URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lgsb2014

New

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by lgsb2014 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi Everyone :)
I'm a first generation, MA hoping to get into a t-14, preferably in Cali, my home state. Taking the test in September, freaking out since I want a mid 160s LSAT score and I'm barely at 150. Many of my missed questions are coming from LG and LR, especially LG. I do have two years post-grad work experience with an attorney. I hope we have a great cycle!

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:55 pm

lgsb2014 wrote:Hi Everyone :)
I'm a first generation, MA hoping to get into a t-14, preferably in Cali, my home state. Taking the test in September, freaking out since I want a mid 160s LSAT score and I'm barely at 150. Many of my missed questions are coming from LG and LR, especially LG. I do have two years post-grad work experience with an attorney. I hope we have a great cycle!
Same exact situation as you last August, I decided to postpone until December. Best Decision I ever made. You can get a high 160s, especially if you perfect LG. Good luck!

lgsb2014

New

Post by lgsb2014 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:10 am

beantheshadow wrote:
Same exact situation as you last August, I decided to postpone until December. Best Decision I ever made. You can get a high 160s, especially if you perfect LG. Good luck!

How were you able to improve your accuracy?

Lawson

New

Post by Lawson » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:19 pm

AA male checking in!

Hoping for Yale with 175 LSAT and 3.74 GPA combo. If anyone has any advice for an applicant targeting Yale specifically, that would be appreciated.
Last edited by Lawson on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jelufowoju

New

Post by jelufowoju » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Lawson wrote:AA male checking in!

Hoping for Yale with 175 LSAT and 3.74 GPA combo. If anyone has any advice for an applicant targeting Yale specifically, that would be appreciated.
Yale is also my top choice, perhaps we can swap 250's once we're both finished?

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:04 am

Do you guys have any tips for tackling grouping games in the logic bible? I struggle with inferences primarily because of the wording. Does it just become easier over time or is there a way to start improving now?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:29 am

PrezRand wrote:Do you guys have any tips for tackling grouping games in the logic bible? I struggle with inferences primarily because of the wording. Does it just become easier over time or is there a way to start improving now?

Unfortunately, I didn't find the LG Bible nearly as helpful for grouping games as I did ordering games. For ordering games, the only thing that really clicked for me was 7Sage and Manhattan LSAT to some extent. Just watching the free YouTube videos on the grouping games helped me a ton before I signed up for the course.

Either way, it does get easier over time. The thing is with grouping games, the secret is to stay flexible. There is no one way to diagram them like there are ordering/sequencing games. That is why I think it is helpful to experiment with different approaches. So long as your conditional logic is on point, you will have them down in no time.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinkDaffodil

New

Post by PinkDaffodil » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:12 am

Is anyone planning on doing a December retake? I am sure I may have to but I'm afraid this will put me at a huge disadvantage competitively.

Lawson

New

Post by Lawson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:56 am

jelufowoju wrote:

I know that there is a personal statement, but how do you know what the Yale application (or any law school application) entails given that none of the apps have been released yet?

This is a general question that I'm curious about, so anyone can answer it.

xnsch

Bronze

Post by xnsch » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:59 am

Lawson wrote:
jelufowoju wrote:

I know that there is a personal statement, but how do you know what the Yale application (or any law school application) entails given that none of the apps have been released yet?

Apps dont change much year to year and Yale has famously had the 250 word essay forever

jelufowoju

New

Post by jelufowoju » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:02 am

Lawson wrote:
jelufowoju wrote:

Every year as part of the application process Yale Law requires applicants to write a 250 word essay regarding any subject you want. That's the essay I was referring to. I have several friends that are currently in law school, some of whom are at Yale and I saw all of them undergo the arduous application process. During my senior year I also worked at Harvard Law School, I was a student at the college and learned quite a bit about the admissions process, it never changes.

