URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
poptart123

Silver

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by poptart123 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:24 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:So my brother's boss has a sister who is a partner at a big firm. She told him that she wants to be my mentor. :shock:
Ayee, work those connects!
Crazy how it happened lol.
That's awesome!!
I have her card, I'm wondering if I text her or call her today lol.
Definitely call. Explain your connection and say that you are very excited to meet her. Maybe suggest getting together for coffee sometime before the school year starts.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Wed May 10, 2017 11:41 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:So my brother's boss has a sister who is a partner at a big firm. She told him that she wants to be my mentor. :shock:
That's awesome!!
Don't text her. She is a professional contact you haven't even met yet. Email >>> phone call >>>>>>> text

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:44 am

Yeah, I picked out of the binary choices you were considering. I would start with an email to ease into the relationship. Also not sure how busy she is at the moment and you want her to respond at her leisure instead her possibly interrupting her busy schedule.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:50 am

texcellence wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:
That's awesome!!
Don't text her. She is a professional contact you haven't even met yet. Email >>> phone call >>>>>>> text
Email is always the best option, of course. From the female attorneys I've talked to, they've all been pretty friendly and okay with how I reached out to them (..which was admittedly through e-mail to establish what days/times were convenient for them to either chat on the phone or meet up in person). If this is someone who wants to be a mentor, she's not going to care that Mr. Chukes calls vs e-mails unless they play phone tag trying to meet up with or call back one another. But that's what voicemail is for.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:05 pm

renc56 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:
That's awesome!!
Email is always the best option, of course. From the female attorneys I've talked to, they've all been pretty friendly and okay with how I reached out to them (..which was admittedly through e-mail to establish what days/times were convenient for them to either chat on the phone or meet up in person). If this is someone who wants to be a mentor, she's not going to care that Mr. Chukes calls vs e-mails unless they play phone tag trying to meet up with or call back one another. But that's what voicemail is for.
What would you guys regiment I do for a mentor who I've met once and we agreed we'd meet up again afterwards, but I've sent him 2 emails and he hasn't replied yet. It's been about 1 week. I don't want to seem too pushy.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Wed May 10, 2017 12:11 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
What would you guys regiment I do for a mentor who I've met once and we agreed we'd meet up again afterwards, but I've sent him 2 emails and he hasn't replied yet. It's been about 1 week. I don't want to seem too pushy.
2 emails in one week? Give him more time. Honestly if someone has a crazy job, I give them like...a month to follow up unless it's time-sensitive for some reason. I think 2 weeks is a reasonable wait for a response.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:14 pm

texcellence wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
2 emails in one week? Give him more time. Honestly if someone has a crazy job, I give them like...a month to follow up unless it's time-sensitive for some reason. I think 2 weeks is a reasonable wait for a response.
+10

Also if he doesn't respond in 2 weeks, don't take it personally and/or as a sign that he doesn't want anything to do with you. People get busy with whatever and sometimes think they've responded to an e-mail when they haven't.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:25 pm

renc56 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
+10

Also if he doesn't respond in 2 weeks, don't take it personally and/or as a sign that he doesn't want anything to do with you. People get busy with whatever and sometimes think they've responded to an e-mail when they haven't.

You guys are right. I will wait and see what happens and email again after 4 weeks. Thank you!!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:29 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
renc56 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
+10

You guys are right. I will wait and see what happens and email again after 4 weeks. Thank you!!
not sure how helpful this will be but I think it's a bit premature to call someone your mentor if you've only met up once unless you're in a formal mentoring program. I would definitely reach out to other attorneys in areas you could be interested in and just test the waters to see which attorneys you click with more and who may be better able to help you in some way (e.g. they have the time, have something non-professional in common with you).

