2013-2014 URM Cycle Results - IN/OUT/WL Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
0913djp

Bronze

Re: 2013-2014 URM Cycle Results - IN/OUT/WL

Post by 0913djp » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:57 am

Last edited by 0913djp on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:07 am

AA Male
GPA 3.6x
LSAT: 162-164
Applied first-second week of January
Advice: I cannot stress to you how important really committing to LSAT prep is, I had A LOT going on in my life during that period, but my relative lack of commitment was critical to my LSAT score. I did OK I guess but I could've done better. And apply early if you can, it just makes the cycle all the less stressful.

Attending
Cornell

In
Howard (Full Ride)
WUSTL (Full Ride)
Vanderbilt ($$$)
Columbia ($)
Boston ($$$)
Cornell ($$$$)
Georgetown (withdrew before financial aid)

Waitlisted
Duke (Priority Reserve)
Virginia
Chicago
Penn
Harvard
NYU
Michigan

Rejected
Texas
Stanford
Last edited by mt2165 on Tue May 06, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:08 am

Type of URM: AA

GPA: 3.7

LSAT: 15x

Softs: Terrible

(All apps sent in early January)

In:
Texas $$$
Vanderbilt $$
Alabama $$
Houston 0$
Baylor $
LSU $

Reserve/Held:
Cornell
Northwestern

Waitlisted:
Georgetown -preferred WL-
Duke
W&M
WUSTL

Out:

Pending:
SMU

Advice:
-Don't underestimate the time it takes to craft a very good application. I thought my personal statement would take a day to write. I ended up re-writing it 7 times, and it took over a month to finalize to my liking.

-That being said, take the time to make a kick ass application. They do read these apps more than TLS would have you believe, so what you put on it does matter, especially with borderline numbers.

-Softs matter. My lack thereof has kept me out of places that people at and below my numbers have snagged.

-Write a "Why X". I didn't because I was already behind because of how long my PS took, so I took a gamble that the time would be worth more than writing out a thoughtful Why X for each school in the T14. I feel like it's hurt me so far and likely will hurt me with the remainder of the T14 decisions.

-Scholarships are NOT exactly correlated with school rank. I've gotten lower COA's from T15s than I have from Baylor & Houston. Not every T1 or T2 will throw tons of money at you. They do YP scholarships y'all.

-Be smart about WHERE you apply. Overall ranking in my opinion, though some may disagree, is largely irrelevant outside of the top 14. For example, Alabama may be 21 but honestly, it's not gonna help you compete for a job in Texas over a SMU for example, which is ~48. I think I kind of wasted apps on places like W&M because they were picked for rank moreso than where they place graduates, to which I was oblivious at the time. So choose from T14 & schools that are best in your target region/state.

-Blanket schools near your target's ranking, as long as you get a fee waiver, even and especially if you don't plan on going there, because if they give more $$$, you can negotiate with your target's financial aid office.
Last edited by El Principe on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:13 am

Folks don't forget to add when u applied! Thanks.

mac2013

Bronze

Post by mac2013 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Type of URM: 1/2 AA Female
GPA: will post after cycle complete
LSAT:
Applied: November, except for Yale which was in December

Softs: 2-3 years work experience that includes policy and business. Lots of volunteer work with youth. Research experience in college.

Advice: Apply early. If you are struggling with improving your LSAT score pay for a tutor or class. But, if you do take a class do a lot of investigative work before hand. Get reviews, go sit in on a class.
Write a Personal Statement draft early, I started mine over the summer. The PS I submitted in November looked completely different than my first draft. I rewrote probably 10+ drafts easily.
If possible, take at least a year off. I will likely be going to a good school for free, which would not have happened without my work experience. Furthermore, I feel more prepared and focused now than I did right out of college. I also was lucky enough to have time to travel and see the world - something I will not have time for during law school.

IN
Stanford
Chicago $$$ (Ruby)
Columbia
NYU $$ (Deans)
UPenn
UVA $$$ (Dillard)
Berkeley $$$ (matching)
Michigan $$$ (Darrow)
Cornell
Northwestern
Georgetown $$$
University of Washington $$

OUT

Waiting on
Yale
Havard (JS1 end of January)
Last edited by mac2013 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alanjd

New

Post by alanjd » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:16 pm

URM: Mexican,

LSAT: Low
GPA: High

I have experience working for a non-profit doing immigration law work. First in my family to graduate from high school. Married with a baby girl.

