Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
hcss11

New

Re: Blacks and Law School: By The Numbers

Post by hcss11 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:25 am

Bump to top

pepperlampkin

New

Post by pepperlampkin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:16 pm

top10hopeful wrote:Based on this information, where should my targets be? Why do I feel like CCN are out of the question even if only 90 other people will score at this level or above.

LSAT: 165
GPA: 3.12
160, 3.28 in at CCN.

I doubt it's out of the question for you.

Jessicakes90

Bronze

Post by Jessicakes90 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:05 pm

pepperlampkin wrote:
top10hopeful wrote:Based on this information, where should my targets be? Why do I feel like CCN are out of the question even if only 90 other people will score at this level or above.

LSAT: 165
GPA: 3.12
160, 3.28 in at CCN.

I doubt it's out of the question for you.
This gave me so much hope... I applied to CLS and NYU on a whim despite lackluster GPA (3.1, LSAT 168) and basically haven't even given it a second thought because I'm so sure it's a ding. But it's nice to know it might not be fully out of the question!

velvet-lou

Silver

Post removed...

Post by velvet-lou » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:40 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by velvet-lou on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rfhassan

New

REMOVED

Post by rfhassan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:59 pm

REMOVED
Last edited by rfhassan on Thu May 26, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:04 pm

rfhassan wrote:chances please?
GPA 4.0
Lsat: 161, 159, 168
The fact I had to take the lsat three times to get to 168 is making me feel like it would be a negative..
Thoughts and advice appreciated!

Nope, you're good. Apply everywhere.

I want some recent numbers for black male Harvard applicants and LSAT scores

GreekOmega12

Bronze

Post by GreekOmega12 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Bump.

dreamerchic19

Bronze

Post by dreamerchic19 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:11 am

Good to know where to go...

Jessicakes90

Bronze

Post by Jessicakes90 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Just to answer earlier q's...
AA female, 3.1 GPA, 168 LSAT.
Applied in Jan/Feb 2015 to law school (Don't make my mistake.)
Did the SEO program, which I highly recommend.
Currently at GULC. ETA: with almost a full-ride.

I was dinged at NYU and CLS, WL at Duke, Penn and Northwestern. Did not apply to any other T14's because I didn't think I was qualified (Don't make that mistake either.) In everywhere else I applied - Vandy, GW, etc. etc. etc. Decided not to ride the waitlists because I actually want BigLaw in DC and had already began making connections in DC (see SEO program, above). That being said, I met a lot of people over the summer with roughly my stats in at HYS - just make sure you apply early!

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:15 am

Last edited by Cochran on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cochran

Bronze

Post by Cochran » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:18 am

Jessicakes90 wrote:Just to answer earlier q's...

I was dinged at NYU and CLS, WL at Duke, Penn and Northwestern. Did not apply to any other T14's because I didn't think I was qualified (Don't make that mistake either.) In everywhere else I applied - Vandy, GW, etc. etc. etc. Decided not to ride the waitlists because I actually want BigLaw in DC and had already began making connections in DC (see SEO program, above). That being said, I met a lot of people over the summer with roughly my stats in at HYS - just make sure you apply early!
Congrats on GULC! Would you consider applying this weekend/before thanksgiving to be a major advantage? Also, when did submit your SEO application?

Jessicakes90

Bronze

Post by Jessicakes90 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Cochran wrote:
Jessicakes90 wrote:Just to answer earlier q's...

Congrats on GULC! Would you consider applying this weekend/before thanksgiving to be a major advantage? Also, when did submit your SEO application?
Thanks! I definitely think applying before Thanksgiving is an advantage - definitely before December if you can. I applied to everything really late (I think I was the last possible cycle for SEO), but it's still worth it to get it in early! You won't hear back from SEO until acceptances start rolling in - so don't panic - but get the application process going soon if possible.

