Marital status?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
beantheshadow

Bronze

Marital status??

Post by beantheshadow » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm engaged right now and do you guys know if it helps in regards to financial aid to be married? We're thinking about having a wedding next March, but if it'd help we could elope in Vegas next month and have a ceremony next year. Sorry for the random question lololol

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Re: Marital status??

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:39 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Hey everybody,

I'm engaged right now and do you guys know if it helps in regards to financial aid to be married? We're thinking about having a wedding next March, but if it'd help we could elope in Vegas next month and have a ceremony next year. Sorry for the random question lololol
I'm not sure, but I think it depends on if your spouse works or not. If they do, maybe it works against you because you'll have two incomes, but maybe it doesn't make a difference. I really doubt it helps. I'm married and it definitely hasn't helped me get additional financial aid.

heythatslife

Silver

Re: Marital status??

Post by heythatslife » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:52 pm

1. At most schools outside of HYS, need is unlikely to influence your financial aid significantly anyway.

2. If you're just married with no kids, it's more likely to work against you in financial aid calculations than for you. The only financial aid policy that I'm really familiar with is that of Harvard, but for HLS, if you're married, any income that your spouse produces above a certain threshold will count against your need-based aid. Even if your spouse is unemployed, HLS does not increase your aid to cover a two-person household because the expectation is that your spouse should be working - unless you have kids, in which case they understand that your spouse may need to be a full-time parent and will increase your budget accordingly. I suspect other institutions will probably have similar approaches.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”