Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LSlyfe

Bronze

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:40 pm

L_William_W wrote:
Intro-gamer wrote:
L_William_W wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
L_William_W wrote:This thread should be locked. It's pure bullshit.
And your basis for saying this is...?
It's an indirect insult to blacks. "Oh, black people are stupid. They can't get into law school without affirmative action. Blah blah blah..."

This thread was created for the sole purpose of denigrating blacks. It should be LOCKED.
I’ve noticed this dude’s posts before. I was suspecting this before but now I’m pretty willing to bet he’s an anti-affirmative action troll. His posts seem to try to both confirm negative stereotypes against African Americans in the legal profession, while also discouraging and shaming/guilt-tripping African Americans from using resources, like this thread, under a guise of well-meaning and good intentions. He’s full of shit and I really hope no African Americans take his posts seriously if and when they read them, troll or not.
I'm a 32 year old black male. And as far as affirmative action is concerned, I'm neutral. BOTH SIDES have compelling arguments. IT'S AN ISSUE THAT SHOULDN'T BE DISCUSSED.

My point is that whenever there's a story in the media that pertains to African-Americans, 95% of the time it's something negative. I've been called every variation of stupid or incompetent. Our Commander-in-Chief thinks that black men are uneducated thugs, Africans live in huts, and all Haitians have HIV. I attended a mostly white and Asian high school in NYC and several teachers looked down on me because of my skin color. I dealt with the same bullshit in law school and during job hunting.

I'm tired of having to prove myself and I'm tired of being treated in a condescending manner. Unless you're black, you wouldn't understand the shit we go through on a daily basis.

Call me a troll all you want. I speak from the heart.
]

That was passionate...but completely unrelated to the issue at heart here. Which is why a thread, also created by a black man, for the benefit of other black students, should be locked. So far you're citing a ton of societal issues unrelated to the law school admissions process as reasons for why everyone else should be limited from engaging in a discussion forum that many find to be beneficial when attempting to guesstimate their own admissions chances.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 pm

L_William_W wrote:
Intro-gamer wrote:
L_William_W wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
It's an indirect insult to blacks. "Oh, black people are stupid. They can't get into law school without affirmative action. Blah blah blah..."

This thread was created for the sole purpose of denigrating blacks. It should be LOCKED.
I’ve noticed this dude’s posts before. I was suspecting this before but now I’m pretty willing to bet he’s an anti-affirmative action troll. His posts seem to try to both confirm negative stereotypes against African Americans in the legal profession, while also discouraging and shaming/guilt-tripping African Americans from using resources, like this thread, under a guise of well-meaning and good intentions. He’s full of shit and I really hope no African Americans take his posts seriously if and when they read them, troll or not.
I'm a 32 year old black male. And as far as affirmative action is concerned, I'm neutral. BOTH SIDES have compelling arguments. IT'S AN ISSUE THAT SHOULDN'T BE DISCUSSED.

My point is that whenever there's a story in the media that pertains to African-Americans, 95% of the time it's something negative. I've been called every variation of stupid or incompetent. Our Commander-in-Chief thinks that black men are uneducated thugs, Africans live in huts, and all Haitians have HIV. I attended a mostly white and Asian high school in NYC and several teachers looked down on me because of my skin color. I dealt with the same bullshit in law school and during job hunting.

I'm tired of having to prove myself and I'm tired of being treated in a condescending manner. Unless you're black, you wouldn't understand the shit we go through on a daily basis.

I'm sorry you've been called stupid and incompetent. Are you sure you're not those things regardless of your skin color?

I went to Hunter high school in NYC and was one of the few blacks there. I felt like a few of my teachers assumed I was an AA admit or that I didn't belong, but I never gave a crap. By the end of the year, once they saw my work ethic and what I was capable of, they usually ended up loving me!
It very well might have all been in my head since my grandmother instilled a victim mentality in me growing up. That everyone is racist; that I'd have to work 10x harder to get to where the white people were; that everything bad that happens is because of racism. I get what you mean, bro. But I believe If you work hard, get good grades, and are qualified for a job, you'll get it. I'm just not a fan of the victim mentality that my grandmother instilled in me growing up. I think you can get stuck seeing the world through a very negative lens where you think tons of bad things are happening to you because of your skin color. Like thinking this thread was created to denigrate blacks... It's a form of learned helplessness and it's harmful. Besides, even if I'm completely wrong about everything and my grandmother was right, it wouldn't have done me any good to believe those things.

