AA male URM 151(cannot retake) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
spleenworship

Gold

Re: AA male URM 151(cannot retake)

Post by spleenworship » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:27 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Update:
First rejection this morning from UMin over email. I wrote this on my LSN page:
Although kind of sad, it was never a school I really desired to go to and I applied there as an option and since I did not send money on app fee. I do believe however, that I will receive similar rejections along these lines from other schools in similar ranking since even with a URM 'boost' my LSAT is still very low. Well, onward and upwards. Let's see how it continues...
Brush that dirt off your shoulder and keep it moving. Thanks for the update. :)
Thank you! It was still a little upsetting getting a rejection as the first response from a school :oops:

Nah. Don't let it make you sweat. Just keep going. I got rejected by about half my reaches. At first I was all like "Tulane turned me down? But they let a convicted murderer in!" But two weeks later when I started getting a bunch of acceptances, even from schools I never expected to get in to, that concern just totally evaporated.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:32 pm

spleenworship wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
First rejection this morning from UMin over email. I wrote this on my LSN page:
Although kind of sad, it was never a school I really desired to go to and I applied there as an option and since I did not send money on app fee. I do believe however, that I will receive similar rejections along these lines from other schools in similar ranking since even with a URM 'boost' my LSAT is still very low. Well, onward and upwards. Let's see how it continues...
Brush that dirt off your shoulder and keep it moving. Thanks for the update. :)
Thank you! It was still a little upsetting getting a rejection as the first response from a school :oops:

Nah. Don't let it make you sweat. Just keep going. I got rejected by about half my reaches. At first I was all like "Tulane turned me down? But they let a convicted murderer in!" But two weeks later when I started getting a bunch of acceptances, even from schools I never expected to get in to, that concern just totally evaporated.
Thank you for this! It's very uplifting to hear. I remain convicted that good things are on the horizon, and I just hope all will work out.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Update:

per some advice, I just sent an app to Pitt. Any thoughts on the school/chances of getting in?

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Hey I just wanted to wish you luck I was in a very similar position as you last cycle had 154 but your gap is higher... I ended up getting into w&l Norte dame and got off the wl at Fordham so it's definitely possible

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:54 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Hey I just wanted to wish you luck I was in a very similar position as you last cycle had 154 but your gap is higher... I ended up getting into w&l Norte dame and got off the wl at Fordham so it's definitely possible
Thanks for this.
Do you mind sharing your complete stats and cycle? Could be a good resource

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Here is my Lsn profile http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mcdeeremitch
I didn't update it but wl admit to Fordham

I'm an open book if u have any questions feel free to pm me or I'll answer them on here as well

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:51 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Here is my Lsn profile http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mcdeeremitch

I'm an open book if u have any questions feel free to pm me or I'll answer them on here as well
I would actually love to know what made you choose W&L? It's slowly but surely becoming a favorite of mine. I am unsure if I'll get in though..

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:26 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:Here is my Lsn profile http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mcdeeremitch

I would actually love to know what made you choose W&L? It's slowly but surely becoming a favorite of mine. I am unsure if I'll get in though..
I chose W&l for many reasons 1st the town and school are extraordinary I felt this the moment I got in town for asw it is actually very hard to explain unless you visit but the people are extremely warm and welcoming the town itself is very small but I love it we always find something to do my I am very good fri ds with many of my classmates including the three ls and 2ls and I felt this kind of connectin during my visit

2 the ranking jump to 24 assured me that they were heading in the right direction and the new 3rd year program drew a lot of my attention

As far as getting in W&l is definitely a school that looks beyond the numbers in a large part ( not saying that they aren't looking for high numbers because they obviously are and they will get them) but after that they look at your entire application top to bottom and see how you would fit in with the school... I know the dean of admissions personally and when talking to him the fit is a huge part of it W&l has a very strong sense of community and he won't he has no problem denying someone with high numbers who he feels won't be a good fit and letting someone one with lower numbers that will...I don't know if you're able to or not but I suggest making a trip to lexington this se,ester checking out the school and town and having an interview with him

