... Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
QuantTrader77

New

Post by QuantTrader77 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:37 am

Last edited by QuantTrader77 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond

Re: BlkMale-Aero PhD, EE MSc--Top 6 Law Schools?

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:06 am

QuantTrader77 wrote:I am not certain if Georgetown or GW LSs give full scholarships to part-timers, I suppose the employer would be the one to pay the law school tuition/fees in that instance. I am only surmising, thus, this could be completely far from the facts.

So, it seems only LSAT scores in the mid 170s would give me a shot at H? Y? S? Getting a 180 would definitely take a lot more study-time on my part.

From what I have seen thus far, I will definitely get into Cal Berkeley with good scholarship offers.
I would forget about HYS unless you think you'd get significant need aid. You are a black engineer, EE and Matsci. Don't waste the money. Take whatever t14 gives you the most money.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
QuantTrader77 wrote:I am not certain if Georgetown or GW LSs give full scholarships to part-timers, I suppose the employer would be the one to pay the law school tuition/fees in that instance. I am only surmising, thus, this could be completely far from the facts.

So, it seems only LSAT scores in the mid 170s would give me a shot at H? Y? S? Getting a 180 would definitely take a lot more study-time on my part.

From what I have seen thus far, I will definitely get into Cal Berkeley with good scholarship offers.
I would forget about HYS unless you think you'd get significant need aid. You are a black engineer, EE and Matsci. Don't waste the money. Take whatever t14 gives you the most money.
QuantTrader77 wrote:I posted this in a different forum, and I did not quite get the feedback I was hoping for. Thus, I am here in the appropriate forum hoping I can get some "real" responses.

I am hoping to go to a top 6 law school because I want to become a Patent Lawyer and eventually own a Patent Law firm. Here are my stats, and by the way, I am a black male:

B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland, GPA:3.09, LSAC GPA: 2.78 (B.Sc. acquired in 2003)
M.Sc. Aerospace Engineering, University of Maryland, GPA:3.50
Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, University of Maryland, cumm. GPA: 3.65, Ph.D. GPA: 3.79
M.Sc. Electrical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, GPA: 4.00

I chose to acquire my M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering from UMD because it is highly ranked in the USNWR (12th in the nation).

LSAT: 171

I do have a fairly interesting story and here it is. I was working in high school to help my mother with the household bills, and my mother went back to Africa after I completed high school. To be frank, I grew up in a fairly impoverished household. Consequently, I had to work all throughout undergrad in order to support myself, and I often had to send money back to Africa to my mother and siblings. I would attribute my low undergraduate GPA to the stress of having to work so much.
Anyway, I found a way to make it to graduate school, and I subsequently became a U.S. citizen. I subsequently acquired a position as an Aerospace Engineer with the Department of Defense. I should state that I worked full-time with the Department of Defense through the duration of completing my Aerospace Ph.D. After completing my Ph.D., I started my own non-profit hoping to increase the exposure of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) field to inner-city and underprivileged minority youth.

I plan to blanket all the top 14 law schools, and hopefully I can get into a top 6 law school. I would certainly love to go to Harvard. What do you guys think? Harvard? Columbia?
I think you should apply to all these schools and that you will get HYS acceptances. Then you can frame that acceptance and go somewhere else for free, given your goals. For your goals, if you can get a good education for no debt, you should do that and not worry about Harvard. I think Asha would strongly consider admitting you to Yale, given your entire story. But that doesn't mean you need to go there to accomplish your dreams.
If your dream changes, then maybe you might need or want HYS, though if you dont get aid it is probably still not worth it.

QuantTrader77

New

Post by QuantTrader77 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Last edited by QuantTrader77 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

QuantTrader77

New

Post by QuantTrader77 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Last edited by QuantTrader77 on Sun May 07, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:27 pm

You've accomplished a lot. That doesn't give you license to belittle other people's achievements. Of course the sociology/fine arts majors aren't doing PhDs in aerospace engineering. That doesn't mean you could turn around and do a PhD in sociology or fine arts, either.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:34 pm

QuantTrader77 wrote:
There are many 3.7-4.0 Sociology and Fine Arts majors who could easily attain a 3.092.78 GPA in Mechanical Engineering if they wanted to. This includes individuals who also had the burden of working through undergrad.

Likewise, there are many Engineering majors who cannot write decent papers without a plethora of spelling and/or grammatical errors.
Before you start commenting on my previous statement, you may want to take the time to read the initial post I wrote in this thread. Your comment is not only ridiculous, but it is also inept. You clearly and ignorantly do not have a clue what I have had to endure since setting foot onto this great country called the USA. Thus, your response to my prior statement, which you seem to take so personally, is completely preposterous.

You purposefully neglected my entire body of work. For your information, my Aerospace Engineering PhD manuscript was 300 pages long, and it was also nicely written. How many Sociology and Fine Arts majors with a 4.0 GPA can proceed to attain all that I have accomplished subsequent to my undergraduate work? Please tell me, and I would say NO emphatically!

By the way, I could not care any less about those Engineering majors who are unable to write a decent paper. So please, I adjure you to kindly refrain from comparing me to those "uninitiated" Engineers, since I am not the typical Engineer!

