URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawschoolkid94

New

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by lawschoolkid94 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:35 pm

I've enjoyed reading this forum as it taught me a lot about the law school process. My deposit deadline is tomorrow and I have a tough choice to make. My choices are Northwestern with a scholarship for 40K a year, with tuition being 60K a year. Or WUSTL with a scholarship for 48K a year, with tuition being 53K a year. My main goal is to be a sports lawyer without a preference of where I want to live. Can anyone please give me advice to make the best choice for my career considering both rankings and finances?

Hobbesy

Bronze

Post by Hobbesy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:00 pm

lawschoolkid94 wrote:I've enjoyed reading this forum as it taught me a lot about the law school process. My deposit deadline is tomorrow and I have a tough choice to make. My choices are Northwestern with a scholarship for 40K a year, with tuition being 60K a year. Or WUSTL with a scholarship for 48K a year, with tuition being 53K a year. My main goal is to be a sports lawyer without a preference of where I want to live. Can anyone please give me advice to make the best choice for my career considering both rankings and finances?
I was told, by every single lawyer I've talked to from partners to associates, to go to the highest ranked school I got into. I took it with a grain of salt, but I think since the rank gap is so large here and you're getting a good amount of tuition out of NU, it's very applicable.

Also, i don't know the placement stats for WUSTL, but NU places very well because it's so small and everyone wants a different market so there's not much competition from classmates.

Can't say anything specific for sports law, but those are two huge general factors that would push me towards NU.

*this opinion is unbiased ;)

Hobbesy

Bronze

Post by Hobbesy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote: I feel you on this. Sitting comfortably at SC but I threw in that LOCI at Columbia lol. I think it sounded kinda smooth too.
LOL the ultimate in "why not". Would you uproot everything if they said yes though?

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:43 pm

lawschoolkid94 wrote:I've enjoyed reading this forum as it taught me a lot about the law school process. My deposit deadline is tomorrow and I have a tough choice to make. My choices are Northwestern with a scholarship for 40K a year, with tuition being 60K a year. Or WUSTL with a scholarship for 48K a year, with tuition being 53K a year. My main goal is to be a sports lawyer without a preference of where I want to live. Can anyone please give me advice to make the best choice for my career considering both rankings and finances?
Go the cheapest route, and never look back. You want to have more freedom to pursue your niche interest. More debt is more than likely going to force you into someplace where your specialty isn't highly handled. NU is good no matter what, yet the differences in COA are large enough to warrant WashU.

YBF-W

New

Post by YBF-W » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:08 pm

fips tedora wrote:
Go the cheapest route, and never look back. You want to have more freedom to pursue your niche interest. More debt is more than likely going to force you into someplace where your specialty isn't highly handled. NU is good no matter what, yet the differences in COA are large enough to warrant WashU.
So it's 60k vs 15k in loans for tuition. Do you think the opportunities/placement into jobs you're interested in at NU are worth the 45k difference? Have you calculated cost of living? Did you get into higher ranked schools and try to negotiate at NU using those acceptances?

I personally would go to NU because I like Chicago and 60k in loans is really quite doable with many legal jobs, not just big law. But NU is also significantly better ranked and worth the 45k difference.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:32 pm

fips tedora wrote:
Don't agree with the bolded.

Sports law is a niche market, but the main market for it is probably California. Most states have sports teams. New York has many sports team and also, the NBA, NFL, and MLB are headquartered in NYC. Proskauer Rose, which I've seen on the top of best sports law firms, is also in NYC. The big markets for sports/sports law are also the big markets for law in general. However, I will say that "sports lawyer" isn't specific enough for anyone to really give advice centered around what OP wants to do here. sports lawyer as in......what? What's your end game, OP? Agentry? In-house counsel for a team? Working directly for a league? Working for a firm that has a sports law area of practice?

Also, what's COA for each school? Would you start in BL then work your way into the sports law area or are you deadset on starting in sports law?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Hobbesy wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote: I feel you on this. Sitting comfortably at SC but I threw in that LOCI at Columbia lol. I think it sounded kinda smooth too.
LOL the ultimate in "why not". Would you uproot everything if they said yes though?
Maybe I wouldn't get any money though lol. If I did get in, I'd be a legend though lol.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:19 am

NU. This is a no brainer. Northwestern opens infinitely more doors than Wash U and your cost difference is more than manageable.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:44 am

hammy393 wrote:
NU. This is a no brainer. Northwestern opens infinitely more doors than Wash U and your cost difference is more than manageable.
+1000

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm

texcellence wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
+1000
Agree as well

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 pm

armc808 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
+1000
Agree as well
Now that that is settled throw that deposit in lol.

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Hey Y'all,
I coming down to the decision wire and can't pass up the opportunity to get the opinions of the best, least focused thread in all of TLS. Anyone have a family? I'm trying to figure out how to balance the needs of my family with my law school dreams. I've got a great wife and a cute little kid (see avatar). I can say without doubt that keeping my family together is my top priority. I realize that no one can answer the "where should I go" question for me but I've come to respect the folks in this forum and would appreciate your thoughts.

