URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
renc56

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by renc56 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:19 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:Do you guys think there is any benefit in starting to read the course books beforehand to get familiar with the material. I am really with my low Lsat score that I'm not as prepared as everyone else, and want to do whatever is necessary to get those grades! Any help is appreciated! :))

Not sure if anyone answered this question for you already but my friend from HLS said not to do this. He said that it's good to come to law school with a fresh mind and that it may do more harm than good if your burn yourself out during the few months when you still have a little bit of freedom to enjoy your life.
Great, thanks for the response! So I'm assuming those pre law summer programs by the law schools are not significantly helpful?
General consensus of those pre-law programs: don't do it

even though they keep sending multiple e-mails with pretty pictures and promises of success

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:25 pm

renc56 wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:Do you guys think there is any benefit in starting to read the course books beforehand to get familiar with the material. I am really with my low Lsat score that I'm not as prepared as everyone else, and want to do whatever is necessary to get those grades! Any help is appreciated! :))

Not sure if anyone answered this question for you already but my friend from HLS said not to do this. He said that it's good to come to law school with a fresh mind and that it may do more harm than good if your burn yourself out during the few months when you still have a little bit of freedom to enjoy your life.
Great, thanks for the response! So I'm assuming those pre law summer programs by the law schools are not significantly helpful?

even though they keep sending multiple e-mails with pretty pictures and promises of success
Ok glad to have dogged that bullet. Thanks! They included stats that sounded very promising, and it was sent from the school itself

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:52 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
renc56 wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:

Ok glad to have dogged that bullet. Thanks! They included stats that sounded very promising, and it was sent from the school itself
I've gotten several and from my school so I thought it might be a good idea but it's not. You can look through 0L guides that are helpful for what you should do this summer to prepare (the general consensus is to relax)

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Fri May 05, 2017 4:15 pm

Last edited by chewinggum on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

suitsandpotions

New

Post by suitsandpotions » Fri May 05, 2017 4:53 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:

Don't do it. Barbri loves to send those stupid emails where they say "of all respondents reporting" when speaking about the high number of satisfied students but in reality happy clients are probably more likely to respond to their stupid surveys anyway. From what I've been told a lot of these programs won't prepare you enough and aren't worth the money. You're better off saving that money to buy your books or plane ticket if you're moving to go to law school lol. If you're really interested in doing it then apply to their minority scholarship and try to take the prep class for free.

Motion22Step

New

Post by Motion22Step » Fri May 05, 2017 5:36 pm

chewinggum wrote:Starbucks frapps are half off from 3-6!

Someone asked why they aren't calling it #FrappyHour and Starbucks responded "Cuz, lawyers"

Happy Friday!
Thanks for the heads up!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sat May 06, 2017 2:14 am

Got that job. I'm so happy I put my two week in at work. I dreamed about this say for years.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Sun May 07, 2017 11:09 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:Got that job. I'm so happy I put my two week in at work. I dreamed about this say for years.
What job?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun May 07, 2017 11:18 am

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:Got that job. I'm so happy I put my two week in at work. I dreamed about this say for years.
What job?
P.O. I applied more than a year ago but background takes forever lol.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Sun May 07, 2017 11:43 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
What job?
police officer? or probation officer

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun May 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
What job?
Probation working with juveniles. I would never be a cop lol.

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Sun May 07, 2017 5:51 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
What job?
I said it before. Be that PO. Be the one who lets everything slide. Seriously aim to be the least strict PO ever. Be like that substitute teacher everyone wanted to see. You know, the one where you knew, "Yeah, that lesson plan ain't going to happen and we're not getting homework."

KillaKam92

New

Post by KillaKam92 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:40 pm

TripleM wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
What job?
I said it before. Be that PO. Be the one who lets everything slide. Seriously aim to be the least strict PO ever. Be like that substitute teacher everyone wanted to see. You know, the one where you knew, "Yeah, that lesson plan ain't going to happen and we're not getting homework."
I am actually that substitute teacher LOL. I've seen kids exchange hi-fives upon learning I was in charge of their class for the day

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Mon May 08, 2017 3:45 pm

suitsandpotions wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:

Don't do it. Barbri loves to send those stupid emails where they say "of all respondents reporting" when speaking about the high number of satisfied students but in reality happy clients are probably more likely to respond to their stupid surveys anyway. From what I've been told a lot of these programs won't prepare you enough and aren't worth the money. You're better off saving that money to buy your books or plane ticket if you're moving to go to law school lol. If you're really interested in doing it then apply to their minority scholarship and try to take the prep class for free.
What if you get a scholarship covering all of the fees for one of these programs?

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:54 pm

rizzlebizness wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:

What if you get a scholarship covering all of the fees for one of these programs?
If you have the time then maybe do it. It is only one week after all. Only problem is, I've heard some ppl come out of them feeling unprepared even more than before. So at your risk. The overall consesus seems to be, that taking it easy before is the best way to prepare.at this point you know what study methods work best for you and which do not.

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Post by rizzlebizness » Mon May 08, 2017 3:57 pm

rwajo12 wrote:
rizzlebizness wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:

If you have the time then maybe do it. It is only one week after all. Only problem is, I've heard some ppl come out of them feeling unprepared even more than before. So at your risk. The overall consesus seems to be, that taking it easy before is the best way to prepare.at this point you know what study methods work best for you and which do not.
What about, instead of participating in one of these programs, reading some of the suggested pre-1L books e.g. "Open Book: The Inside Track to Law School Success (Academic Success)"?

suitsandpotions

New

Post by suitsandpotions » Mon May 08, 2017 4:47 pm

rizzlebizness wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:

It might be worth it if it's free but just hope that they don't end up teaching you bad habits. Do your research on the program first.

rwajo12

New

Post by rwajo12 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:05 pm

rizzlebizness wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
rizzlebizness wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:
rwajo12 wrote:
suitsandpotions wrote:

What about, instead of participating in one of these programs, reading some of the suggested pre-1L books e.g. "Open Book: The Inside Track to Law School Success (Academic Success)"?
The consensus is pretty much the same on them. I have heard of some books that helped some ppl. Such as getting to maybe,

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Tue May 09, 2017 10:47 pm

So my brother's boss has a sister who is a partner at a big firm. She told him that she wants to be my mentor. :shock:

ThePoetKnowsIt

New

Post by ThePoetKnowsIt » Wed May 10, 2017 12:25 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:So my brother's boss has a sister who is a partner at a big firm. She told him that she wants to be my mentor. :shock:
Ayee, work those connects!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed May 10, 2017 12:42 am

ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:So my brother's boss has a sister who is a partner at a big firm. She told him that she wants to be my mentor. :shock:
Crazy how it happened lol.

ThePoetKnowsIt

New

Post by ThePoetKnowsIt » Wed May 10, 2017 2:21 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:
lol it's cool though, I need to starting looking for one

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:08 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:
That's awesome!!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed May 10, 2017 11:09 am

renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:
That's awesome!!
I have her card, I'm wondering if I text her or call her today lol.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:17 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:
renc56 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
ThePoetKnowsIt wrote:
That's awesome!!
I have her card, I'm wondering if I text her or call her today lol.
I mean, I feel like calling is more appropriate. You can text her in the future!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”