What are your thoughts? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
westcoooasttt

New

What are your thoughts?

Post by westcoooasttt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi all.

I'm currently a junior in college (top 10 public university-UC) and will be applying to schools this fall coming up. I've taken the LSAT 3 times in which I've received a 159 each time. I have a 3.81 LSAC GPA and have worked throughout college all 3 years so far and had 2 law internships. I've also done an extensive amount of community service, primarily tutoring and coaching sports in underprivileged communities. My letter of recommendations come from a lawyer that I interned for and two professors that I've built strong connections with over the years at my university. Oh, I'm also an African-American male that has grown up in LA with an interesting story to tell about my life. I was wondering what my chances would be at applying ED to Columbia? Please be honest in your thoughts. Thanks!

-Westcoast

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Re: What are your thoughts?

Post by Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:21 pm

westcoooasttt wrote:Hi all.

I'm currently a junior in college (top 10 public university-UC) and will be applying to schools this fall coming up. I've taken the LSAT 3 times in which I've received a 159 each time. I have a 3.81 LSAC GPA and have worked throughout college all 3 years so far and had 2 law internships. I've also done an extensive amount of community service, primarily tutoring and coaching sports in underprivileged communities. My letter of recommendations come from a lawyer that I interned for and two professors that I've built strong connections with over the years at my university. Oh, I'm also an African-American male that has grown up in LA with an interesting story to tell about my life. I was wondering what my chances would be at applying ED to Columbia? Please be honest in your thoughts. Thanks!

-Westcoast
It's not looking good, bud. I'm sorry.

I would tell you to retake the exam in hopes of scoring 165+, but that string of 159s is going to be difficult to overcome.

Good luck!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:25 pm

3 159's is actually pretty good. I don't want to predict your cycle but with that GPA and a decent LSAT score + being a black male with an interesting story.......I'd say you are sitting pretty.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Your URM status will give you a nice boost. I'm not sure if it will overcome your relatively low (by T14 standards) LSAT score, but, all things considered, it sounds like you have a good shot. Why are you specifically interested in Columbia??

westcoooasttt

New

Post by westcoooasttt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Mainly location. I've lived in California my entire life and I also have family that lives in New York. I hope to work in New York after college for a while also, then move to California after some years of work experience. Something about living in New York during my early twenties intrigues me, but if Columbia doesn't workout hopefully I can get into NYU.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:40 pm

You have a very good shot as an AA male with those numbers. In fact a poster on this board got into penn and columbia with a 159 so its definitely possible.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:59 am

Honestly?

Write an excellent PS and DS and you will have a shot at the T-14.

There are plenty of 158-161 with lesser GPA's that got into NYU, Chicago, etc this year.

Take a chance. Or take a class and get a school to endorse a 4th retake.

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:57 am

Go for it. You have a shot.

But if you have the time, take a year off, retake LSAT, and try again. Have you tried one of the prep courses? I was able to improve much more with course help, than I did when I was trying to study on my own. For sure worth the investment.

westcoooasttt

New

Post by westcoooasttt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 pm

I've heard a 162 would pretty much make me a lock for ED to Columbia, but then some say I would need a 165+ to even be considered. While I know I should be aiming for 180, what score would put me in admit territory?

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

With your GPA and story (if its truly interesting) I'd say 162 would get you admitted ED. Obviously the higher the score, the better your chances but go for it. Also, don't rule out other T14's. Cornell, Duke, Northwestern, and maybe even Michigan would probably throw more $ at you than Columbia.

brooklynballers

New

Post by brooklynballers » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Start writing your PS and DS now if you are not going to retake it and try to make it flawless. You have a good chance IMO.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:26 pm

I wouldnt suggest NW just because they are obsessed with out of college WE but i think you have an ok shot at T14 but it could go either way. Good luck bro.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:40 pm

The informal rule most people mention is that URM's, especially AA males, get +10 on the LSAT. So, the claim that a 162 helps a person's chances significantly would seem to have support, since that would be equivalent to a 172, which is what Columbia's median will be this year and in the next few years (likely prediction, I'd say). That does not mean that they do not ever go below 162: rather, it just would help you to be at their "median-equivalent". Well, good luck with your applications.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”