I seriously undershot my applications as an undergrad and ended up at a state school that while good, opened few doors for me. I told myself that I needed to avoid making the same mistake in law school. Yep, I'm a straight up prestige whore.

I've sort of narrowed it down to a choice between Georgetown, Northwestern and the local folks at the University of Colorado. NU and GULC are very similar. They've offered me discounts of 120k and 127.5k. The COA would be: NU 175k and GULC 180K.

I have lived in DC in the past (I know I could be very happy there). My primary interests are voting rights and congressional redistricting, so DC offers offers obvious advantages. I certainly imagine spending my summers at one of a couple of DC firms doing this work.

I loved NU when I visited and like the smallish class size. It's also the best school into which I've been accepted (see prestige whore explanation above).

The disadvantage to both is that it would mean moving my family for at least three years, and likely more. My wife's mother, sister and most of her friends are here in Colorado. We've got a great network and community of support to help her with our newborn. This brings me to the third option. CU Boulder has offered me a full tuition discount meaning that the total COA would be about 85K. The school is ranked 36th so while it's not T14/13 it is still in Tier 1. The faculty have been absolutely great in wooing me and I have a great deal of confidence that they'll offer a lot support. Their DC placement is obviously nothing compared to either of the other schools, but I can depend on recommendations from folks such as U.S. senators.

Which is crazier? Staying local and going with the school that's half the price or asking my wife to move across the country with a toddler to a city in which she has no friends?
Last edited by TripleM on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm

To the asshole who messed up the spreadsheet - Why?

Doing that doesnt change the fact the people got accepted where they did. I dont even understand that type of act???

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:11 pm

TripleM wrote:Hey Y'all
no easy choice it seems but where do you want to practice law? If the answer is outside of CO, then you would have to up root your family anyways?

and if that's the case, then I would choose NU.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:17 pm

TripleM wrote:Hey Y'all,
I also would add that NU seems like the best place to bring a family. Given their higher average age, you are more likely to come across other law school families and I think they even have a group for students that have families. I think it would be very easy for your wife to make friends and meet people in similar positions. Not saying it would be easy in general, but easier than other places.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:30 pm

I coming down to the decision wire and can't pass up the opportunity to get the opinions of the best, least focused thread in all of TLS. Anyone have a family? I'm trying to figure out how to balance the needs of my family with my law school dreams. I've got a great wife and a cute little kid (see avatar). I can say without doubt that keeping my family together is my top priority. I realize that no one can answer the "where should I go" question for me but I've come to respect the folks in this forum and would appreciate your thoughts.

I seriously undershot my applications as an undergrad and ended up at a state school that while good, opened few doors for me. I told myself that I needed to avoid making the same mistake in law school. Yep, I'm a straight up prestige whore.

I've sort of narrowed it down to a choice between Georgetown, Northwestern and the local folks at the University of Colorado. NU and GULC are very similar. They've offered me discounts of 120k and 127.5k. The COA would be: NU 175k and GULC 180K.

I have lived in DC in the past (I know I could be very happy there). My primary interests are voting rights and congressional redistricting, so DC offers offers obvious advantages. I certainly imagine spending my summers at one of a couple of DC firms doing this work.

I loved NU when I visited and like the smallish class size. It's also the best school into which I've been accepted (see prestige whore explanation above).

The disadvantage to both is that it would mean moving my family for at least three years, and likely more. My wife's mother, sister and most of her friends are here in Colorado. We've got a great network and community of support to help her with our newborn. This brings me to the third option. CU Boulder has offered me a full tuition discount meaning that the total COA would be about 85K. The school is ranked 36th so while it's not T14/13 it is still in Tier 1. The faculty have been absolutely great in wooing me and I have a great deal of confidence that they'll offer a lot support. Their DC placement is obviously nothing compared to either of the other schools, but I can depend on recommendations from folks such as U.S. senators.

Which is crazier? Staying local and going with the school that's half the price or asking my wife to move across the country with a toddler to a city in which she has no friends?
Congrats on your cycle. Keep in mind that this is a lifelong investment. If you want to start your post-law school career in the West/Colorado (and b/c of family considerations) CU Boulder isn't unreasonable. If you're pretty set on the goals you've mentioned, and if you don't want to limit any opportunities, keep in mind the gulf between GULC/NU and CU Boulder are pretty massive. Getting to where you want from CU Boulder (vs your 2 other options) is going to be much more difficult. If I were in your shoes, the gulf between G/N and CU, the cost difference (not insane), and your interests would lead me to choose GULC or NU. Both are well respected, and if you want to end up in DC/know what you'd be very happy there with your family, GULC might be the better fit.

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:16 pm

I think that there are two things you are balancing if I am right - the cost of moving your family, and the potential cost to your career. Think of your ideal job - is it in Chicago? Dallas? DC? San Diego? Or is it in Denver or Boulder? If it is in Colorado, then the local option makes perfect sense. If it's not, then you have to start looking elsewhere. The cost of moving your family well... that's something to talk to them about.

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:37 pm

Keep it coming. This is why this thread is my TLS home. To answer a few questions...

