ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nole06

New

ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship

Post by Nole06 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Did anyone else apply for this? If so, did you receive any kind of confirmation email?

usfvictor

Bronze

Re: ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship

Post by usfvictor » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:40 pm

I applied and got an email from an admin at the ABA saying Thanks. Looking back at the ABA LOS posts from the last few years it seems they will only tell you if you got it, not if you didn't get it.

Manhattanman

Bronze

Post by Manhattanman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 pm

I applied. First through e mail and then I mailed in my app w sealed letters of rec. Got a reply to my email, but no word if they received the letters. I am neurotic so I e mailed them on Friday asking if they received my letters. I'll let you know if they get back to me.
Last edited by Manhattanman on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gertie

New

Post by gertie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:39 am

Checking in on this. I applied via mail also. Has anyone received a confirmation message who applied via snail mail? Should I call or email them?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:33 am

Checking in, too. Applied a few days before the deadline (tax info delays).
gertie wrote:Checking in on this. I applied via mail also. Has anyone received a confirmation message who applied via snail mail? Should I call or email them?
I have not received any confirmation. I will probably call them at the beginning of April if I haven't heard anything by then. They don't release winner until June (?), so I am not too concerned.

Nole06

New

Post by Nole06 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 pm

I applied through mail, never received any kind of confirmation. I emailed them and they replied saying they received it.

Manhattanman

Bronze

Post by Manhattanman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Just got a "Receipt Notification". Seems like a general email they send to all applicants. Says we'll find out first week of August.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:16 pm

I applied via snail mail (more like express mail) too about a week before the deadline. I haven't received any email. I guess I'll call them in April too but I don't know if that will make a difference.

15k is nice but there is only a 2% chance of winning the award :(

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:24 pm

qwertyboard wrote: 15k is nice but there is only a 2% chance of winning the award :(
How so?

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Without taking any other variable into account (like how special your app is, which is difficult to quantify) they say over 1000 people apply each year and only 20 scholarships are awarded.

"The ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship grants 20 incoming diverse law students with $15,000 of financial assistance over the course of their three years in law school. During his term as ABA President, William G. Paul initiated the scholarship to encourage racially and ethnically diverse students to apply to and attend law school."

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:21 pm

qwertyboard wrote:Without taking any other variable into account (like how special your app is, which is difficult to quantify) they say over 1000 people apply each year and only 20 scholarships are awarded.

"The ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship grants 20 incoming diverse law students with $15,000 of financial assistance over the course of their three years in law school. During his term as ABA President, William G. Paul initiated the scholarship to encourage racially and ethnically diverse students to apply to and attend law school."
Ah. Right.

I wonder if that number will be significantly lower in light of the national trend of fewer (minority) applicants.

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:59 pm

qwertyboard wrote:I applied via snail mail (more like express mail) too about a week before the deadline. I haven't received any email. I guess I'll call them in April too but I don't know if that will make a difference.

When I figured that out I lost all enthusiasm for hunting down LORs to send in and ended up missing the deadline and saying "oh well."

I'm pretty certain that someone who lived through a civil war in Africa and then rafted across the ocean to America with only the clothes on his back and a song in his heart and then immediately founded a home for tortured youth upon arriving in the states is gonna get it.

Like these people:
http://www.pdsoros.org/current_fellows/

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:33 pm

talesofyore wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:I applied via snail mail (more like express mail) too about a week before the deadline. I haven't received any email. I guess I'll call them in April too but I don't know if that will make a difference.

When I figured that out I lost all enthusiasm for hunting down LORs to send in and ended up missing the deadline and saying "oh well."

I'm pretty certain that someone who lived through a civil war in Africa and then rafted across the ocean to America with only the clothes on his back and a song in his heart and then immediately founded a home for tortured youth upon arriving in the states is gonna get it.

Like these people:
http://www.pdsoros.org/current_fellows/
lol

Edit:
I thought you were exaggerating. I was wrong :shock: .

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:55 am

souuuu... I submitted my app on feb 25 via snail mail... and still no email confirming they received my app.. should i call them?

Nole06

New

Post by Nole06 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:59 am

Email them... they'll confirm whether they received it or not pretty quickly.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:40 pm

more than 700 applications were received, according to the office. that means a 2.5 to 2.9% acceptance rate. jeez.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:42 pm

They have so much work to go through I hope they chose as their selection method to glue all the applications to the wall and then throw 20 darts at them. With my lame application, I have a greater chance of receiving the scholarship that way.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm still waiting for that award letter with my name on it...

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Fri May 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Has anyone received a confirmation email? I emailed them about a month ago and they replied they were very busy processing 700 applications...

andres

New

Post by andres » Fri May 03, 2013 5:42 pm

qwertyboard wrote:Has anyone received a confirmation email? I emailed them about a month ago and they replied they were very busy processing 700 applications...
I recieved an email about 2 weeks informing me that the review process has begun. They will announce winners first week of August

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Sat May 04, 2013 1:59 am

I haven't received anything... should I email them again??? I sent my app via snail mail.. (express mail)

Dick Dastardly

New

Post by Dick Dastardly » Sat May 04, 2013 2:18 am

qwertyboard wrote:I haven't received anything... should I email them again??? I sent my app via snail mail.. (express mail)
I would call on Monday. They haven't made decisions yet (my class didn't hear until late July), but you have to make sure you are in consideration.

EDIT: Now I see that this year won't be until August.

cnavarro414

New

Post by cnavarro414 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Has anyone heard anything? When are winners being notified?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:52 pm

cnavarro414 wrote:Has anyone heard anything? When are winners being notified?
Nothing will be mentioned until August.

BruCam

New

Post by BruCam » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:57 pm

I tried emailing the legalosf address to check if my app had in fact been received but have not got a response. Was there a different email or specific person that anyone emailed to check? Thanks.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”