Cheers
QT
I think you are special enough that Yale will strongly consider admitting you in if you put your application together correctly. I wouldn't encourage you if I didn't really believe this to be true. The low GPA floor should not apply strictly to you. You are the only poster on TLS I have ever believed this about (I know my user name is new but I have been here for years.)

Please do not give up and get discouraged. Apply everywhere. Hell if you don't apply to Yale, PM me and I will paypal you the money to apply. That is how much I believe in you.

The reality is that you don't need HYS for your goals. You should go to school for free if possible, so you don't burden yourself with unnecessary debt.

But don't let the emphasis other posters have made on UG GPA make you give up before you have even started.

If you don't believe me, post in the thread by the admissions expert Mike Spivey. One of his colleagues left Harvard admissions last year. She can't comment directly about Harvard, but you can definitely ask about situations where undergrad GPA are overcome by a combination of compelling life circumstances and later stellar academic work.

You are unique and should put together a great package for every school.

Don't be defensive about stuff that probably won't matter for you, like the GPA of other people.

This is the Spivey thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=197451
Last edited by NYSprague on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You've accomplished a lot. That doesn't give you license to belittle other people's achievements. Of course the sociology/fine arts majors aren't doing PhDs in aerospace engineering. That doesn't mean you could turn around and do a PhD in sociology or fine arts, either.
This is also true. A. Nony Mouse is a person who has solid and thoughtful advice. You should listen to her.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 pm

:D Mostly that was the humanities major in me being cranky - it's pretty tangential to what the OP is asking about.

But I agree that he can put together an extremely compelling application despite the UGPA, and that the top schools that can afford to focus on softs will likely find him a great candidate. Some of those adcomms may have majored in sociology or fine arts, though.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

QuantTrader77

New

Post by QuantTrader77 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:19 am

Last edited by QuantTrader77 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:05 am

Don't apply to Michigan. They banned affirmative action. They don't deserve you.

SnakySalmon

Bronze

Post by SnakySalmon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 am

QuantTrader77 wrote:
"Ridiculous, inept, preposterous, ignorant..." :roll: You seem very defensive over such a small point. I wasn't referencing your entire body of work--I was referencing your undergraduate GPA. You implied that social science majors with 4.0's should be judged in a different light than an engineering major with a sub 3.0 GPA. I just stated that there are many 4.0 social science majors who could probably attain a sub 3.0 GPA in engineering, if they desired. It wasn't a dig at you.
I suppose I took your post a tad too personally, and I feel compelled to apologize for my perfect illustration of bad manners. In the event that I did offend you, I am sincerely sorry about that. :oops: :cry: In addition, I completely comprehend if my earlier comment alluded to the lack of respect that I may have for Fine Arts/Sociology majors, and that was not the intent at all. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

I do appreciate your feedback on the questions I have raised pertaining to law schools, and I am definitely open to an exchange of ideas.

Cheers,
QT
I'd suggest you tamp down on expressing the lack of respect you have for Humanities/Social Science majors. Those tend to be the people that go to law school, and also a good chunk of those on admissions committees. It's also worth noting that Adcomms read this forum pretty regularly, and your details are specific enough that everyone is going to know who you are. I'd suggest maybe editing a couple posts.

I mostly just want to tell you to eat shit for insulting my school, but it's a pretty shitty school, so I guess that's fair.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:12 am

How often do HYS take sub 3.0s? You have an impressive background but they're long shots imo. Fortunately for you, it doesn't really matter since you're IP eligible. Take a look at large firm profiles and look at their IP associates/partners. You'll see that their JD schools deviate from the norm usually significantly. HYS isn't likely to help you as much as it would help an average applicant.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:31 am

Last cycle the lowest GPA for someone matriculating at YLS was 3.13. HYS may not be out of the question, but they are longshots even with those impressive softs and the good LSAT.

Hard major or not, 2.78 is a very detrimental GPA.

QuantTrader77

New

Post by QuantTrader77 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:47 am

Last edited by QuantTrader77 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

QuantTrader77

New

Post by QuantTrader77 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:52 am

Last edited by QuantTrader77 on Sun May 07, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:26 am

QuantTrader77 wrote:
If you don't believe me, post in the thread by the admissions expert Mike Spivey. One of his colleagues left Harvard admissions last year. She can't comment directly about Harvard, but you can definitely ask about situations where undergrad GPA are overcome by a combination of compelling life circumstances and later stellar academic work.
I did post on Mike Spivey's thread, and I asked the question you posted above. Here is how he responded:
Quant, I'll spare you much of the holistic talk part but there is a lot that goes into admissions that makes prediction with precision difficult. But that said, you have a great deal going for you and if I were you I would blanket the top 10-14 as well, and I would expect great results. You should compete very well next cycle. You also are going into one of the best legal careers as far as insulation from swings in legal employment --so i expect great things.
So, it seems he was not quite able to say that I would be able to acquire admission to YLS or HLS.
No one can guarantee admission to Yale or Harvard. My point is that you are not automatically out of the running because of your uGPA. You have a good explanation for that GPA and other work that show your academic ability. People in this thread were saying you had no chance. I disagree and from that post so does Spivey.

QuantTrader77

New

Post by QuantTrader77 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:24 pm

Last edited by QuantTrader77 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”