What's the ideal job? It's a highly unlikely unicorn scenario. I'd like to spend a couple of years at one of the big DC democratic leaning firms and eventually work remotely from CO. Unlikely, I know. Plan B would be working at one of a handful of local firms doing a mix of public interest/political work. The other scenario we'd consider would be moving to California where my family lives, but that's unlikely at this point in our lives.

If I were 23 I'd have deposited at NU and I'd be looking for a place to park my refrigerator box/grad student housing along the lake (I'd move it away from the water during winter, but it's going to be warm for a few more months). That said, I sure AF am not 23 and my wife's mental health (while raising a kid) is pretty important.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 pm

TripleM wrote:Keep it coming. This is why this thread is my TLS home. To answer a few questions...

What's the ideal job? It's a highly unlikely unicorn scenario. I'd like to spend a couple of years at one of the big DC democratic leaning firms and eventually work remotely from CO. Unlikely, I know. Plan B would be working at one of a handful of local firms doing a mix of public interest/political work. The other scenario we'd consider would be moving to California where my family lives, but that's unlikely at this point in our lives.

If I were 23 I'd have deposited at NU and I'd be looking for a place to park my refrigerator box/grad student housing along the lake (I'd move it away from the water during winter, but it's going to be warm for a few more months). That said, I sure AF am not 23 and my wife's mental health (while raising a kid) is pretty important.
Sounds like you definitely want to work in CO? If that's a goal for you, then with CU Boulder you can (1) reach that career goal, (2) not uproot your family, and (3) COA is 100K cheaper

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:21 pm

hammy393 wrote:
TripleM wrote:Keep it coming. This is why this thread is my TLS home. To answer a few questions...

Sounds like you definitely want to work in CO? If that's a goal for you, then with CU Boulder you can (1) reach that career goal, (2) not uproot your family, and (3) COA is 100K cheaper
But if you want to work in D.C. at all, I'd say Georgetown then live in a city outside of D.C. (Virginia or Maryland suburb) & commute. This makes sense to me for multiple reasons: -) if you want to work in D.C. post-grad, you don't have to uproot again for at least five years 2) Virginia has some really solid school systems (Prince William county for example) 3) idk if you're interested in diversity, but D.C./Virginia is great from that standpoint in a way that idk Colorado will ever be.

If you want to live and work in Colorado forever, perhaps boulder is okay... really just depends on your career aspirations.

Mjvance2

New

Post by Mjvance2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:24 pm

Fellow applicant who is also married with kid(s). Live in Houston, wanted to stay in TX. You've got a tough decision ahead of you. Like you, I wanted to go to a great school, keep my family close/intact, and keep my costs down. I ultimately got accepted to three schools I was deciding between: University of Houston, UT Austin, and UVA. I ultimately chose UT. Now it's requiring me to spend my first year a few hours away from my family. (My wife wanted to stay in Houston with her family/support system since we have a 2nd child due in August.)

Now Houston was a decent school and it wouldn't require us to move or be separated, but I actually got more money to attend UT and you can't beat the UT name in Texas. UVA was my dream school, but I didn't get any money so I couldn't reconcile $180k in just tuition.

With your options, I would determine what is most important. If it's money (and you could see yourself working in CO, I would consider that). If you're not that concerned about money, I would go with NU. Although you're currently in DC, It seems like you're not tied down to any one location, so that's why I give NU the nod over GULC. Plus its your dream school. It's a great feeling getting into (and hopefully in your case attending) your dream school.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:18 am

Boulder for family support and wife's mental well-being

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:00 am

Have you sat down with your wife and talked about this as well?

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:Have you sat down with your wife and talked about this as well?
Thanks again for all of the thoughtful responses. Yes, we've talked. We're visiting Chicago this week in large part to see if she can imagine herself there. I believe that in the end, she'll tell me that we can go to whichever school I'd like... she's awesome like that. There is still the reality that it could be very stressful. We've dealt with moves before and the changes have sometimes triggered depression. She's always recovered, but that's a tough thing ask of her. It's one thing to support something in theory, another thing to actually live it.

We're going to fly in tomorrow. Holla if anyone lives near there and wants to meet up with my fam while we're in Chicago. We're looking to get as much as we can from the experience. The more fun she has, the better the odds we'll end up at NU.

chasima

Bronze

Post by chasima » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:15 pm

TripleM wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:Have you sat down with your wife and talked about this as well?
Thanks again for all of the thoughtful responses. Yes, we've talked. We're visiting Chicago this week in large part to see if she can imagine herself there. I believe that in the end, she'll tell me that we can go to whichever school I'd like... she's awesome like that. There is still the reality that it could be very stressful. We've dealt with moves before and the changes have sometimes triggered depression. She's always recovered, but that's a tough thing ask of her. It's one thing to support something in theory, another thing to actually live it.

We're going to fly in tomorrow. Holla if anyone lives near there and wants to meet up with my fam while we're in Chicago. We're looking to get as much as we can from the experience. The more fun she has, the better the odds we'll end up at NU.
I don't have any advice outside of what's already been said, but I genuinely wish you the best of luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”