Some of ,y classmates are answering questions in this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=198449.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:31 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

I chose W&l for many reasons 1st the town and school are extraordinary I felt this the moment I got in town for asw it is actually very hard to explain unless you visit but the people are extremely warm and welcoming the town itself is very small but I love it we always find something to do my I am very good fri ds with many of my classmates including the three ls and 2ls and I felt this kind of connectin during my visit

2 the ranking jump to 24 assured me that they were heading in the right direction and the new 3rd year program drew a lot of my attention

As far as getting in W&l is definitely a school that looks beyond the numbers in a large part ( not saying that they aren't looking for high numbers because they obviously are and they will get them) but after that they look at your entire application top to bottom and see how you would fit in with the school... I know the dean of admissions personally and when talking to him the fit is a huge part of it W&l has a very strong sense of community and he won't he has no problem denying someone with high numbers who he feels won't be a good fit and letting someone one with lower numbers that will...I don't know if you're able to or not but I suggest making a trip to lexington this se,ester checking out the school and town and having an interview with him

Some of ,y classmates are answering questions in this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=198449.
It all sounds really good. It's definitely climbing up for me. I am trying to remain hopeful throuohgt the process and really hope things will end up well.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:31 am

Update:

Just got my first admit to W&L!!
Still don't know anything about the offer but the status checker just changed! So happy.

Thank you again to everyone here who are giving such incredible and valuable advice on a daily basis.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:35 am

Still don't know anything about the offer but the status checker just changed! So happy.

Thank you again to everyone here who are giving such incredible and valuable advice on a daily basis.

Congratulations!! Hoping there is more on their way.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:37 am

Thats awesome, Jay :mrgreen:

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks!! I considered them a reach for me so I am very very happy.

Something has been drawing me to this school for a while. I really want to visit it and see it for myself. Still very early for final decisions but it's definitely a happy day.

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Congratulations!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:35 pm

talesofyore wrote:

Congratulations!
Thank you. I hope I'll see some more decisions over the next week or so but regardless W&L is very high on my list regardless on how the cycle continues. I kind want to be in a small time for law school, partly because it'll probably be my last chance to experience small town living. Plus COL there is so cheap which is also a big factor.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:37 pm

BlaqBella wrote:

Congratulations!! Hoping there is more on their way.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Congrats on W&L and sorry about UMinn. Your LSAT is pretty low, but your WE is impressive. Expect the unexpected in your cycle. URMs frequently get rejected by a lower-ranked school and accepted by a higher-ranked school. They look more to softs for URMs, I think. I was just looking at W&L's LSN graph and saw that last year they accepted someone with a 142/2.13 (he didn't seem like a flame) so they must've been impressed with his softs.

While it is wonderful you got into W&L, don't get too far ahead of yourself. There are still many more decisions and, much more importantly, financial aid packages to come. Getting too attached to one school this early is probably not a good idea because you want an objective head once you have all the financial aid packages in front of you.

IMVHUO (in my very humble and unsolicited opinion), I think it might be better to wait it out and retake the LSAT if you don't get significant $$$ from some of these T30s or get into NW/Mich. You have a decent GPA and WE and a few points could yield you a lot more. But as they say....more will be revealed. And congrats again!

ETA: I also really commend you for being willing to put the time and effort in to taking the LSAT 3x. It seems like you are really committed to doing this "right."

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
talesofyore wrote:

Congratulations!
Thank you. I hope I'll see some more decisions over the next week or so but regardless W&L is very high on my list regardless on how the cycle continues. I kind want to be in a small time for law school, partly because it'll probably be my last chance to experience small town living. Plus COL there is so cheap which is also a big factor.
This is exactly the way I feel. Maybe I'll see you there!!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:Congrats on W&L and sorry about UMinn. Your LSAT is pretty low, but your WE is impressive. Expect the unexpected in your cycle. URMs frequently get rejected by a lower-ranked school and accepted by a higher-ranked school. They look more to softs for URMs, I think. I was just looking at W&L's LSN graph and saw that last year they accepted someone with a 142/2.13 (he didn't seem like a flame) so they must've been impressed with his softs.