You seem like you got a decent gig for now. Work hard and hopefully, it will turn into a FT offer.

ETA: sry for typos on my phone.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
L_William_W wrote:
Intro-gamer wrote:
L_William_W wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I'm sorry you've been called stupid and incompetent. Are you sure you're not those things regardless of your skin color?

I went to Hunter high school in NYC and was one of the few blacks there. I felt like a few of my teachers assumed I was an AA admit or that I didn't belong, but I never gave a crap. By the end of the year, once they saw my work ethic and what I was capable of, they usually ended up loving me!
It very well might have all been in my head since my grandmother instilled a victim mentality in me growing up. That everyone is racist; that I'd have to work 10x harder to get to where the white people were; that everything bad that happens is because of racism. I get what you mean, bro. But I believe If you work hard, get good grades, and are qualified for a job, you'll get it. I'm just not a fan of the victim mentality that my grandmother instilled in me growing up. I think you can get stuck seeing the world through a very negative lens where you think tons of bad things are happening to you because of your skin color. Like thinking this thread was created to denigrate blacks... It's a form of learned helplessness and it's harmful. Besides, even if I'm completely wrong about everything and my grandmother was right, it wouldn't have done me any good to believe those things.

You seem like you got a decent gig for now. Work hard and hopefully, it will turn into a FT offer.

I heard of Hunter. It's quite possibly the only high school in the city better than Stuyvesant. For the record, I went to Brooklyn Tech.

I'm just so fucking sick of black people being called stupid. My law school grades sucked and I had to take the NY bar multiple times, but ultimately, I got the job done.

One more thing: Predictions mean nothing. You bust your ass, give it your 100%, and let the cards fall where they may. It's that simple. If you don't get into the school of your choice then get tutoring and prepare differently for the LSAT. Keep trying until you get what you want. However, talk is cheap. Predictions are pointless.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:15 pm

L_William_W wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
L_William_W wrote:
Intro-gamer wrote:
L_William_W wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I heard of Hunter. It's quite possibly the only high school in the city better than Stuyvesant. For the record, I went to Brooklyn Tech.

I'm just so fucking sick of black people being called stupid. My law school grades sucked and I had to take the NY bar multiple times, but ultimately, I got the job done.

One more thing: Predictions mean nothing. You bust your ass, give it your 100%, and let the cards fall where they may. It's that simple. If you don't get into the school of your choice then get tutoring and prepare differently for the LSAT. Keep trying until you get what you want. However, talk is cheap. Predictions are pointless.

I agree with that 100% Congrats for becoming an attorney and passing the bar though!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 pm

L_William_W wrote:I'm just so fucking sick of black people being called stupid. My law school grades sucked and I had to take the NY bar multiple times, but ultimately, I got the job done.
The thing is, no one in this thread was calling black people stupid. The thread is intended to share information relevant to deciding where to apply to law school, not saying AAs are stupid.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:41 pm

DAE get a bit bothered by the thread title? I just noticed it and it kinda struck me the wrong way. I'm not black so my opinion matters little but if someone made a thread about "Transgenders in Law School" (using my own minority group as an example) I might think they're a bit tone deaf. I'm sure it wasnt malicious or anything, just a thought.

maybe i'm just an insufferable sjw... :lol:

hcss11

New

Post by hcss11 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Hi all! Bumping this up - how is everyone responding to the COVID pandemic? How are law schools/law school admissions affected this year/next year? Post below to discuss!

Duckhat

New

Post by Duckhat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Hello, quick bump to let people know that LSAC has an interactive site where you can filter test scores by ethnicity or other factors. https://report.lsac.org/VolumeSummary.aspx

Click the hamburger button on the left and go to applicants to play with the stats.

Looks like the numbers have gone up substantially since the OP.

Sorry if this has been posted before!

dirtynef

New

Post by dirtynef » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:19 pm

Duckhat wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:17 pm
Hello, quick bump to let people know that LSAC has an interactive site where you can filter test scores by ethnicity or other factors. https://report.lsac.org/VolumeSummary.aspx

Click the hamburger button on the left and go to applicants to play with the stats.

Looks like the numbers have gone up substantially since the OP.

Sorry if this has been posted before!
Super helpful to know this! Numbers are rising pretty fast, was debating about ED but now I think I need to pull the trigger on it lol. To any URMs reading this, take and apply ASAP

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”