URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
poptart123

Silver

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by poptart123 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:06 pm

brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
renc56 wrote:Has anyone who has accepted or is likely to accept admission into the school chat up the dean? I'm debating on doing this since the dean keeps sending out "I'm friendly, you all can talk to me" e-mails lol.
go for it. they already admitted you. i will say that there are some deans that are way more involved with students than others. not sure which school you're referring to but in my experience, Levi @ Duke and Farnsworth @ Texas are super easy to talk to/responsive, especially Farnsworth.
It's Farnsworth.

idk I had a really bad relationship with uni administration from undergrad so I'm hoping it won't be as bad in law school. Maybe knowing them as people and having them know me as a person will make the process easier.
Oh Farnsworth is hella personable. Definitely just shoot him an email lol
Ask him for a copy of The Legal Analyst and he will send you one

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Anyone else attend the admitted students weekend for Chicago? Thoughts?

Mjvance2

New

Post by Mjvance2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:23 pm

brinicolec wrote:
renc56 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
renc56 wrote:Has anyone who has accepted or is likely to accept admission into the school chat up the dean? I'm debating on doing this since the dean keeps sending out "I'm friendly, you all can talk to me" e-mails lol.
go for it. they already admitted you. i will say that there are some deans that are way more involved with students than others. not sure which school you're referring to but in my experience, Levi @ Duke and Farnsworth @ Texas are super easy to talk to/responsive, especially Farnsworth.
It's Farnsworth.

idk I had a really bad relationship with uni administration from undergrad so I'm hoping it won't be as bad in law school. Maybe knowing them as people and having them know me as a person will make the process easier.
Oh Farnsworth is hella personable. Definitely just shoot him an email lol
I'll be at UT in the fall, and I can cosign. Farnsworth is "hella personable". I spoke with him at ASD and at an alumni event and he's a great guy. If you've already made the decision to attend UT, the conversation will probably be even better, because he no longer has to try and sell you on the school.

The photo the Admissions office asks for is for him. He makes it a point to learn every incoming students name and face by the first week.

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:32 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Anyone else attend the admitted students weekend for Chicago? Thoughts?
I didn't go, but two friends who went agreed it feels a little cold/rigorous - one of my friends is into that so she's attending barring any increases in scholarships elsewhere, the other one just didn't feel like he'd fit in with that kind of culture and cares about qualitative and not just quantitative criteria so is probably heading to Michigan ("the feel" versus "the outcomes").

Roose

New

Post by Roose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:41 pm

So.. I've been offered 60k at Cornell, 150k at Georgetown, COA will be fully debt financed beyond that. If my goal is big law does anyone have opinion on whether it'd be crazy to bite the bullet and go to Cornell, with fallback option of PAYE until I can get a qualifying public-interest job, for loan forgivness, if big law doesn't pan out at all/long enough to repay?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Roose wrote:So.. I've been offered 60k at Cornell, 150k at Georgetown, COA will be fully debt financed beyond that. If my goal is big law does anyone have opinion on whether it'd be crazy to bite the bulle6 and go to Cornell, with fallback option of PAYE until I can get a qualifying public-interest job if big law doesn't pan out at all/long enough to repay?
GT new numbers include about a 50/50 shot at biglaw/clerkship and Cornell you have a 3 out of 4 shot. Is that worth an extra 90k + interest? It just might be tbh. Have you tried negotiating?

Roose

New

Post by Roose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:00 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
Roose wrote:So.. I've been offered 60k at Cornell, 150k at Georgetown, COA will be fully debt financed beyond that. If my goal is big law does anyone have opinion on whether it'd be crazy to bite the bulle6 and go to Cornell, with fallback option of PAYE until I can get a qualifying public-interest job if big law doesn't pan out at all/long enough to repay?
GT new numbers include about a 50/50 shot at biglaw/clerkship and Cornell you have a 3 out of 4 shot. Is that worth an extra 90k + interest? It just might be tbh. Have you tried negotiating?
Yeah, I tried to negotiate and they unfortunately declined a change it. Yeah those odds are what I need to weigh I guess. Leaning towards Cornell, since if it doesn't work out at either and I have a lower salary payments would be the same at both amounts; and if it works out extra payments wouldn't be unbearable.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Roose wrote:So.. I've been offered 60k at Cornell, 150k at Georgetown, COA will be fully debt financed beyond that. If my goal is big law does anyone have opinion on whether it'd be crazy to bite the bullet and go to Cornell, with fallback option of PAYE until I can get a qualifying public-interest job, for loan forgivness, if big law doesn't pan out at all/long enough to repay?
I think if you know you want BL then Cornell makes more sense.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Roose wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
Yeah, I tried to negotiate and they unfortunately declined a change it. Yeah those odds are what I need to weigh I guess. Leaning towards Cornell, since if it doesn't work out at either and I have a lower salary payments would be the same at both amounts; and if it works out extra payments wouldn't be unbearable.
I would keep trying. Be nice but persistent. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:38 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:

It's about to get confusing up in here with my avi but I couldn't resist :lol:

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:47 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

What have you done to Mr. Chukes?!

:lol:

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:30 am

renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Lmao when I looked at the notification, I was like did I quote myself.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:

Lmao when I looked at the notification, I was like did I quote myself.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Just posting to update in case anyone current or future cares, I turned down the BLOS scholarship at Berkeley.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:30 pm

crookedsmile wrote:Just posting to update in case anyone current or future cares, I turned down the BLOS scholarship at Berkeley.
So you Harvard bound?

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:Just posting to update in case anyone current or future cares, I turned down the BLOS scholarship at Berkeley.
So you Harvard bound?
Haven't completed decided (Duke/Mich/CLS still on the table), but let's just say I've started looking for a good pair of boots 8)

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:37 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
So you Harvard bound?
Haven't completed decided (Duke/Mich/CLS still on the table), but let's just say I've started looking for a good pair of boots 8)
As it relates to personal development, I think it's a good idea to try a new region. You've got the rest of your life to live in CA!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:41 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
So you Harvard bound?
I'm so happy for you bro! Gonna be cool to meet you Thursday lol.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
So you Harvard bound?
:!: :!: :!:

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:01 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
So you Harvard bound?
That's an amazing situation to be in :)

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the support and love. This group has been my saving grace this cycle. Y'all are all fam now.

chasima

Bronze

Post by chasima » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:14 pm

got georgetown to increase my merit aid, and deposited yesterday!

i think someone mentioned a similar topic a few pages back, but what is everyone thinking about the timeline for finding housing if you're relocating for school? are you just gonna take a weekend to travel and search? a week? especially if any of you are doing SEO, not sure when the best time to plan for that would be... i will probably be living with friends and/or family but what about roommates or finding additional roommates?

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Big up stephylynette for getting that NYU acceptance

I stalk your LSN girl, yes i do!!! HAHAHA

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:Big up stephylynette for getting that NYU acceptance

I stalk your LSN girl, yes i do!!! HAHAHA