While it is wonderful you got into W&L, don't get too far ahead of yourself. There are still many more decisions and, much more importantly, financial aid packages to come. Getting too attached to one school this early is probably not a good idea because you want an objective head once you have all the financial aid packages in front of you.

IMVHUO (in my very humble and unsolicited opinion), I think it might be better to wait it out and retake the LSAT if you don't get significant $$$ from some of these T30s or get into NW/Mich. You have a decent GPA and WE and a few points could yield you a lot more. But as they say....more will be revealed. And congrats again!

ETA: I also really commend you for being willing to put the time and effort in to taking the LSAT 3x. It seems like you are really committed to doing this "right."
Thanks for this.
Re: LSAT. I only wish I knew that oct was my last retake. For some godly reason I thought the rule was 3 exams in one year so I counted on taking the dec exam if I bomb oct (since my first LSAT was dec11). If I knew its 3 in two years I would have waited and taken the dec LSAT. But... It is what it is.

Re: getting attached to W&L I think you are right. I was so happy to see an acceptance and I'm sure excitement will shape into place as the cycle continues. I am considering them but then again if I get into NW or Mich it's game over (pretty much). Mich is a huge huge reach for me and NW, only since I'm applying to the AJD prog, feels better but still I won't be surprised if I get rejected.

Re: waiting a year. It's prob not going to happen. I really don't know how high I can go with the LSAT and I am not ready at this point to wait and retake in dec, partly because I could not apply until jan '14. Also, I'm already feeling like this year is a waste. I can't get a 'real' job and I find myself counting the days until Im back in school. That's why if NW or Mich happens (both summer start) it's incredible just from a timing perspective.

I am by far not a traditional applicant, for good and bad, and I believe I fall into the "oh, that's an interesting app!" kind. That said, I have conviction in what I bring to the table. All I need is someone out there taking a chance on me.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:Congrats on W&L and sorry about UMinn. Your LSAT is pretty low, but your WE is impressive. Expect the unexpected in your cycle. URMs frequently get rejected by a lower-ranked school and accepted by a higher-ranked school. They look more to softs for URMs, I think. I was just looking at W&L's LSN graph and saw that last year they accepted someone with a 142/2.13 (he didn't seem like a flame) so they must've been impressed with his softs.

Thanks for this.
Re: LSAT. I only wish I knew that oct was my last retake. For some godly reason I thought the rule was 3 exams in one year so I counted on taking the dec exam if I bomb oct (since my first LSAT was dec11). If I knew its 3 in two years I would have waited and taken the dec LSAT. But... It is what it is.

Re: getting attached to W&L I think you are right. I was so happy to see an acceptance and I'm sure excitement will shape into place as the cycle continues. I am considering them but then again if I get into NW or Mich it's game over (pretty much). Mich is a huge huge reach for me and NW, only since I'm applying to the AJD prog, feels better but still I won't be surprised if I get rejected.

Re: waiting a year. It's prob not going to happen. I really don't know how high I can go with the LSAT and I am not ready at this point to wait and retake in dec, partly because I could not apply until jan '14. Also, I'm already feeling like this year is a waste. I can't get a 'real' job and I find myself counting the days until Im back in school. That's why if NW or Mich happens (both summer start) it's incredible just from a timing perspective.

I am by far not a traditional applicant, for good and bad, and I believe I fall into the "oh, that's an interesting app!" kind. That said, I have conviction in what I bring to the table. All I need is someone out there taking a chance on me.
Oh, okay, I thought you were currently working. The prospect of taking a year off without a job is totally different. Plus, you have taken it 3x, so it is not like you didn't put a lot of effort in.

I think more good things are in store for you! BTW, I can't remember if you said, but what do you want to do after law school? Private sector? Gov? PI?
Last edited by somewhatwayward on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:35 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Thanks for this.