Lawson

New

Post by Lawson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:32 am

jelufowoju wrote:
Lawson wrote:
jelufowoju wrote:

Every year as part of the application process Yale Law requires applicants to write a 250 word essay regarding any subject you want. That's the essay I was referring to. I have several friends that are currently in law school, some of whom are at Yale and I saw all of them undergo the arduous application process. During my senior year I also worked at Harvard Law School, I was a student at the college and learned quite a bit about the admissions process, it never changes.
Gotcha. I did a little digging on the forums and found this:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=79616

Is anyone familiar with anything more recent/accurate that can serve as a rough guide for what is to be expected with optional essays at the T6?
And I appreciate the offer jelufowoju, but I am somewhat paranoid about swapping essays with someone of a similar background (at least racial) applying in the same cycle. Hopefully, that reasoning does not sound too stupid to you.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:55 pm

lgsb2014 wrote:
beantheshadow wrote:

How were you able to improve your accuracy?

Repetition and review. With an emphasis on review. Do a set of games timed, then before checking your answers do the whole set again untimed (any trouble questions just go through all the possibilities and you'll eventually get the right answer). The biggest thing for LR and LG is to predict answers. It might feel hard in LR at first especially for certain questions types but just have some sort of abstract prediction of what you feel like the answers going to be. That doesn't mean if you don't find your prediction its not a good prediction, because for certain questions types there's several ways to get to the correct answer. Be skeptical of all answers choices (always remember 4 out of the 5 are WRONG!).

jelufowoju

New

Post by jelufowoju » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:30 pm

Lawson wrote:
jelufowoju wrote:
Lawson wrote:
jelufowoju wrote:

Gotcha. I did a little digging on the forums and found this:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=79616

Is anyone familiar with anything more recent/accurate that can serve as a rough guide for what is to be expected with optional essays at the T6?
And I appreciate the offer jelufowoju, but I am somewhat paranoid about swapping essays with someone of a similar background (at least racial) applying in the same cycle. Hopefully, that reasoning does not sound too stupid to you.

I completely understand bro. Good luck with your applications, who knows, we may both end up at Yale and run into each other haha.

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlackJD » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Woohoo! Good luck to everyone!

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm seeing on other threads that duke sent PT invites today. Any URMs get the invite and if so, what was your LSAT?

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:18 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:I'm seeing on other threads that duke sent PT invites today. Any URMs get the invite and if so, what was your LSAT?
I did. And my profiles got my numbers. But 170

jelufowoju

New

Post by jelufowoju » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:33 pm

20171lhopeful wrote:I'm seeing on other threads that duke sent PT invites today. Any URMs get the invite and if so, what was your LSAT?
I did, black male, 177.

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Yeah, I got one today. LSAT: 162

EDIT: AA Female

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Post by Baby Gaga » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:34 pm

I got one, LSAT > 75%

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:54 am

Hey guys! I know we already have a fee waiver thread going somewhere else, but among us URMs, I just wanted to know some of the places that you guys got fee waivers?

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Post by Baby Gaga » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:54 am

caitlinrw wrote:Hey guys! I know we already have a fee waiver thread going somewhere else, but among us URMs, I just wanted to know some of the places that you guys got fee waivers?
I got GULC, UCLA, WUSTL, Duke (with PT), and a Mich hidden waiver. I didn't start soliciting yet

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:33 pm

caitlinrw wrote:Hey guys! I know we already have a fee waiver thread going somewhere else, but among us URMs, I just wanted to know some of the places that you guys got fee waivers?
Duke, Georgetown, Michigan (hidden), UVA, WUSTL (and Miami lol). Like the person above me, I haven't solicited for fee waivers at all yet.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:30 pm

So I received several unsolicited fee waivers for last cycle, my intention was always to apply early this cycle. Are those fee waivers still good? Or should I shoot the schools an email?

caitlinrw

Bronze

Post by caitlinrw » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:47 pm

beantheshadow wrote:So I received several unsolicited fee waivers for last cycle, my intention was always to apply early this cycle. Are those fee waivers still good? Or should I shoot the schools an email?
I've seen in some of the other threads that some of them had to email again, because they expired. Shooting them an email never hurts. Most of them respond within 24 hours and are really cool about it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”