My advice would be to study as much as you can for the LSAT. If you can afford it, pay for a prep course. Being a URM is elevating factor, but having a good LSAT will at least give you more confidence when you are applying to those reach schools. Also, make as many connections as you can with people at the schools that you are applying to.
I was very discouraged after I received my score and someone in a school encouraged me to stick with it and apply.
So far, so good.

IN
Willamette: ($) Complete on 1/9, accepted on 1/30
Lewis and Clark: Complete on 1/9, accepted on 2/20. No scholarships offered, but I asked for reconsideration
Seattle University: Complete 1/15. accepted on 2/28.

Still waiting for...
Oregon: Complete on 1/9

Kool-Aid

Bronze

Post by Kool-Aid » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:47 pm

URM: AA male

GPA: 3.xx
LSAT: 16x

Applied: September-October

Sorts: 2-3 years of WE by the time I matriculate.

Advice: study smart for the LSAT. Quality over quantity, and don't hesitate to retake. Also, get some work experience. My perspective is night and day from the time I walked across the stage at graduation. I have been able to make some money, save some money, and do things I wouldn't at this age had I went straight to law school.

As for applications, make sure to get stuff looked at and edited. I think if you can let your numbers and softs do all the talking, you will perform to your potential.

Attending:
Texas

In:
Georgetown $$
Texas $$$

Wait list:
Chicago
Vandy (withdrew)
UVA
NYU

Reserve/Held:
Cornell
Northwestern

Out:
Berkeley
Duke
Harvard
Michigan
Columbia
Last edited by Kool-Aid on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calle_25

Bronze

Post by calle_25 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Type of URM:
GPA:
LSAT:
Softs: Will post after cycle is complete
Advice: Lots to say here, but will wait until cycle is complete. For lurkers applying in the 2014-2015 cycle, you should be studying for the LSAT, not perusing TLS :D . One simply CANNOT overstate how important that test is. While a high score alone might not get you into your dream school, it can literally be worth $150K+. STUDY HARD. Plan on taking it for the first time in October at the latest. June is preferable.

IN
NYU
Berkeley

OUT
Penn

WAITLISTED
Georgetown (Preferred WL, withdrew)

Still waiting on several schools, will update as decisions trickle in.
Last edited by calle_25 on Fri May 16, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LawSchoolOrNah

New

Post by LawSchoolOrNah » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Type of URM: AA Male
GPA: Post after cycle
LSAT:Post after cycle
Softs: Same thing.
Advice: Be holistically attractive - extracurriculars/internships/WE/GPA and give the LSAT your all. Can't tell you how important this balance has been for my cycle. Use TLS as a resource - sooner rather than later. Best of luck!

IN
Georgetown
UMichigan
NYU
Harvard
Berkeley

OUT
-

WAITLISTED
-

PENDING
Stanford
UChicago
Duke

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:54 am

Type of URM: AA (Female)
GPA: 3.6X
LSAT: low 160s
Softs: Leadership positions in undergrad (K-JD applicant) and multiple fed. gov. internships.
Advice: Apply early! I submitted my applications in early November, and I have had slightly better results than many people who applied months after me with similar or even better statistics. Also, study for the LSAT like it is the most important test that you'll ever take, because it pretty much is. As you'll find all over this site, as an AA URM with a 165+ you're golden! I recommend also being a holistically attractive student. As a URM you should have other things beyond a strong GPA/LSAT on your application that stand out - get involved, do some community service, acquire work experience etc. Don't ignore the power of a well written PS, DS, and Why X statement (especially for schools like UVA, Penn, and Duke).

Also, feel free to PM me about my cycle if you want exact figures as far as scholly goes, I'll probably be lurking around TLS for a while.

IN
Georgetown $
Duke $$
GW
USC $$$
Cornell $$
Virginia $$

WL
Penn
W&M

OUT
Nowhere

WITHDREW
NYU
Last edited by okaygo on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Type of URM: AA female
LSAT: 165 / 157
GPA: 3.69

Softs: Peace Corps, Prestigious internship, 2 yrs work experience (I'm under 26 btw), lots of public service volunteer positions, internship, and jobs

Advice: Make your application coherent. Each piece should connect and work together to create a coherent picture of who you are, where you've been, and what you wish to accomplish. If you want to practice public interest, etc., show it instead of telling it. Don't use your PS as a way to describe how adverse your situation was or how poor you were, but use it to show how you've overcome every obstacle ever put in your way and how you're stronger because of the experience. (I may add to this later, but don't hold me to it)

IN
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Penn
Duke
Michigan
Berkeley
GW

Out

WL
Chicago... I ignored the interview request because I'm pretty set on Harvard.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to the future classes! All of my apps were submitted 10/28 - the day te Oct LSAT scores were released (Don't wait until Ovtober to take the LSAT... I regret that)

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:36 am

Congrats Sassy!

