LGBT Guys & Gals c/o 2018 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Ardent.

New

Re: LGBT Guys & Gals c/o 2018

Post by Ardent. » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Haaay checking in :]

I was also thinking of doing my diversity statement on my sexuality. I feel like almost everything about the Black Experience has been written about before, so I might as well discuss the other struggles I've had to deal with :\

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:08 pm

I think I'm just going to do my PS about LGBT stuff instead of having a separate DS

whitespider

Silver

Post by whitespider » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:21 pm

james.bungles wrote:I think I'm just going to do my PS about LGBT stuff instead of having a separate DS
Yeah, I'm starting to get a bit conflicted myself. I was originally going to use my PS to gun for public interest schollys and use my DS to explore coming out, but as I research more PI schollys it seems that a lot of them require a separate 2-page essay.

So if I don't cover me PI past in my personal statement, then what do I talk about? Plus, it seems kind of excessive to submit a PS, a DS, and a PI statement.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:04 pm

whitespider wrote:
james.bungles wrote:I think I'm just going to do my PS about LGBT stuff instead of having a separate DS
Yeah, I'm starting to get a bit conflicted myself. I was originally going to use my PS to gun for public interest schollys and use my DS to explore coming out, but as I research more PI schollys it seems that a lot of them require a separate 2-page essay.

So if I don't cover me PI past in my personal statement, then what do I talk about? Plus, it seems kind of excessive to submit a PS, a DS, and a PI statement.
Here's the way I view it, if you write about your diversity for your PS then what else will you write about for a DS? Is there nothing that you can use that makes you diverse other than just your sexuality? If so, then go for it, if not then you should probably critically reevaluate yourself for the purpose of diversity.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Dirigo wrote: Intriguing.
Despite being 22, my 6'5" status typically adds a few years to things. Couple that with my disdain for shaving and voila I look like I'm middle aged.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm

apparently schools get too many diversity statements, better to simplify it

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:05 pm

Well if that's the case then I'd imagine you shouldn't write a PS about your diversity either unless it is a primary reason for wanting to practice the law. A DS can't hurt unless you're terrible at writing and editing, so there's no reason not to include one if you have legitimate diversity.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:21 pm

PS's shouldnt be explicitely about why you want to practice tho

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:57 pm

No, but if you can relate it back to that its once again not viewed as a bad thing. You're still not making any rational argument for why to not include a DS. An adcomm isn't going to look at someone and say "oh, they're diverse, well better not admit them." At worst they'll neglect to consider it, at best it provides a boost. There is absolutely no reason not to include one.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:23 pm

im saying theyd rather have one good PS instead of a meh PS and a good DS. So if you have a lot of LGBT related stuff its probably better to roll that into a PS instead of assuming you have to write a DS

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:51 pm

I was originally intending to have a separate diversity statement, but LGBT stuff ended up forming a lot of my PS and I think I had a compelling PS so I wasn't worried about then trying to do a DS. Fwiw, I over performed my numbers.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:02 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:I was originally intending to have a separate diversity statement, but LGBT stuff ended up forming a lot of my PS and I think I had a compelling PS so I wasn't worried about then trying to do a DS. Fwiw, I over performed my numbers.
I didn't write a diversity statement, and my PS was about the shit libby type of law I want to practice (which is tangentially related to LGBT issues, in retrospect I should have worked this in)

I've talked about this before, but I did exactly how you would expect someone with my numbers to do, but was able to negotiate for more money than I might have otherwise gotten.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:09 pm

james.bungles wrote:im saying theyd rather have one good PS instead of a meh PS and a good DS. So if you have a lot of LGBT related stuff its probably better to roll that into a PS instead of assuming you have to write a DS
Well sure, but there's no reason that you should have a meh PS and a good DS anyway. While you are right, if your PS is only meh you should make it better anyway regardless of if you have a good DS or no DS. If you have LGBT related stuff that relates to your interests I think it would be better suited, as Scotti did, in a PS. If, however, you are just trying to demonstrate diversity then that is why the diversity statement exists in the first place and should not be utilized as a means for poor production on a PS front.

