URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
poptart123

Silver

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by poptart123 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:21 pm

USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:What is SEO? I've seen this post a few times and wondered, but I can bare not knowing any longer.
It's a 0L big law internship during the summer before you enroll in law school. Pretty cool

http://www.seocareer.org/law/about/
Wow, definitely applying to this. I'm glad I asked. Thank you!!

USayinBoalt

Gold

Post by USayinBoalt » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:28 pm

poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:What is SEO? I've seen this post a few times and wondered, but I can bare not knowing any longer.
It's a 0L big law internship during the summer before you enroll in law school. Pretty cool

No problem. Good luck! There are great resources in this forum that will help you with the application and interview process

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:13 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:Any one planning on applying to SEO? Any tips that anyone has heard about?
What is SEO? I've seen this post a few times and wondered, but I can bare not knowing any longer.
URMs who are entering their first year intern/work at a top law firm, usually in either NYC, DC, LA, SF, (Chicago I think). Its generally considered the best thing a URM can do. Many SEO internships lead to summer associateships and then job offers and provide connections with the URM community.
Does anyone know if people that don't have any corporate/business experience prior to applying have difficulty getting selected? Was a PSYC major in college, didn't take BUSI/ECON classes.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:19 pm

USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:

No problem. Good luck! There are great resources in this forum that will help you with the application and interview process
When do people generally submit their applications for this? I made an account and poking around I only really see business/accounting/finance stuff on the account page under "Contact & Partners"--nothing law related. I'm wondering if the application for law isn't up yet? I don't know.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:21 pm

poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:

When do people generally submit their applications for this? I made an account and poking around I only really see business/accounting/finance stuff on the account page under "Contact & Partners"--nothing law related. I'm wondering if the application for law isn't up yet? I don't know.
It is. I started it awhile ago...... Let me go find it.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:22 pm

brinicolec wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:

http://www.seocareer.org/law/apply/

Click the purple box at the top of the page, then it'll redirect you to another page.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:24 pm

brinicolec wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:

http://www.seocareer.org/law/apply/

Click the purple box at the top of the page, then it'll redirect you to another page.
Yeah, that's the one I went to, but the account doesn't show anything law related. I definitely put law as my interests and clicked the link that you provided. It's like all finance/accounting stuff under Partner Contact & Interest section.

There is no "Law Info" section on my profile like stated in that link. I will probably just shoot them an email.

USayinBoalt

Gold

Post by USayinBoalt » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:42 pm

poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:

Generally, people apply for this at the same time that they apply to law school since they ask for most of the same stuff. Based on what I've read, interviews begin in Feb. (or around then) and decisions are made in late April to early May with the program beginning in late May. The app might not be up but it should be soon

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:55 pm

USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:

Generally, people apply for this at the same time that they apply to law school since they ask for most of the same stuff. Based on what I've read, interviews begin in Feb. (or around then) and decisions are made in late April to early May with the program beginning in late May. The app might not be up but it should be soon
For anyone reading this in the future, I found my answer:

"So that's the initial application, if I remember correctly. I remember listing only law as my area of interest and when I logged in a day or two later, I had LSAT and Law School info fields waiting to be populated where I uploaded my PS and put in the schools I had applied to etc. Hope this helps."

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... n&start=50

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:40 pm

poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:

"So that's the initial application, if I remember correctly. I remember listing only law as my area of interest and when I logged in a day or two later, I had LSAT and Law School info fields waiting to be populated where I uploaded my PS and put in the schools I had applied to etc. Hope this helps."

I was wondering the same thing. It felt like I was just feeling out a general application for SEO. Will be looking forward to the other components appearing.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:45 pm

beantheshadow wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:
poptart123 wrote: When do people generally submit their applications for this? I made an account and poking around I only really see business/accounting/finance stuff on the account page under "Contact & Partners"--nothing law related. I'm wondering if the application for law isn't up yet? I don't know.