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:58 pm

Type of URM: AA Female
GPA: 3.4
LSAT: 154, 159, 169
Softs: STEM Major. 4 years of work experience in science field. First gen college graduate. First gen American.
Advice:
RE-TAKE!!! Make excelling on the LSAT your number one priority. I really believe the test is learnable and most can get the score they need for their goals. So put in the time and resources to make it happen. I took an online course to prepare the third time. It was easier for me to have an established structured studying schedule and clear direction while working 40-50hrs/week instead of self-studying and doing it on my own.

Take the LSAT in June and use the rest of summer and fall to craft your statements. I underestimated the time it took to write my personal and diversity statements. Spend the time to write a quality statement and don't be afraid to scrap it if you're doubting it. My final statements look absolutely nothing like my first drafts.

I submitted a personal statement and diversity statement to all schools and nothing else. I did not do any other supplemental essays. I think if you have a strong application with those two statements, you won't need the extra essays.

I applied to all schools in early December and do not feel my cycle would have gone differently if I had applied earlier. I received most decisions by February. With that said, December is the latest I would recommend applying.

IN
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Penn
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown
Emory
George Washington
Chicago Kent

OUT
Harvard

WAITLISTED
None
Last edited by kenwash on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isaiah1992

Bronze

Post by isaiah1992 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Type of URM: AA MA NA Male
GPA: 3.71
LSAT: 173
Applied: November

Softs: Disabled, lots of WE during UG, rough childhood, community service commitment, black belt.

Advice: Take the LSAT seriously. I was fortunate enough to get a scholarship for a Testmasters course but before I began the course I powered through the PowerScore books and spent 6 months of total prep for the LSAT. Also apply early and Apply broad because you never know what can happen. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Attending

Berkeley

IN
Harvard
Chicago 60k
Columbia
NYU 75k
Berkeley 150k (matching)
Michigan 150k (Darrow)
Georgetown 60k
USC
UCLA
Duke

WAITLISTED

Penn

OUT

Yale

Waiting on

Stanford

Withdrew before consideration

Cornell
UVA
Northwestern

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:01 am

Type of URM: Mexican American and Other Hispanic
LSAT: 165 (Multiple Takes)
Softs: 2+ Years of WE, typical undergrad leadership roles
Advice: Apply early! On day one if possible. This was my second cycle and I got $$ at schools I got rejected at last time. The URM bump isn't as strong for MA so don't rely on it, kill the LSAT!

Undecided on where to attend.

In
Notre Dame 90k
UCI 150k
Iowa Full-tuition
WUSTL 9K
Texas (non-resident)
GW

Out
Harvard
Columbia
Berkeley
Michigan

Waitlisted
Chicago
Northwestern
Georgetown
Cornell (Held)
Vandy
UIUC (Held)

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:33 am

GPA: pm
LSAT: pm
Applied: November

Softs: Ivy UG, 2 years WE, 1 year as a paralegal, some leadership positions in college

Advice: Take LSAT in June, retake in October if necessary. Submit before Thanksgiving.

In
Harvard
Columbia
NYU
Penn
Michigan w/ 150K Darrow
Duke

Out
Yale

Waiting on
Stanford (ha!)
Last edited by August Wilson on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Type of URM: AA female
LSAT: 160-162 (Multiple Takes)
Softs: Ivy UGrad, 2+ Years of WE, volunteer experience, etc.
Applied: Mid December- Early Jan
Advice: Apply as early as possible, but don't half do the statements to do so. This process takes about a full year-- a lot of planning, writing and rewriting of statements and money. Remember to save money for applications, admitted students weekends( you may get stipends), seat deposits, and moving expenses. Also, LOCI on deck before the cycle begins just so you won't have to worry about having writers block or nothing to write about when/ if you get waitlisted.

Also, I found that it helped to make personal connections with admissions people. Talk to them about their school and your goals. Don't be shy to reach out to them especially at LSAC forums.

Finally, I feel like I wasted a ton of money applying to schools I would never go to. I don't think there is a such thing as a "Safety" for law school. I would recommend applying to schools you would 100% go to and their peers for scholarship negotiation. If you strike out, I would say wait and reapply. I received the best thing I could ask for for my numbers and my goals.