To add to the discussion, I wrote a non-diversity based PS, and a DS because I have no interest in utilizing law as a means of pursuing anything related to my diversity. I over performed my numbers in both terms of admissions and scholarships.

The ultimate take away is: if you are diverse and you aren't writing about it in your PS, which should be good anyway, you should write about it in your DS. There is absolutely no point to discussing the distinction between them receiving a good PS and a meh PS and a good DS because that should never be included. A DS does NOT replace a PS and should not be attributed as having such qualities. You continue to perpetuate these hypotheticals that are irrelevant to any serious applicant in the first place; aka you are being a diversity gunner with nonapplicable hypotheticals.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Attax wrote:
james.bungles wrote:im saying theyd rather have one good PS instead of a meh PS and a good DS. So if you have a lot of LGBT related stuff its probably better to roll that into a PS instead of assuming you have to write a DS
Well sure, but there's no reason that you should have a meh PS and a good DS anyway. While you are right, if your PS is only meh you should make it better anyway regardless of if you have a good DS or no DS. If you have LGBT related stuff that relates to your interests I think it would be better suited, as Scotti did, in a PS. If, however, you are just trying to demonstrate diversity then that is why the diversity statement exists in the first place and should not be utilized as a means for poor production on a PS front.

To add to the discussion, I wrote a non-diversity based PS, and a DS because I have no interest in utilizing law as a means of pursuing anything related to my diversity. I over performed my numbers in both terms of admissions and scholarships.

The ultimate take away is: if you are diverse and you aren't writing about it in your PS, which should be good anyway, you should write about it in your DS. There is absolutely no point to discussing the distinction between them receiving a good PS and a meh PS and a good DS because that should never be included. A DS does NOT replace a PS and should not be attributed as having such qualities. You continue to perpetuate these hypotheticals that are irrelevant to any serious applicant in the first place; aka you are being a diversity gunner with nonapplicable hypotheticals.
k

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Attax wrote:Texas: http://www.utexas.edu/law/orgs/outlaw/

I like it b/c OUTLaw

Also if I find our cute shirt I'll post it.
Day-um! Looks like I have yet another reason for wanting UT.

What? Attractive classmates is a bad reason for choosing a school? Oh fine.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:10 pm

Tyr wrote:

I like it b/c OUTLaw

Those people have long since graduated.

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:49 am

Dirigo wrote:
Tyr wrote:

I like it b/c OUTLaw

Those people have long since graduated.
Well, guess it's time to look at Barry.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:43 am

Tyr wrote: Well, guess it's time to look at Barry.
:lol: Please report back.
Northwestern has some good (currently enrolled) eye candy.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:59 am

People always talk about not dating law students
And I can see why that's not a good idea
So basically the bigger city your school is in, the more hot guys that are available

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:00 am

scottidsntknow wrote:People always talk about not dating law students
So basically the bigger city your school is in, the more hot guys that are available
But I've already picked out my husband at Yale...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:09 am

Dirigo wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:People always talk about not dating law students
But I've already picked out my husband at Yale...
There's no chance in hell that any Yale law student is a normal person and actually dateable...

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Tyr wrote: Well, guess it's time to look at Barry.
:lol: Please report back.
Northwestern has some good (currently enrolled) eye candy.
A friend of mine is a 3L at Michigan. She informed me that there are lots of good lookers there.

Hmm, now I'm thinking there needs to be a ranking of law schools based on the attractiveness of the student body. That would definitely be more helpful than the USNWR or ATL rankings. Right?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Wustl is generally pretty attractive I'd say

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:12 pm

Last edited by FuturePanhandler on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:25 pm

FuturePanhandler wrote:I thought you people wanted to be treated equally.
Um, what?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”