding, law school exams are not about how much law you know. It's about saying what each individual professor wants you to say and catering your knowledge to each professor. You will not be able to get that until your in class. Maybe you could read some work or find an outline your professor wrote but most people won't know who their professors are until orientation. Then again, I haven't been to law school so perhaps I am wrong but I would be fully rested and ready to dive into it when its time to begin.
Your probably right! Good looking out, thanks! I think most of us worry because we've been told your lsat represents where on the grade curve you will be first year. So it feels as if we are starting at an uneven point with those who have higher scores.

Dip

New

Post by Dip » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Ding at NYU. Expected .

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”