Oh, okay, I thought you were currently working. The prospect of taking a year off without a job is totally different. Plus, you have taken it 3x, so it is not like you didn't put a lot of effort in.

I think more good things are in store for you! BTW, I can't remember if you said, but what do you want to do after law school? Private sector? Gov? PI?
Well it all depends on my $$$ debt going out of school... Ideally I'd like to have a gov legal job but who knows what will happen...

And no I'm not working now. I graduated from undergrad this summer (as I said.. A very non trad candidate :) )

I'm really hoping for NW. I think the AJD is a great fit for me. That said, I really do want to be in a small(or smaller) town for school so Ann Arbor will be amazing. Than again I really do think Mich is a very very far reach for me.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Well it all depends on my $$$ debt going out of school... Ideally I'd like to have a gov legal job but who knows what will happen...

And no I'm not working now. I graduated from undergrad this summer (as I said.. A very non trad candidate :) )

I'm really hoping for NW. I think the AJD is a great fit for me. That said, I really do want to be in a small(or smaller) town for school so Ann Arbor will be amazing. Than again I really do think Mich is a very very far reach for me.
I was asking about the job stuff because I wanted to make sure you weren't a big law or bust person because then most of the non-T14s might be risky. It sounds like you are not, though. NW or Mich would be awesome! One way to think about it is that if NW's medians are 170/3.75, and they are looking at two AA males, one at 160/3.5 and one at 151/3.4, both of them will be below NW's 25th percentiles, so there isn't really a numerical incentive to choose the 160/3.5 unless averages are used for anything, which I don't think they are. I think this is why softs come into play more. If the admissions committee is satisfied that both candidates can do the work, and admitting either one will have the same effect on the medians, then other factors become bigger considerations.

Oh, and one unrelated thing...I don't know if someone mentioned this earlier, but often schools will wait until pretty late in the cycle to accept URMs with LSATs/GPAs below their median. So you may be in for a wait at some schools, but they will eventually come through! Hopefully there will be some acceptances and $$$ offers over the course of the next few months to tide you over.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:47 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Well it all depends on my $$$ debt going out of school... Ideally I'd like to have a gov legal job but who knows what will happen...

I was asking about the job stuff because I wanted to make sure you weren't a big law or bust person because then most of the non-T14s might be risky. It sounds like you are not, though. NW or Mich would be awesome! One way to think about it is that if NW's medians are 170/3.75, and they are looking at two AA males, one at 160/3.5 and one at 151/3.4, both of them will be below NW's 25th percentiles, so there isn't really a numerical incentive to choose the 160/3.5 unless averages are used for anything, which I don't think they are. I think this is why softs come into play more. If the admissions committee is satisfied that both candidates can do the work, and admitting either one will have the same effect on the medians, then other factors become bigger considerations.

Oh, and one unrelated thing...I don't know if someone mentioned this earlier, but often schools will wait until pretty late in the cycle to accept URMs with LSATs/GPAs below their median. So you may be in for a wait at some schools, but they will eventually come through! Hopefully there will be some acceptances and $$$ offers over the course of the next few months to tide you over.
The good thing about NW AJD is that they will decide on all the candidates by feb1... I applied to Mich summer so I assume I'll hear from them not long after that, although the app is not even complete yet, and I sent it on 12/21 :roll:

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 pm

upadate:

Accepted at American!

honestly, I think there is little to no chance I will attend due to everything I have read about AU here, but if people have other or more thoughts about American I'd love to hear!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:15 pm

JayJones78 wrote:upadate:

Accepted at American!

honestly, I think there is little to no chance I will attend due to everything I have read about AU here, but if people have other or more thoughts about American I'd love to hear!
Congrats!! I should put you on to my black male friend who attends there at the moment. A 3L who secured NYC BIGLAW. Let me know.

Oh, and BTW, for NW AJD have you considered taking the GMATs? They also accept this in lieu of the LSATs.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”