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Jessicakes90 wrote:
Thanks! I definitely think applying before Thanksgiving is an advantage - definitely before December if you can. I applied to everything really late (I think I was the last possible cycle for SEO), but it's still worth it to get it in early! You won't hear back from SEO until acceptances start rolling in - so don't panic - but get the application process going soon if possible.
Do you mind sharing when you got scholarship info from GULC. I just got in but I've heard bad things about their scholarship generosity.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:02 pm

some numbers from a decade earlier...with some notes about mcat and gmat

http://www.jbhe.com/news_views/51_gradu ... _test.html

Jessicakes90

Bronze

Post by Jessicakes90 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:09 pm

jnwa wrote:
Jessicakes90 wrote:
Do you mind sharing when you got scholarship info from GULC. I just got in but I've heard bad things about their scholarship generosity.
I applied late and got scholarship info pretty late but supposedly GULC is a bit stingy at first because they want to make sure they can give money to everyone. Don't be afraid to negotiate. I used acceptances at T30 schools to negotiate a far higher scholarship at GULC; this was around March.

tvu

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by tvu » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tvu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:28 pm

tvu wrote:
Big Dog wrote:some numbers from a decade earlier...with some notes about mcat and gmat

This is kind of good news (a bit sad)....I'm wondering how this cycle will compare to others since the number of people taking the LSAT and applying has increased.

Anybody here re-taking in December?
Yeah I am. AA male 167/168. I doubt this cycle will be that much different than the past 3-4 years even tho they is a slight uptick in LSAT takers

tvu

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by tvu » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:34 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tvu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rfhassan

New

REMOVED

Post by rfhassan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 pm

REMOVED
Last edited by rfhassan on Thu May 26, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:16 pm

tvu wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
tvu wrote:
Big Dog wrote:some numbers from a decade earlier...with some notes about mcat and gmat

This is kind of good news (a bit sad)....I'm wondering how this cycle will compare to others since the number of people taking the LSAT and applying has increased.

Yeah I am. AA male 167/168. I doubt this cycle will be that much different than the past 3-4 years even tho they is a slight uptick in LSAT takers
Wow, that's a very good score. I'm hoping December will help me get me over the 170 hump....is it the same for you?
I'm so worried b/c my score is fluctuating quite a bit, that I don't know how it will go. :(
Yeah my PTs really fluctuate depending on RC, been anywhere between 169-175 past few weeks. my lsat is good but my GPA sucks (3.1) so I hope I can do well in 2 weeks

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:51 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
tvu wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
tvu wrote:

Wow, that's a very good score. I'm hoping December will help me get me over the 170 hump....is it the same for you?
I'm so worried b/c my score is fluctuating quite a bit, that I don't know how it will go. :(
Yeah my PTs really fluctuate depending on RC, been anywhere between 169-175 past few weeks. my lsat is good but my GPA sucks (3.1) so I hope I can do well in 2 weeks
AA male here as well with a similar GPA and 173 lsat. I wish i chose to rewrite in december ..i ptd a 177 a couple of days ago just to see where i was in case i wanted to rewrite in february. I feel like i could get close to a 180 for december. I honestly just zoned out on one of the reading comp passages or i would have done it.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:25 pm

jnwa wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
tvu wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:
tvu wrote:

AA male here as well with a similar GPA and 173 lsat. I wish i chose to rewrite in december ..i ptd a 177 a couple of days ago just to see where i was in case i wanted to rewrite in february. I feel like i could get close to a 180 for december. I honestly just zoned out on one of the reading comp passages or i would have done it.
Thats dope congrats on the 173. I know what you mean man, in the 170s the margin for error is very tiny, I'm pretty consistent on LR and LG for the most part, but I just can't get RC in that similar -2/3 for the life of me. I had back to back RC sections in October too that really sucked. I think an AA male with a 173 will have plenty of great options tho, although there is no harm in re-taking

tvu

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by tvu » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tvu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:46 pm

tvu wrote: Congrats on the score!! You're definitely a unicorn and will be having an amazing cycle....there's always February for a retake but I am sure, in your case you might only need it for scholarships. What's your top choice?
(
Seems like the most realistic best case scenario would be NYU with a full ride, Harvard would be tempting as well if i got in but i dont think im rich enough to pay sticker or sticker minus need aid anywhere.

velvet-lou

Silver

Post removed...

Post by velvet-lou » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:53 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by velvet-lou on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”