I was wondering the same thing. It felt like I was just feeling out a general application for SEO. Will be looking forward to the other components appearing.
I was definitely, genuinely confused. I will post on here when my other components appear so that anybody wondering can see.

jlet0314

New

Post by jlet0314 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Rdit
Last edited by jlet0314 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

USayinBoalt

Gold

Post by USayinBoalt » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:14 pm

jlet0314 wrote:Checking in. Biracial AA applicant, struggling with writing a good DS. As a 164-168 LSAT, 3.7-3.76 gpa, will it really impact my admission chances if I skip out on a mediocre at best DS??
If it's not gonna add anything to your app then you don't necessarily have to add one.

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:30 pm

jlet0314 wrote:Checking in. Biracial AA applicant, struggling with writing a good DS. As a 164-168 LSAT, 3.7-3.76 gpa, will it really impact my admission chances if I skip out on a mediocre at best DS??
If you can fit diverse aspects into your personal statement that helps. But I would try to give some thoughts into anything that could be diverse, and really focus on writing one.

latif

New

Post by latif » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:00 pm

Checking in, afro-canadian, 3.84GPA, currently doing an MA in Canada, taking the December LSAT,

USayinBoalt

Gold

Post by USayinBoalt » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:11 pm

latif wrote:Checking in, afro-canadian, 3.84GPA, currently doing an MA in Canada, taking the December LSAT,
Welcome to the community :D

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:20 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USayinBoalt

Gold

Post by USayinBoalt » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:52 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:Any one planning on applying to SEO? Any tips that anyone has heard about?
What is SEO? I've seen this post a few times and wondered, but I can bare not knowing any longer.
URMs who are entering their first year intern/work at a top law firm, usually in either NYC, DC, LA, SF, (Chicago I think). Its generally considered the best thing a URM can do. Many SEO internships lead to summer associateships and then job offers and provide connections with the URM community.
Does anyone know if people that don't have any corporate/business experience prior to applying have difficulty getting selected? Was a PSYC major in college, didn't take BUSI/ECON classes.
Wondering the same thing. :shock:
corporate/business experience doesn't matter at all. The whole purpose of the program is to provide you with some experience in the corporate/business setting. They are somewhat prestige whores in terms of what school you are going to attend. Seems like most of the students that are accepted are attending a t-14

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:35 am

Submitted 16 apps all T-14 except Yale. Feeling nervous need to start working on the 250 essay.

Any tips, pointers? Yale sent me a nice packet with several 250 essays and PS but I think my girlfriend accident my threw it away! :(

USayinBoalt

Gold

Post by USayinBoalt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:45 am

beantheshadow wrote:Submitted 16 apps all T-14 except Yale. Feeling nervous need to start working on the 250 essay.

Any tips, pointers? Yale sent me a nice packet with several 250 essays and PS but I think my girlfriend accident my threw it away! :(
Here are a couple of examples that you can look at: http://www.top-law-schools.com/appendixc.html

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:22 pm

Is there a thread dedicated to interviews? Received my interview contact for Northwestern, I'm sure it varies from interviewer to interviewer but I wonder if there is general questions they're going to ask me. Super nervous!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:42 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Is there a thread dedicated to interviews? Received my interview contact for Northwestern, I'm sure it varies from interviewer to interviewer but I wonder if there is general questions they're going to ask me. Super nervous!
I'm not sure if there's a thread solely dedicated to interviews but I do know that within individual school threads (current or past), you may be able to find some info about the interviews.

azaleafire

Bronze

Post by azaleafire » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:48 pm

Saying hi. Relatively last-minute(ish) AA applicant (3.5-3.6, 170), coming to mostly complain - why on EARTH isn't the law school application like the common app? Seriously? Having to check these boxes for every single dang school only to have something ~slightly~ different change on them is so. Freaking. Annoying.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:46 am

Got this from SEO today.

"The SEO Law application is currently being updated. You should be receiving an email later this week asking to complete the full SEO Law application.

Best,
SEO Career Staff"

onlyhere4fun

New

Post by onlyhere4fun » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Last edited by onlyhere4fun on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”