URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mr_Chukes

Silver

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:54 am

brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Not relevant to anything we've been talking about but Drake's new album is kinda trash af.
Views was ass to lol.
I thought so too!

Drake has gotten increasingly worse over the years lol
I've been bumping take care the last few days. Love that album.

Mrs_Chukes

New

Post by Mrs_Chukes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:59 am

Baby Gaga wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
AJ1010 wrote:What are most of you guys planning to do for housing 1L year? on campus or off? alone or with roommate(s)?
off campus 1 roommate. I'm hoping to use ASW to find a roommate but I'll probably end up with a rando
Where you headed goo goo Gaga
Probably New Haven or NYC. I need to visit first. If New York then I'll definitely need a roommate or 2
God bless you and good luck!
Thanks! I hope you and Mrs. Chukes work thru everything!
Thank Yu. Mr. Chukes could've also gone to New Haven or Cambridge like you but we have decided to stay in LA

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 am

Mrs_Chukes wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
AJ1010 wrote:What are most of you guys planning to do for housing 1L year? on campus or off? alone or with roommate(s)?
off campus 1 roommate. I'm hoping to use ASW to find a roommate but I'll probably end up with a rando
Probably New Haven or NYC. I need to visit first. If New York then I'll definitely need a roommate or 2
Thank Yu. Mr. Chukes could've also gone to New Haven or Cambridge like you but we have decided to stay in LA
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chasima

Bronze

Post by chasima » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Not relevant to anything we've been talking about but Drake's new album is kinda trash af.
Views was ass to lol.
I thought so too!

omgg I LOVE take care!!! in undergrad, i would go to the gym every day and listen to the album in its entirety. i lost around 40 pounds that year, lol. take care made me a better human.

i really liked nothing was the same too, but i honestly didn't even know he came out with a new album.. which is really telling considering how big of a fan i used to be

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Mrs_Chukes wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:
I must say, I'm excited to meet the two of you at USC ASD.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:33 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
Are you going to the tour on the 27th or just Law day?

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Planning on going to diversity reception on the 13th and Law Day on the 14th. You?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:12 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Planning on going to diversity reception on the 13th and Law Day on the 14th. You?
Both but I will also be there on the 27th lol. This time I know I won't be the only black person lol.

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Another WL - Chicago. Thought not an admittance, I think this cycle has taught me that applying to as many law schools as one can is the way to go. I have some C&F issues, and my assumption was I'd be a reject at the places I haven't been (assumed Chicago and Columbia were gonna be real sticklers about my 'background') and nearly didn't apply because of those doubts.
Last edited by sfn91 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dip

New

Post by Dip » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:10 pm

In at GW!

And I'm not a Drake fan but I thought More Life was pretty good

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Dip wrote:In at GW!

And I'm not a Drake fan but I thought More Life was pretty good
Congrats! :D

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Both but I will also be there on the 27th lol. This time I know I won't be the only black person lol.
Lol, I'm sure you're still going to be easy to spot bro.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
crookedsmile wrote:
Lol, I'm sure you're still going to be easy to spot bro.
Very true. Look forward to meeting you friend. Also dietcoke and Rigo will be there.

janereacher

Bronze

Post by janereacher » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 pm

sfn91 wrote:Another WL - Chicago. Thought not an admittance, I think this cycle has taught me that applying to as many law schools as one can is the way to go. I have some C&F issues, and my assumption was I'd be a reject at the places I haven't been (assumed Chicago and Columbia were gonna be real sticklers about my 'background') and nearly didn't apply because of those doubts.
I am also riding the Chicago WL - along with Penn. And, I agree, it's worth applying everywhere. With a <25 GPA AND LSAT for the T14, my only straight reject so far is BU. And, I also have a minor C&F issue. "You gotta be in it to win it" as they say.