P.S. I have some special work experiences that may have affected my cycle, so PM me if you have further questions

Attending: Penn

In***
Penn ($90K negotiated)
Michigan ($70K-$80K)
GW ($15K)
Howard ($80K-$90K)

Out
Harvard
Stanford
Georgetown (lol)

Waitlisted
Chicago
Duke (withdrew)
UVA (dropped from waitlist, thought I withdrew)
Cornell (Held)
Emory (withdrew)
W&M (withdrew)
USC (withdrew)
Columbia
NYU
Last edited by mandyjay11 on Sun May 18, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:38 pm

GPA: 3.XX
LSAT: 163-165
Softs: 2 years Public Interest work experience, First Generation grad, etc. nothing special
Applied: Early January
Advice: Save money! Save money! Save money! I underestimated the amount of expenses that come with this whole process. Reporting fees, app fees if you don't get fee waivers, ASW/Ds, having to possibly pay first and last months rent for wherever you're moving. Also, start early. I say take the test in September at the latest(No oct test this time)... and if it's an emergency use Dec, but submit your apps well before then.

More advice... Don't settle. I almost settled basically because I was in a rush and saw all my friends going, and felt like I really needed to go to law school now. I finally realized that this is my journey and that I need to tailor it towards my goals and mine only.

Attending: About 85% sure I'm not attending this year. Retaking for next years cycle.

In
NYU
Northwestern
Georgetown
UCLA$
Vanderbilt $
BU$
FSU$$$
UF$$$

Waitlisted
Emory

Out
Upenn

Waiting on (assume these are dings or waitlists)
Cornell
Columbia
Chicago

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Type of URM: 1/2 AA
GPA:3.5X
LSAT:17X
Softs: 2+ years WE, some law-related; political campaign staffer; internships related to civil/human rights in US and abroad; top 5 UG
Advice: Apply earlier than later. I applied in mid-Jan and that might've hurt my Harvard and Berkeley applications. Don't be afraid to retake the LSAT if you think you can do better. I did and I think I've had a better cycle than I would've as a result. Don't assume that strong numbers will get you into your first-choice school, though. I think I probably underperformed my numbers based on the predictions people on TLS and elsewhere offered. Not sure why that is- maybe my GPA, maybe they didn't like my resume, maybe it was just a bit of bad luck.

IN
Columbia
UVA (Dillard)

OUT
Harvard
Berkeley
Yale

WAITLISTED
Stanford
Chicago
NYU

PENDING
Northwestern
Last edited by teampeeta on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:01 pm

teampeeta wrote:Type of URM: 1/2 AA
GPA:3.5X
LSAT:17X
Softs: 2+ years WE, some law-related; political campaign staffer; internships related to civil/human rights in US and abroad; top 5 UG
Advice: Apply earlier than later. I applied in mid-Jan and that might've hurt my Harvard and Berkeley applications. Don't be afraid to retake the LSAT if you think you can do better. I did and I think I've had a better cycle than I would've as a result. Don't assume that strong numbers will get you into your first-choice school, though. I think I probably underperformed my numbers based on the predictions people on TLS and elsewhere offered. Not sure why that is- maybe my GPA, maybe they didn't like my resume, maybe it was just a bit of bad luck.

IN
Columbia
UVA (Dillard)

OUT
Harvard
Berkeley
Yale

WAITLISTED
None yet

PENDING
Stanford
Chicago
NYU
Northwestern
Reapply next year earlier?

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:41 pm

90convoy wrote:
I don't think I'm going to. I don't see how/ why it would be any different. Maybe I'd get WL'd at Harvard instead of rejected. I think there might be something about my app JS just didn't like. And I think my GPA is prohibitively low at Yale, so...

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:06 am

teampeeta wrote:
90convoy wrote:
I don't think I'm going to. I don't see how/ why it would be any different. Maybe I'd get WL'd at Harvard instead of rejected. I think there might be something about my app JS just didn't like. And I think my GPA is prohibitively low at Yale, so...
Maybe try a re-write of statements and any additional essays?

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:09 pm

MTH2 wrote:
teampeeta wrote:
90convoy wrote:
Maybe try a re-write of statements and any additional essays?
I guess I could try. But I still don't see it being worth it. Would you turn down a full scholarship for, probably, less than a coin flip's chances at H and lottery entrant's chance at Y? It's not like the money is just going to wait around for me.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:41 am

Nope, just take Dillard. Your cycle is too random for me to think it has anything to do with softs/essays. If those were categorically bad you wouldn't have gotten Dillard imo. Its probably your GPA even though that's probably not what you want to hear.

LSATneurotic

Silver

Post by LSATneurotic » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:58 pm

-
Last edited by LSATneurotic on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”