AA Male 3.3 gpa 168 LSAT||Strong Softs, Early App, and GPA Addendum, t-14? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
StringerSoprano_6062

New

AA Male 3.3 gpa 168 LSAT||Strong Softs, Early App, and GPA Addendum, t-14?

Post by StringerSoprano_6062 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:51 pm

I am an AA male with a 3.3 GPA and a 168 LSAT. I am currently a senior at a tier I LAC (Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore etc). I am the president of the student body, the editor and chief of a legal journal on my campus, I was a legislative intern for a Senator this past summer, and I am the founder/president of a local non profit. My GPA is not as high as it could be because I had to miss about 5 weeks of my sophomore year due to personal/family circumstances--I wrote a GPA addendum to clarify this.

I have already been accepted to Duke via PT and was awarded a full scholarship at a local University in MD. I know that my GPA is low but I received 4 letters of recommendations, three from professors and one from a high ranking administrator of my college so I am hoping that they can shed light on my academic performance in their classes. I put together what I hope was a strong application and sent it out early--11/2. What do you think my chances are at the schools below? Thanks in advance for the advice

Harvard
Columbia
Yale
Stanford
NYU
UPenn
UVA
Berkley
Vanderbilt
UCLA
Georgetown

180kickflip

Bronze

Re: AA Male 3.3 gpa 168 LSAT||Strong Softs, Early App, and GPA Addendum, t-14?

Post by 180kickflip » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:01 pm

Last edited by 180kickflip on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

StringerSoprano_6062

New

Post by StringerSoprano_6062 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:16 am

180kickflip wrote:As an AA male with similar stats but worse softs, id say you're in most places. In at NYU, GULC, UVA. Likely but maybe only 60% at B and P...B cuz they seem to prefer high GPAs and only likely at P cuz they YP like crazy without a legit why penn. I'd say likely out at Columbia because the #s are still low for them, and almost a Hail Mary at HYS because of the low GPA and increasing applicants. I haven't seen anyone with your (essentially our) numbers get into HYS for a couple cycles and I'm sure a few had great softs.

Totally not saying you can't still snag one, but I'd rather give you low expectations that you end up happily surpassing than promising the world like the "black by the numbers" thread just to see you disappointed to fall short as a "HYS lock"

On a more positive note...I'm totally certain you'll get multiple six figure t14 scholarships to negotiate with, and that may be more valuable than the top acceptances anyway

In either case, it'd be great if you could add your (I'm sure to be amazing) acceptances to the cycle results thread (once it's up) so future cycle URM applicants have more data points to use =)
Thanks for the advice, Kickflip. Are you applying this cycle? When do you think we'll hear back from most places? I hear that URMs generally hear back later in the cycle than other applicants do

StringerSoprano_6062

New

Post by StringerSoprano_6062 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:41 am

Also any additional advice from TLSers would be amazing. Reading others' threads has been so helpful up until now. Getting your advice will help me survive what feels like an eternal wait for decisions from schools

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:25 pm

[quote="StringerSoprano_6062"][quote="180kickflip"]

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:08 am

StringerSoprano_6062 wrote:I am an AA male with a 3.3 GPA and a 168 LSAT. I am currently a senior at a tier I LAC (Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore etc). I am the president of the student body, the editor and chief of a legal journal on my campus, I was a legislative intern for a Senator this past summer, and I am the founder/president of a local non profit. My GPA is not as high as it could be because I had to miss about 5 weeks of my sophomore year due to personal/family circumstances--I wrote a GPA addendum to clarify this.

I have already been accepted to Duke via PT and was awarded a full scholarship at a local University in MD. I know that my GPA is low but I received 4 letters of recommendations, three from professors and one from a high ranking administrator of my college so I am hoping that they can shed light on my academic performance in their classes. I put together what I hope was a strong application and sent it out early--11/2. What do you think my chances are at the schools below? Thanks in advance for the advice

Harvard
Columbia
Yale
Stanford
NYU
UPenn
UVA
Berkley
Vanderbilt
UCLA
Georgetown

where did you end up?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:56 am

AaronCarter wrote: where did you end up?
OP is long gone but based on post history I'm gonna say Columbia.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”