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:22 pm

chasima wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Views was ass to lol.
I thought so too!

omgg I LOVE take care!!! in undergrad, i would go to the gym every day and listen to the album in its entirety. i lost around 40 pounds that year, lol. take care made me a better human.

i really liked nothing was the same too, but i honestly didn't even know he came out with a new album.. which is really telling considering how big of a fan i used to be
I wish he would just stop doing that Jamaican/patois thing lmao it's tew much. Controlla was kinda the line for me lol liiiike you're from Toronto Drake....

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:03 am

2000andBeyond wrote:
chasima wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Views was ass to lol.
I thought so too!

I wish he would just stop doing that Jamaican/patois thing lmao it's tew much. Controlla was kinda the line for me lol liiiike you're from Toronto Drake....
He must be having an identity crisis or something lol. He thinks he's from everywhere

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:32 am

brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
chasima wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Views was ass to lol.
I thought so too!

He must be having an identity crisis or something lol. He thinks he's from everywhere

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:35 am

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:Feeling kinda sad that I'm not up to the roommate stage yet. Gotta pick a school first but still, having severe decision envy lol
What are your top choices?
UVA, Emory, and Mich. Nothing's changed in months lol

ETA: You're down to NU and Mich, no?
Well, if we both decide on Michigan, MAYBE having a roommate doesn't sound like the worst thing - depending on if you're cheap about rent or nah lol. But also, for summer start, you can sublet and I looked over some of the list and they're pretty affordable. Some are kind of pricey though

And yeah. I thought it would be a relief and for awhile I had decided I didn't like Ann Arbor so I didn't want to go to Michigan and would go to NU but then I started thinking about it more and now I'm completely undecided again so... yeah... this is fun lol.
Where do you want to practice? Michigan is always going to be the higher ranked school of the two (if that matters to you), and while both are nationally known and accepted, your COA at Michigan is going to be cheaper overall, with similar employment outcomes.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:07 am

My cat is going to be my roomate. I'm thinking of getting her registered as a stress cat by my doctor. That way I can take her anywhere.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:57 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
My cat is going to be my roomate. I'm thinking of getting her registered as a stress cat by my doctor. That way I can take her anywhere.
I'm thinking about getting a pup

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:05 pm

In at Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Duke and Georgetown. Just waiting on Harvard to reject me :)

crookedsmile

Bronze

Post by crookedsmile » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:13 pm

fips tedora wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Down to be your roommate if you do. Pups=life

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:37 pm

crookedsmile wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Down to be your roommate if you do. Pups=life
Where y'all going?

OnlyHumean

New

Post by OnlyHumean » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:In at Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Duke and Georgetown. Just waiting on Harvard to reject me :)
Congrats! You'll have great options no matter what.

This HLS wait is killing me.

Love me Harvard.

Love me.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:41 pm

fips tedora wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:Feeling kinda sad that I'm not up to the roommate stage yet. Gotta pick a school first but still, having severe decision envy lol
What are your top choices?
UVA, Emory, and Mich. Nothing's changed in months lol

ETA: You're down to NU and Mich, no?
Well, if we both decide on Michigan, MAYBE having a roommate doesn't sound like the worst thing - depending on if you're cheap about rent or nah lol. But also, for summer start, you can sublet and I looked over some of the list and they're pretty affordable. Some are kind of pricey though

And yeah. I thought it would be a relief and for awhile I had decided I didn't like Ann Arbor so I didn't want to go to Michigan and would go to NU but then I started thinking about it more and now I'm completely undecided again so... yeah... this is fun lol.
Where do you want to practice? Michigan is always going to be the higher ranked school of the two (if that matters to you), and while both are nationally known and accepted, your COA at Michigan is going to be cheaper overall, with similar employment outcomes.

Will start in BL, hopefully at a top firm, probably for about the average (3 years)... maybe longer if I can hold out lol (because the longer I'm in BL, the more I can pay down loans). Either DC, NYC, or Chicago would probably be fine with me - I like Proskauer Rose in NYC because they're pretty well-known for their sports law stuff. After my few years (or more) in BL, I want to transition into sports law, so I'm probably going to be pretty flexible on location and just go for the job I like most.

Naturally the sports law part of the plan may change. But, BL to help pay down loans will most likely never change lol

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”