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 pm

renc56 wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
renc56 wrote:
texcellence wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
+10

not sure how helpful this will be but I think it's a bit premature to call someone your mentor if you've only met up once unless you're in a formal mentoring program. I would definitely reach out to other attorneys in areas you could be interested in and just test the waters to see which attorneys you click with more and who may be better able to help you in some way (e.g. they have the time, have something non-professional in common with you).
I definetly agree but the individual himself mentioned that he would be interested in mentoring me and for us to stay in touch, so it's not a conclusion I jumped to prematurely. But your right that it might not hurt to reach out to other attorneys and see what comes out of it . Thanks!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed May 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't want to mess this up. I thought about calling but idk how her schedule is lol. So I think emailing might be the best.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I don't want to mess this up. I thought about calling but idk how her schedule is lol. So I think emailing might be the best.
definitely email. and in the email say you are open to a phone call if her schedule permits

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed May 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Lol - being on the WL is like being the kid who constantly gets picked last for any athletic/team activity in elementary school.

I was never in that situation growing up, so I have a lot more empathy for people such kids. lol. This feeling of inferiority is no joke lmao :P

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu May 11, 2017 10:21 am

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:Lol - being on the WL is like being the kid who constantly gets picked last for any athletic/team activity in elementary school.

I was never in that situation growing up, so I have a lot more empathy for people such kids. lol. This feeling of inferiority is no joke lmao :P
Good luck, I hope you're one of the ones picked.

suitsandpotions

New

Post by suitsandpotions » Thu May 11, 2017 11:46 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I don't want to mess this up. I thought about calling but idk how her schedule is lol. So I think emailing might be the best.

Do you have her assistant's contact info? It might be smart to email her and ask for her assistant's contact. You can basically just say I know you're really busy and I'm looking forward to speaking to you so I wanted to reach out your assistant to try to get something on your calendar.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Guys do you recommend a second attempt for scholarship negotiation. I could of swore I saw some ppl doing so on some of the school threads.

Motion22Step

New

Post by Motion22Step » Thu May 11, 2017 3:52 pm

rwajo12 wrote:Guys do you recommend a second attempt for scholarship negotiation. I could of swore I saw some ppl doing so on some of the school threads.
Yes! I'm in the process of re-asking now. Don't know your exact situation, but I think that in most cases, there's not a lot to lose, and a lot to gain :)

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Motion22Step wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:Guys do you recommend a second attempt for scholarship negotiation. I could of swore I saw some ppl doing so on some of the school threads.
Yes! I'm in the process of re-asking now. Don't know your exact situation, but I think that in most cases, there's not a lot to lose, and a lot to gain :)
How do I go about it differently without coming off rude.

Motion22Step

New

Post by Motion22Step » Thu May 11, 2017 5:39 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
Motion22Step wrote:
PM'd you!

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Motion22Step wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
Motion22Step wrote:
PM'd you!
Thanks!

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Tue May 16, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm now SERIOUSLY considering a retake now. I think im gonna withdraw my applications.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:I'm now SERIOUSLY considering a retake now. I think im gonna withdraw my applications.
if you think you can do better on the LSAT, I recommend it !

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:59 am

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:I'm now SERIOUSLY considering a retake now. I think im gonna withdraw my applications.
What's prompting this?

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed May 17, 2017 9:24 am

sfn91 wrote:
What's prompting this?
LSAC threw away their 3 retakes rule yesterday.
On my last LSAT, I literally had 2 hours of sleep due to my flight being canceled and delayed from out the country.
I actually came to my testing center 30 minutes late, and at first they didnt want to let me in. I had a horrible 1st section (RC -8) and i missed only 10 after that. usually miss -5/-4, so i know i could do better, but i would have had to wait till december - another late application.

now September is open.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed May 17, 2017 11:25 am

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
sfn91 wrote:
What's prompting this?
LSAC threw away their 3 retakes rule yesterday.
On my last LSAT, I literally had 2 hours of sleep due to my flight being canceled and delayed from out the country.
I actually came to my testing center 30 minutes late, and at first they didnt want to let me in. I had a horrible 1st section (RC -8) and i missed only 10 after that. usually miss -5/-4, so i know i could do better, but i would have had to wait till december - another late application.

now September is open.
Wait, when you say they threw it away, do you mean ppl can take the LSAT as many times as they want now?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”